Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Appraisal Section....I have come to ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickHoldem

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
....the conclusion that if you seek an appraisal here, make sure you don't act excited about your name. Unless you own car.com, acting excited about a name you own tends to make people ignore your inquiry...I would say mostly this is the result of either "spite" or "jealously"....not sure which one. Just a heads up to you folks that wonder why you may not be getting any appraisals when you act like you won the lotto.

CH

:car:

Domain Summit 2024

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The people that DO know, don't want you to know they know while the people that don't know want you to think they do know.

Interested people don't want you to know their interest and its value while uninterested people think it has no value.

It really is a conflict of interest no matter how you look at it.

Even so, there do seem to be folks that render their honest opinons and an equal measure of people that simple troll for berating newer members.

The real truth to an appraisal is to simply take it with a grain of salt. Had you asked what "youtube" was worth before it was branded, there would have been a few dozen people here ready to hand you your dignity on the end of a toothpick.

Value and Beauty is in the eye of the developer in many cases. The rest of the "good" valuations are no brainer, generic, unavailable to the masses, been taken for ever, don't bother unless you have a million dollars anyway, kind of names.

Best of luck to everyone :)

GoPC

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
....the conclusion that if you seek an appraisal here, make sure you don't act excited about your name. Unless you own car.com, acting excited about a name you own tends to make people ignore your inquiry...I would say mostly this is the result of either "spite" or "jealously"....not sure which one. Just a heads up to you folks that wonder why you may not be getting any appraisals when you act like you won the lotto.

CH

there is a third reason people dont appraisse names that lister hypes up. I usually dont because It tends to lend itself to a long drawn out argument about the worth of the domain. I do agree it is kinda counter productive to ask potential buyers the value of your names. I have no reason to fudge an appraissal because i have never bought a domain nor do I ever plan on buying one. With a few exceptions most names i own were appraissed by fellow domainers as being worth zero, thats including the ones that now make thousands parked

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True, it's hard (if not impossible) to solicit honest opinion (not professional appraisal). To be frank, if I were interested in a certain domain, rendering an honest opinion here would probably raise my cost of acquiring it in the near future. Having said that, there ARE some decent and well elaborated insight once in a while. ;)

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I post when nothing else is active, an appraisal thread rarely starts a discussion worth commenting on, unlike the platinum forum where threads like this come up with peoples actual opinions and input not just numbers

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

CH

I assume that you're saying this out of experience. First of all, you're not correct in your assumption. Usually the people that act "excited" about a domain name are newbies that truely do have a horrible name. Experienced people are going to see this and, 1) Ignore them, or 2) tear them apart. Usually the newbie will counter the insult stating why the domain name is so great which only opens him/her up to more insults.

If you want an appraisal on a domain name try to be as detailed as possible. Try to include the Google returns, Google trends report, overture, Google images, and the actual meaning of the domain name. Doing this will help you to get an accurate appraisal from your peers.

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Appraisals are worthless. I've said it before and I'll say it again. A domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay.. You can have an appraisal for 10k but it's meaningless if no-one will pay 10k for it. Makes you wonder who appraised it at 10k. Offer to sell it to them for 5k. Bet they don't buy :)
Folks who appraise are not the ones who buy.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Appraisals are worthless. I've said it before and I'll say it again. A domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay.. You can have an appraisal for 10k but it's meaningless if no-one will pay 10k for it. Makes you wonder who appraised it at 10k. Offer to sell it to them for 5k. Bet they don't buy :)
Folks who appraise are not the ones who buy.

I agree with this in general

I like to post names sometimes, just to see what others think, but it has no effect on what I would sell the domain for.

there are quite a few members who get mad because they don't get the expected results from replies, but I don't care if you put $0 value on every name I post!

Like "fatter" ...I get checks every month :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom