Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

worst case scenario for TM domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would like your advise on what is the worst case scenario (realistic) if a person accidentaly registers a domain that has part of a TM in it?

lets say HP. That's a TM.
HPdealers
and let's say, since I realize I made a mistake, I dont use it until it expires. Other than getting a C&D, does it get worse?

I dont own HPdealers, I am giving an example.

the important part here, is 'dealers' or 'dealer', I thought that a dealer of a company might not be an actualy TM violation, but I really have no idea.

P.S.
Please don't tell me that they'll come after me with helicopters in the middle of the night and kidnap me :)

Any help is much appreciated,
thank you in advance!

Domain Summit 2024

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're okay ..... they won't come at night!

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you live in the US, the worst case scenario is that you get sued for cybersquatting and trademark infringement and trademark dilution and you get assessed the $100,000 statutory penalty for cybersquatting and you must pay opposing counsel fees and you lose your house and your business and you must file for bankruptcy and you lose your reputation.

If you live outside the US, you face the wrath of local laws, plus a loss of your reputation.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks.
Even if it's not a .com, and the .net is used by someone other than them?

So basically, I have to live in fear until the name expires?

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If your terribly concerned...you can always delete the domain from your account.

Most of the time, companies aren't going to
come at you full force unless you give them reason too. Remain professional at all times, refrain from emotional responses.

As to your reputation, if you don't make a habit of regging tms and you don't end up fighting the tm holder with baseless excuses of why you regged it ( if its a obivous tm ) and claim they are wrong to come after you ... you should be ok, no ones perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom