Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Worldseriesofpoker.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Easton

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you would be kind enough to offer me some advice. My colleage and I purchased among other domains Worldseriesofpoker.co.uk over a year ago. I have not had time to develop it until now.

Harrah's entertainment has since purchased worldseriesofpoker.com and redirect it to their site. They also stuck trademarks on the words at the US patent office in July 2004 as follows. "Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, organizing, conducting, producing and exhibiting poker events rendered live and through the media of television and the Internet; providing information in the field of poker related tips and strategy; and providing news and information relating to poker events, tournaments, schedules, players and other related topics of interest to the poker player community. FIRST USE: 20040714. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20040714"

My question is, does this prevent me from developing my domain ?

Domain Summit 2024

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, strictly speaking, if you owned the domain name before their first use, then you couldn't have gotten it in bad faith. So in that sense you should be fine if it comes to UDRP or similar disputes.

The big problem, though, is by the nature of the name it sounds like you may have a hard time developing it without infringing upon their trademark. Poker is fairly specific, world series implies global reach (though the UK part suggests regional). If you tried to set up a World Series of Poker, with or without the domain name in question, I imagine you'd run into problems with them... unless you had already developed the phrase for use in business yourself before they did.

And that's not legal advice, I'm not a lawyer, anyone can sue you for anything if they want to and a meteor can crash into the planet at any time making all laws moot.

Graham Easton

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Namedropper, I'm in no way going to rely on anyone's posting here - I'm just curious to hear people's opinions.

I think I may well develop it, and be upfront in the headers/titles that my domain is in no way affiliated with or connected to Harrah's competition. My ownership of the domain does appear to predate their trademarks. I may set it up to mirror www.texashold-empoker.com as the terms will clearly receive loads of search engine hits.

Worst case - I lose the domain or they offer to buy it from me. Naive perhaps, but I live on an island in the middle of nowhere :cheeky:

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's a "world series of poker" trademark with a first use of 1970, and registration of 1975. They'd have a strong claim, should they wish to pursue the domain, as that tournament is famous around the world, broadcast in many countries on television.

Graham Easton

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GeorgeK said:
There's a "world series of poker" trademark with a first use of 1970, and registration of 1975. They'd have a strong claim, should they wish to pursue the domain, as that tournament is famous around the world, broadcast in many countries on television.

George, I'm familiar with the tournament. Is the 1975 mark not just in connection with the sponsoring and or conducting of poker contests? I'd be doing neither. Also, if the trademark is all encompassing, how come someone else was able to register exclusive rights to sell tickets with World Series of Poker on them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom