Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

YaHooters.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I picked up this domain on a drop 2 years ago, and I have never heard anything from Yahoo (or Hooters for that matter). It was just parked on a Godaddy park page. Then on Jan 14th, it was not showing in my GoDaddy account, and the Whois says that it now belongs to Yahoo Inc!

I contacted GoDaddy, and they said that it was involved in a legal dispute including many "YAHOO" domain names, and that it was transferred to Yahoo. I was never notified by Yahoo, the court, or GoDaddy during any of this! I never had a chance to expain my side...

They sent the court order, along with a list of 1865 defendant domains that contain the word "yahoo" or variations of "yahoo", compiled in 2005. All the domains had contact information outside of the US. The list showed the old owner's information for "yahooters.com", it is someone in the Netherlands. My name and info is not on the order or the list.

Their compaint alleges "Cyberpiracy", trademark infringement, engagement in unfair competition, and trademark dilution.

They were able to get a default judgment "In Rem" because they claim to have tried to contact the domain registrants several times but were unable, and also because the registrants where all outside of the US... It is obvious that they were just using the old contact information in these attempts, but my actual contact information in the U.S. was on the whois for the past two years and they never notified me once!

I can't believe that they were able to do this. They should have been required to dispute the name through ordinary channels, or at least to check and see if the whois information had been updated at some point during this... I NEVER had a chance to defend myself against these claims and now my name is gone!

Is there anything I can do?

Domain Summit 2024

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can hire a lawyer and fight but it is probably a hollow victory if the domain is worth xxx and the attorney is gonna cost you xx,xxx

And yes, there is no justice on planet Earth

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Another reason NOT to use GoDaddy.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
holt sh*t are you serious? they just took your domain? SUE THEIR ASSES OFF, it's exactly what I would and will do if they ever pull this shit with me..

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Godaddy is worthless in cases like this. They just don't give a shit about the customer when it coems to legal issues.

Dimva

High Traffic Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow that sucks. Without contacting you or anything.. Maybe the domain isnt worth fighting for but still, it cant work like this.. I have like 1 or 2 domains over at godaddy.. Moved them all to moniker.. Do the same!

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i cant believe godaddy does it even without informing domain owner- when you have many domain in account- you might not even notice domain have disappeared

shame to godaddy!

Jeffreyw

Football Club owner
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that this thing happens, i wonder if other registrars would act scandalous like Godaddy.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Godaddy is worthless in cases like this. They just don't give a shit about the customer when it coems to legal issues.

Uh...why should a provider assume the legal risks for an end-user over a $7 to
$10 a year contract?

Why the OP supposedly never received any communications about it is anyone's
guess, although John B and others can give a few guesses why.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another reason NOT to use GoDaddy.
Ditto.
I have always been baffled some people keep their LL .com there :eek:
They could be taken away from you without you even take notice.

Poohnix

Lost @Space
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Those kind of things unfortunately happens, and it sucks.. Shouldn't the court decision be void since Yahoo provided incorrect information, and (even if only through through neglect) lied about contacting the domain owners? (Obviously they didn't try to contact the current owners.) What else did they lie about? (But to show that would of course be too expensive.)

But if Yahoo owns that domain now, why not contact Hooters and have them sue Yahoo for trademark infringement?!? ;)

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
But if Yahoo owns that domain now, why not contact Hooters and have them sue Yahoo for trademark infringement?!? ;)

thats a good idea.. - would be interesting to watch who would win

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ya, Hooters are good :)

Ya!

It contains the word "yahoo", but it is split between two other words. Is it automatically infringing?

What if the financial company "ING" decides to go after all domains that include their trademark-- look out skiing.com, fishing.com...domaining.com.

haynes8

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This really is disturbing since I have quite a few domains at godaddy, I did not know they were less than reputable.

What registrars actually stand behind thier customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom