• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Buying a lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaStiz

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Messages
1,935
Reaction score
1
Ok, so I am a huge .US fan because i think the market is completely underbought.

Daily, I come across huge coporations .us name that is not regged.

I could name off 3 right now that if I said to anyone here, no matter what part of the world, you would know the company...and yet they don't have their .us name

Would you:

Buy and try to convert the traffic (assuming it even gets any)
Buy and hope the company contacts you and sell it to them
Buy and hope the company does not contact you
Stay the hell away

?

I want to hear your thoughts. Right now I am doing the last one as I dont want to buy a lawsuit for 8$ (or wipo or udrp, or just plain trouble).

Let me know your thoughts.
 
We are way past that stage with these names. Like global companies...stuff for example on the same level as xerox and places like that.
 
I'll sell you a lawsuit for $4. 1/2 price!
 
I would register it only if there would be a reason to expect traffic
 
Stay the hell away.
 
see, i think that US is quite different from most countries in the whole law-suit thing. going to court in the continental europe because of a domain is a lot less likely than in the US. if you expect considerable traffic then buy those names... i'd take a chance. then again, who knows, maybe 1 out of 100 will become a big problem.
 
Just thinking out loud here - could you buy them through an offshore company that has no other assets ? Would that offer you some personal protection if they came after you?
 
i think that would help, especially if the names of the companies you buy arent as big as microsoft and etc. international law is very hard to uphold and such courtcases are quite rare.
 
Please forgive me for being naive, but is there any mileage in registering these and then if one does come after you, just plead stupidity and ignorance of youth or whatever and just turn over the domain in the hope that in the meantime you will have made a profit off it anyway?

My thoughts are that if these huge companies have not registered their .us names then they are not that interested in them. If you sit on them and quietly just take in the type in revenue without calling attention to yourself, the chances of you being contacted I would have thought be reduced.
 
Don´t get involved in any TM issues, it is not worth it.
I only once got THE letter from a big food company and was lucky to get out of this situation without any financial harm - but not without a lot of stress.

I think you have to ask yourself if any potential earnings that you could get through those names are really worth the trouble... if I want such excitement I rather put a bet on a horse.
 
PapaStiz said:
Ok, so I am a huge .US fan because i think the market is completely underbought.

Daily, I come across huge coporations .us name that is not regged.

I could name off 3 right now that if I said to anyone here, no matter what part of the world, you would know the company...and yet they don't have their .us name

Would you:

Buy and try to convert the traffic (assuming it even gets any)
Buy and hope the company contacts you and sell it to them
Buy and hope the company does not contact you
Stay the hell away

?

I want to hear your thoughts. Right now I am doing the last one as I dont want to buy a lawsuit for 8$ (or wipo or udrp, or just plain trouble).

Let me know your thoughts.

i would never buy a .us domain that was or has tm possibilities, unless it was a dictionary word.

stick with .com for those instances, if you have hopes of selling or offering it to a company.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom