Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

$25M for the scientist that "cures" Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Scientists to Vie for $25M Climate Prize

British tycoon Richard Branson dangled a $25 million prize before the world's top scientists Friday seeking to spur research into devising ways to suck greenhouse gases out of the air.

Former Vice President Al Gore lent his support to the challenge, which came a week after a landmark report by the world's leading climate scientists and government officials warned that global warming will continue, creating a far different planet in 100 years.

"Man created the problem, therefore man should solve the problem," Branson said.

He compared the quest to a competition Britain's Parliament launched in 1714 to devise a method of estimating longitude accurately. Six decades passed before English clockmaker John Harrison received his prize from King George III for discovering an accurate method.

"The Earth cannot wait 60 years. We need everybody capable of discovering an answer to put their minds to it today," Branson said.

Branson hopes his offer will lead to a viable machine for vacuuming the Earth's atmosphere of carbon dioxide, one of the greenhouse gases blamed for rising temperatures.

It's an idea many scientists and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change say may be possible someday.

David Keith, a University of Calgary engineering professor who has a provisional patent on carbon atmospheric capture technology, said the key is developing a process that is cost effective.

"People have been doing it for 50 years ... after all the plant in my office does it," he said.

Story

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Publicity stunt.

It worked. Branson and Gore got plenty of free publicity with this.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hitler had a plan that would have done the trick. Where have all the good guys gone?

rusty123

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Suck greenhouse gases out of the air?. Plant more tree's.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nuke China? There it is. Thank you for my $25 million Mr. Branson.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm currently up to my bollocks in snow at the moment in Derbyshire.
Bring on Global warming! LOL :lol:
Pred ;)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Replant the millions of acres of rainforest with fast growing trees, since that ecosystem that's nearly lost in many parts of the world used to exchange millions of tons of carbon dioxide into oxygen through photosynthesis and help keep those levels in check... :hug:

DNA

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Decrease carbon and green house emissions. US should initiate first coz it produces the highest amount then other industrial nations should follow. environment shouldn't be compromised with economy, i guess. If we can't live healthy, money is useless.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Aw, c'mon. That's not fair. The cash isn't the prize and never will be, much like the X-prize. It's the fame of the achievement. The $25 million is merely a token.

And forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't Branson dedicate $3B towards global warming because he said his engines are one of the big contributors?

H

H2FC

An invention that would scrub the Co2 from the atmosphere would be worth much more than 25 million, maybe a thousand times that would be a more appropriate value. But I'm glad to see Branson making the offer because it does call attention to the seriousness of the GW threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators