Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Your investment in Mobi... Are you Up, Down or Even?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I realize the dust has settled for Mobi long ago, So I'm curious to hear from those who came out ahead and from those who didn't.

This is after deducting reg fees and what you paid for the domain(s), (where many paid more than what they can resell them for)

Also, how many did you register/purchase? How many do you still have?

Thanks

Domain Summit 2024

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a few nice early sales that almost doubled my initial reg fees...I only have I think 5-6 names left and have been paying reg fees - so eventually it will catch up. Not a money maker for me at all.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
By the time .mobi launched I wasn't even a domainer. Today I own just one which was deleted a month ago by its previous owner. I only got it because it is a geo .mobi

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I probably own less than 10. Dropped a couple and have picked up a few premium letter LLL.mobi in the last year. Also got my personal initials LLL.mobi with a hand reg last week. I use one .mobi for my business mobile site, it's just a few pages but the domain is the word for my profession, like 'engineer' or 'teacher', but not that popular a profession.

.mobi never really took off, but it is still around and has a heartbeat. You still see some sales almost every week at Dnjournal.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I came out big on my .mobi investments. I focused mainly only pronouncable 3 letters such as reo.mobi and I sold all of them in the first month for high xxx - low x,xxx. I didnt invest in .mobi after that and no longer hold any in my portfolio.

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cleared $1200 profit...have none now. Had 40 at most

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I never really got into .mobi ...but there are many that did well very early in the game.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting how only those who did not lose a ton of money or made profit are posting.

I am certain the vast majority of domainers lost money on .mobi except for a fraction who dumped mostly by luck just prior to the huge decline.

P.S. I have read 3 letter .mobi's are now valued at reg fee.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I realize the dust has settled for Mobi long ago, So I'm curious to hear from those who came out ahead and from those who didn't.

This is after deducting reg fees and what you paid for the domain(s), (where many paid more than what they can resell them for)

Also, how many did you register/purchase? How many do you still have?

Thanks

i had regged 2 .mobi domains and bought one from a member here for $50

i dropped the two i regged and sold the last one recently > webinar.mobi on sedo

made a $$$ profit

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
have one that i probalby could of sold for 40k during the hype but i didn't sell so..

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a few nice early sales that almost doubled my initial reg fees...I only have I think 5-6 names left and have been paying reg fees - so eventually it will catch up. Not a money maker for me at all.

If you haven't been able to move those domains on the Forums, I would think the wise thing to do is allow them to drop.

As for me, I invested in only one .mobi, not as a investment but because I liked the domain and it was the only common TLD available, I kept it for a couple years and allowed it to drop last year, nobody picked it up since... I think I made enough money on PPC to recover the reg fees, which was amazing because traffic to that domain was almost non-existent.

Interesting how only those who did not lose a ton of money or made profit are posting.

I am certain the vast majority of domainers lost money on .mobi except for a fraction who dumped mostly by luck just prior to the huge decline.

I appreciate your honesty, Funny you should post this because I was afraid many here would be embarrassed posting a loss. Honestly, I don't see the shame in it, I think we all made mistakes in this business where we've lost money, It's the nature of any business.

I allowed almost 100 dot coms to drop last year and these are names I kept for over 5 years..... But you make it up elsewhere.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

If you have sex.mobi, cam.mobi or rob.mobi I will take them for reg fee - lol

but seriously, back then there were a lot of people posting long .mobi lists of hand regs they had bought. would be good to hear from them.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bought one and that was one too many, it was and still is dnforum.mobi

-=DCG=-

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thee is still a small market for .mobi domains. Needs to be top keywords/generics but those can make some money in the aftermarket. On the whole though, it was a big bust..."Hello?, ICANN? Anyone listing regarding the new TLD rollouts?"

Newton

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to register some nice premiums; some were sold for profit and others have been kept and developed. Needless to say, I have dropped a large amount of generics / first name mobi's that I registered and I am constantly updating my portfolio by adding more suitable mobi's as they are dropped.
Have I made money... yes, do I consistantly make money each month... yes, will I most like keep purchasing... yes so long as it makes me money. At the height of registrations I believe I owned around 1200 mobi's and now, roughly 500.

Last edited:
T

tekz999

If you want to be the king of the world, then you need have the king of the world vision to make the king of the world purchases at the king of the world timing. Yes, I have won in .mobi, and it makes me feel like the king of the world.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you want to be the king of the world, then you need have the king of the world vision to make the king of the world purchases at the king of the world timing. Yes, I have won in .mobi, and it makes me feel like the king of the world.

Once your king of the world, the only direction you can take is down or death while at the top. ;)

-=DCG=-

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought one and that was one too many, it was and still is dnforum.mobi

-=DCG=-

Protecting your TM is always a smart business decision, If by some miracle mobi took off, you didn't want to be in the position of paying the guy who beat you to it.

Have I made money... yes, do I consistantly make money each month... yes, will I most like keep purchasing... yes so long as it makes me money. At the height of registrations I believe I owned around 1200 mobi's and now, roughly 500.

Out of the 700 remaining, how many did you allow to drop?

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you haven't been able to move those domains on the Forums, I would think the wise thing to do is allow them to drop.
Nope. These are ones I have not been looking to move - I received offers on each one of them shortly after regging them. They are related to my niche and I want them...they are just not making me $$ right now.

Newton

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Out of the 700 remaining, how many did you allow to drop?

Out of the 500 remaining I will be dropping 60 or so, but I have just bought another 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom