Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

would you pay $5000.00 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if there was a name- the exact phrase only did 680 in overture, it pulled in quotes 21,500 pages in google, and just the .com and .org was taken- was 3 words, 10 letters....
would you pay $5000.00 for this domain?

TcDa

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally... no freakin' way.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you can post the domain name for more accurate appraisals

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on what kind of overture w/ext or w/out ext? Otherwise we need to see the name for a better appraisal

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WITH extension- zero.
the domain is not mine- i am trying hard every day to learn the ins and outs of domains- dealing with how different forums do things, trying to learn what to buy and what not to buy.
this is not an easy thing.
we all hope for "the great one" that will at least make up for the hunrdeds we have bought.
this 5000.00 domain is listed as a "premium" domain- and after all i have read about all the things that make a domain a good one- i see this, and it makes no sense what-so-ever, and then i wonder if i am going in the wrong direction...
blah- i love his domain stuff- but alot of i is aggravating.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sounds like a $20 domain to me

hercules

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
agreed but what do I know!!
Im close to broke so Im an expert!!!

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Impossible to tell without knowing the name, but sounds like the name would be under $100.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its redhairdye.com- i thought if i look at higher priced sites i could get an idea of what i should be aiming for. then i see this and i have to wonder- what the heck direction should i be going in with names if this is asking 5 grand. now unless i typed in redhairdye.com "wrong" into overture AND google- i just dont get what i am missing ;-(

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, how much red hair dye you gonna sell on the internet and make $1.82? you can buy it in almost any store and is really an impulse item. That would be if you developed it , without development the name is worth $20, maybe a bit more.

Now, if that was ovt with extension 600 then you would have to dig to take a closer look to convince yourself it was true type-in traffic, then you might be biting at 5k

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WITH extension- zero....

Hey Smash, don't forget to put things in perspective... Overture tracks SEARCHES via the Yahoo Network only.

So there are several things to understand about what you just said.

1 - Do YOU search WITH ext when you search for something? Say you're looking for Apple Pie, do you type "applepie.com" in the search bar? Do youy even type "applepie" without the space? Or do you type "apple pie"?

Seeing a term searched WITH extension gives you an "idiot" factor that can't tell a search box from the address bar.

So weight that accordingly.

2 - OVT scores/results DO NOT include Google Search numbers. People overwhelmingly use Google to search as opposed to Yahoo... but what are the differences? Some people say not much, others say 10 times more for Google than Yahoo. I've seen other members of this forum use Google's API program to prove that Google gets as much as 1000% or MORE search traffic in many cases.

3 - OVT doesn't segragate typo's or hyphens. So consider that they may, or may not, be part of your search results.

4 - OVT allows FRAUD. If you are really vested in manipulating your results, you can search your own domain, with ext over and over again and run the OVT numbers UP. It is fraud as far as I'm concerned and I'm not convinced that a ton of people are not avoiding this practice. I wonder sometimes how, when I see a domain for sale on a forum, that that domain has a huge, magical number of searches with ext. Perhaps fraud? I don't know. But the fact that it can be done causes me NOT to trust the OVT scores.

Seriously, the only REAL thing I use OVT for is to see if a term or word is searched AT ALL and what other search phrases may come up with it. Then, I can use the top few or highest searched terms for my META Tags on my website or for Search Engine Optimization, keywork link structuring or other methods for getting my related site's page rank up.

That's about it.

MORE THAN NOT, you will see OVT scores used to talk you DOWN in the value of a domain... not to give it value.

So, if you want to know why or if a domain is worth $5000 bucks, you look at the TRAFFIC VOLUME the domain is getting and how that converts to DOLLARS. If in 3 - 5 years that domains stands to earn MORE than $5000, then it's probably a good buy. If it stands to only make a few hundred, then adjust your offer accordingly.

Other factors like Branding, market share/surge, retail opportunity and the price/profit of the goods sold through the domain, etc. all manipulate the price as well.

OVT is a tool... and a pretty weak one at that. If you buy or sell domains based on OVT, you WILL cost yourself Money. In a big way.

Best of luck to ya. :)

GoPC

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Smash, don't forget to put things in perspective... Overture tracks SEARCHES via the Yahoo Network only.

So there are several things to understand about what you just said.

1 - Do YOU search WITH ext when you search for something? Say you're looking for Apple Pie, do you type "applepie.com" in the search bar? Do youy even type "applepie" without the space? Or do you type "apple pie"?

Seeing a term searched WITH extension gives you an "idiot" factor that can't tell a search box from the address bar.

So weight that accordingly.

2 - OVT scores/results DO NOT include Google Search numbers. People overwhelmingly use Google to search as opposed to Yahoo... but what are the differences? Some people say not much, others say 10 times more for Google than Yahoo. I've seen other members of this forum use Google's API program to prove that Google gets as much as 1000% or MORE search traffic in many cases.

3 - OVT doesn't segragate typo's or hyphens. So consider that they may, or may not, be part of your search results.

4 - OVT allows FRAUD. If you are really vested in manipulating your results, you can search your own domain, with ext over and over again and run the OVT numbers UP. It is fraud as far as I'm concerned and I'm not convinced that a ton of people are not avoiding this practice. I wonder sometimes how, when I see a domain for sale on a forum, that that domain has a huge, magical number of searches with ext. Perhaps fraud? I don't know. But the fact that it can be done causes me NOT to trust the OVT scores.

Seriously, the only REAL thing I use OVT for is to see if a term or word is searched AT ALL and what other search phrases may come up with it. Then, I can use the top few or highest searched terms for my META Tags on my website or for Search Engine Optimization, keywork link structuring or other methods for getting my related site's page rank up.

That's about it.

MORE THAN NOT, you will see OVT scores used to talk you DOWN in the value of a domain... not to give it value.

So, if you want to know why or if a domain is worth $5000 bucks, you look at the TRAFFIC VOLUME the domain is getting and how that converts to DOLLARS. If in 3 - 5 years that domains stands to earn MORE than $5000, then it's probably a good buy. If it stands to only make a few hundred, then adjust your offer accordingly.

Other factors like Branding, market share/surge, retail opportunity and the price/profit of the goods sold through the domain, etc. all manipulate the price as well.

OVT is a tool... and a pretty weak one at that. If you buy or sell domains based on OVT, you WILL cost yourself Money. In a big way.

Best of luck to ya. :)

GoPC

All of that is true, but in this case of redhairdye.com , which dotcomagency is holding , he will never see stats I don't believe, I see nothing on the domain myself to justify the asking.

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ok- i got the point on the ovt scores- and THANK YOU so much for taking the time to explain all that so completely.
so there is no real way to do the same thing with google- you can just kinda see how popular a site is based on how many pages?
btw- i typed into google "red hair dye" and into overture red hair dye, and redhairdye.com.
as far as seeing dollars now or later- i agree with dnjet that it is an impulse item. being a female myself, when i color my hair- i am not going to order my color online and pay shipping when i can run up to the grocery store- plus, its color, with many shades- you need to see that stuff in person- believe me (i have tried the red thing).

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All of that is true, but in this case of redhairdye.com , which dotcomagency is holding , he will never see stats I don't believe, I see nothing on the domain myself to justify the asking.

LOL!!!

When I started typing, that post hadn't been made yet! I just saw the domain and you're right... Reg Fee at best.

The point remains though... regardless of what the domain is, the propensity to convert traffic to revenue is the key to assessing its value.

GoPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom