Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Anti-bumping rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanogl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can we have some rules against bumping? I usually browse this forum by asking the system for "New Posts" and I find it annoying to find that many "New posts" in especially the "Names for Sale" section are just bumps.

The easiest way would be too simply declare it officially as unwanted behaviour, then offenders can can at least be warned.
A stricter solution would be not to give a new timestamp to a thread if the poster of the reply is the same as the prevous poster.

Hans

Upvote 0

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There is another side to this. If you post for a valuation that you really would like some info on, and a couple of people post multiple threads, you tend to get pushed off the page fairly quickly. Bumping gives you a chance to get a reply from members in a different time zone.

Domain Summit 2024

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree hanogl. It just clutters up the board. If people want to participate in whatever is posted, they will look for it. As for appraisals, for those that actually want to do it ... I'm sure they can find them under the Appraisal section.

Most of the time, the reason posts are not replied to is because nobody is interested in what was posted.

Shaun

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i'm with domainpairs here...

I think bumping the post to the top is perfectly acceptable due to the speed with which new threads are created here.

to say people will search for them is probably untrue as i'm sure most people only skim through looking for valid topics on the first page.

but i also concede that is should be kept to a minimum i.e. one sales thread per day and you are allowed to bump it the day after then if no one responds then you have to let it drop off the edge of the world of its own accord.

hanogl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainPairs and Ciqala,

I'm sorry but your arguments make no sense. Effectively what you are saying is "I would rather first see old postings that nobody is interested in than the postings that are new."

As for me, I am an active buyer and I always browse through all new postings in the Sales forum, regardless of the page they are on. What's more, if people start bumping I'll only get annoyed and tend to ignore their postings.

Hans

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm on both sides. Threads do fall off the page quickly. I think its fine to bump once or twice. I think it also depends on the name. If the name is worthless, then it probably doesn't deserve a bump, like some others do.

RMF

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am okay with bumping in the for-sale forum when the 'bump' includes a price decrease. NamePopper is the master of this sales technique, and I think it works well. ;)

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bump

j/k

I don't care about bumps, it really isn't a big issue. What really pis*es me off is in the domains wanted section. People post there and then never reply back or say that they've found what they were looking for. Then you get threads that get revived and stay in circulation for ever.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's be practical here. On the names for sale board, people can post once a day. It seems to me if someone wants to use that post to bump an old one, it should be fine. It certainly beats making a new post to try to sell the same name.

On the other hand I've seen people sometimes bump the post if nobody has replied within less than two hours. That's pretty ridiculous.

It seems to me that if you want to avoid bumps you should just increase the total number of boards. I think it'd be very helpful to split the for sale and appraisal threads into separate categories by extensions, for example. Maybe not splitting them all off separate, but by groups at least.

There can also be a valuation thread for the people who want to ask questions about value in general, like what's the value of a .ws versus .com, or how much does a hyphen take off, or etc., instead of littering that in the appraisal section.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Agree with Sharpboy ... I even go into the threads there sometimes and say something like, "Hey, how's it going? Hello?? Did you find what you were looking for??" ... all the time.
I think Posters there should come back and update, really.
Take care.

hanogl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Namedropper: if people could only post once a day then that would indeed solve the problem. However, the rule is that they can only create one new thread a day. There is nothing to stop them to bump every thread they created in the last 10 days. (Exaggerated I know, but I hope it makes my point clear.)

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
im with hanogl on this - ive made my point of about bumping before

on some days ive read the same thread several times because the owner decides to bump it periodically which pushes other threads i havent read to the bottom of the pile

domainpairs said "Bumping gives you a chance to get a reply from members in a different time zone." but the only reason this is needed is because bumping is there in the first place:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators