Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

You've gotta be kidding me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just received this via email regarding one of my domain names, "Colombian.org". From what I make of the letter, they just don't want me to promote coffee on the site (should I build one).

Is there any reason for me to be worried or to take any action?

Here is the email:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Re: colombian.org

Dear Mr. Batha:

As you may be aware, the Republic of Colombia (the "Republic") is the owner of the United States federally registered certification mark COLOMBIAN (Registration No. 1,160,492) for coffee (the "Certification Mark"). The National Federation of Coffee Growers of Colombia (the "Federation") acts on the Republic's behalf, through the Colombian Coffee
Federation, Inc., to enforce the Republic's rights with respect to the Certification Mark. The Republic has used the Certification Mark for a lengthy period of time. The Certification Mark is a valuable asset that represents, among other things, the Republic's good will and reputation to the public, and the Federation must take all necessary steps to protect it.

It has come to our attention that you have registered the domain
name colombian.org (the "Domain Name"). Although there is no operational web site at the Domain Name as of this writing, we would like to make clear to you the implications of such registration.

The Federation and the Republic have invested substantial
resources in promoting Colombian coffee to consumers worldwide. The use and/or individual appropriation of the word "Colombian" (which as noted above has been registered in the U.S. as a mark) or words confusingly similar to Colombian, by way of an internet domain name or a trademark,
constitute an improper use of a descriptor that effectively takes the goodwill of the Federation and the Republic for private commercial advantage.

The Federation therefore believes that registration of the Domain
Name constitutes "bad faith registration" of a domain name, according to the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (the "ICANN Policy"). Furthermore, such registration will also constitute a violation of applicable trademark laws and infringe the Certification Mark should you operate a web site from the Domain Name which relates to or commercializes
coffee products or services associated with coffee because it is likely to cause confusion among consumers as to the source of the goods or services that you may offer on your web site. Such incorporation of the Certification Mark into the Domain Name is likely to create the misimpression that the Republic or the Federation owns, endorses, supports, promotes and/or operates any web site connected to the Domain Name.

For these reasons, the Federation demands that you abstain from promoting, advertising or commercializing coffee products, or products or services associated with coffee in connection with the Domain Name. This letter serves as notice of a dispute between you and the Federation under the ICANN Policy should you ignore the Federation's demands.

We would also like to emphasize that the Federation does not
intend to prevent you from selling Colombian coffees, or referring to coffees as "Colombian," as long as those coffees comply with applicable Certification Mark standards. The Federation's objective, as mandated by U.S. law, is to deter the use of the valuable mark "Colombian" to identify a particular brand as a trademark or a coffee-related domain name, or to
sell non-Colombian or below grade coffees.

We trust that you will recognize the importance of this matter,
and we anticipate your prompt response to this letter.....
--------------------------------------------------

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That was a "nice" email, it could have been worse.

No coffee products.. that's all .. so.. there are many other things you can promote on Colombian.org.
They may end up being the prime potential "buyer" of the domain.

goodluck

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by domainicanicanica
I just received this via email regarding one of my domain names, "Colombian.org".

Not far fetched at all. Remember "canadian", and the molson company. Molson won.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's one other export from Columbia bigger than coffee. You know what I mean?

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ROFL no kidding. Put up a page with the following:

"Colombian government bans coffee - free putas & coca!"

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually Molson won the arbritation on Canadian.biz and lost the legal case that followed with costs.

As for exports from Columbia bigger than coffee one that comes to mind is coke in one of its non trademark uses.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Set up an online trading site for leftist rebel hi-jackers, where they can bid on and swap kidnap victims.

That, cocaine, and marijuana should avoid damaging their valuable mark...

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FineE
Actually Molson won the arbritation on Canadian.biz and lost the legal case that followed with costs.

It would definitely be a good case study for this particular situation.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, use the site to promote Columbia jackets at a reduced price from china.

Or, your own line of handtools or suntan lotion.

Word Mark COLUMBIAN
Goods and Services : A full line of hand tools and accessories therefor for automotive, plumbing, carpentry, yard, workshop and industrial use; and parts and fittings for such hand tools and accessories
COLUMBIAN
Goods and Services : Suntan preparations, namely, suntan oils, suntan lotions, suntan gels, after-sun lotions, moisturizers, sun blocks and sun-screens

Or, promote the increased consumption of Tea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom