Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Zip Code .com Domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 70408

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What are zip code .com names selling for these days? Every since Marchex bought most of them, and since the .nets and other extensions are mostly taken, I am wondering what the value is.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing. There CAN'T be that many left... and if Marchex wants to corner the market on them, the once remaining MUST be worth some cash.

Anyone care to speculate? Or is this a no-no subject? ;)

GoPC

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
According to zipinfo.com : only about 43,000 of the 100,000 possible 5-digit ZIP codes are currently in use.

I've seen a few around here for sale.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is that possible 100K in all ext? Or are there 100K zips in dot com only?

Which brings up another questions? Which are more valuable? I hear that .US zips are all but extinct.

Is there a preference to which ext. is better?

GoPC

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have seen zip code NNN.com going for 8 to 10K

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NNN.com?

Yeah, 3 number dot commons get good money. I'm talking about ZIP codes, not area codes.

Zip codes have 5 digits.

Question is, what do 5 digit zip codes go for nowadays?

GoPC

Yum

Editor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have NNNNN.com zip domain.
XXXX maybe.

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have NNNNN.com zip domain.
XXXX maybe.

That's what I've been seeing... but I wanted to be sure.

So... is $xxxx the consensus?

GoPC

DNCatalog.com

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have seen them sell in the xxx range during the past year, but I have not seen any sales recently. I will not sell any of mine for less than xxxx.

Deleted member 70408

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think $x,xxx. I am currently selling 40513.com (Lexington, KY zip) and it is being offered on the forum for less than $200 - in the numeric sale section.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have around 30 or so ranging from sub 1000 population to around 20,000 population.

I would probably sell to a reseller for around $125 for the sub 1000 population names and up to about $1000, if I can get it, for the higher population and higher income per capita zip codes.

Note added 21 sept 2007:
Things change fast. Prices for zip codes have increased and I would be looking for more than this in today's market.

Yum

Editor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What do u think of 10055.com?
It is a Zip name.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
each zip code in the US covers very small area and not much population. i don't see any value in it except some may get a few type-ins per day. unless you own all 43,000 zip code dot com, then it's another story.

whoisgodaddy

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I realize this thread is very old, but if I don't know where (if anywhere) there is a current conversation going about zip code domain names. Anyway, my question relates to a 10+ year old zip code domain name that I own, 20009.com, which is a very popular place to live in DC, right next to the National Zoo, Rock Creek Park, and more. There are all kinds of businesses, including retail, restaurants, bars, etc. The population is about 50,000 and median home value is over $500,000. At least once a year, someone contacts me to buy the domain name, but I'm not sure how to counter their $XXX offers. Suggestions? What about making a directory out of it or otherwise monetizing it myself? Last question: Most valuable end user to try to sell to? Real estate / mortgage?? Thanks.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I realize this thread is very old, but if I don't know where (if anywhere) there is a current conversation going about zip code domain names. Anyway, my question relates to a 10+ year old zip code domain name that I own, 20009.com, which is a very popular place to live in DC, right next to the National Zoo, Rock Creek Park, and more. There are all kinds of businesses, including retail, restaurants, bars, etc. The population is about 50,000 and median home value is over $500,000. At least once a year, someone contacts me to buy the domain name, but I'm not sure how to counter their $XXX offers. Suggestions? What about making a directory out of it or otherwise monetizing it myself? Last question: Most valuable end user to try to sell to? Real estate / mortgage?? Thanks.

Are you satisfied with $XXX? If not, counter with what you think it is worth, no explanation necessary. It's your property, valuate it how you wish. You'd be surprised at $XX offers, countered with mid $XXXX and met in-between with 'negotiations' (as far as offer/counter-offer, I won't waste time explaining why). How much do you think you can monetize that zip code that Yelp or another directory isn't already profiteering off of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators