Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dot-Org extension is 2nd to dot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Snoppy said "...In fact .org selling prices now seem to be higher than .net"

Yes, I feel dot-org is far more valuable than dot.net, and have been saying this for ages. Not just for charities but many business types. The ext denotes trust, integrity and knowledge sources, rather than a commercialized web-site.

Example - All the .org TV commercials, rarely if ever a commercial for net and others. Speaking of TV - what happened to .TV? LOL.
Are they even still in business? Did anyone ever renew their overpriced dot-tv names?

Lately I have been letting most all of my .net's drop and if buying a name with all 3 extensions avail., only reg'ing the .com and .org, not the .net.

Domain summit 2024

Let me know what good .ORG names you registered so that I get the .NET :D

D

domaingator

Concur with RealNames, DG has sold many .orgs for prices that compete with .coms in some cases. DG sold only a handful of .nets at disappointing prices.

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
1) .Com
2) .Net
3) .Org

Is the order. Your personal experiences & feelings shouldn't sway your opinion. Your being oblivious to the obvious. Net is better then Org. You know it... I know it.... King of this board- TimeChange knows it... and the Internet gods know it.
So lets end all these discussions and topics RealName....

For as long as I can remember people have been trying to alter the way domain values work by repeating their "hope" mantra style.

It happened with .cc, it happened with .ws, it happened with .tv, it happened with .info and it happened with .biz.

Now, for some reason, it seems to be .org's turn.

.org's are a niche market product - so the value cannot be stated in comparison to .com which has mass appeal. An obviously commercial .org can have zero value whereas even the .net can have some value. An obviously non profit .org will have value because thats its niche.

Personally I always thought .net was the better domain than .org, though of late from the auctions/sales I've been watching it seems .orgs are more often than not getting higher prices, and I'm not talking about niche areas which would only suit a .org.

I'm still of the opinion that both .net and .org are both pretty poor and are generally not really worth owning at all (with a few exceptions), but I am starting to come around to the idea that of the two, .org is probably a better choice, and seems to be more widely used especially in advertising.

All .net says to me is that the person didn't get the .com whereas .org still has that “non profit” association which gives it an air of credibility in my opinion.

Both extensions stink, but .org stinks somewhat less :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Regarding why .org is 2nd to .com in value. There is a little known 'secret' involving .org well beyond what has been discussed here.

I am not talking about its value due to the trust and credibility that goes with it but something totally different, and also potentially worth a lot more than anything else. ;)

Sorry, do not want to reveal what this is at this time as too many of us knowing about it could jeopardize its value.

Originally posted by RealNames
Snoppy said "...In fact .org selling prices now seem to be higher than .net"

Yes, I feel dot-org is far more valuable than dot.net, and have been saying this for ages. Not just for charities but many business types. The ext denotes trust, integrity and knowledge sources, rather than a commercialized web-site.

Example - All the .org TV commercials, rarely if ever a commercial for net and others. Speaking of TV - what happened to .TV? LOL.
Are they even still in business? Did anyone ever renew their overpriced dot-tv names?

Lately I have been letting most all of my .net's drop and if buying a name with all 3 extensions avail., only reg'ing the .com and .org, not the .net.

Is there a way to 'discern' or pull up any type of stats which show the # of .org's and the # or .net's that are registered with in a certain time frame?

just curious... i prefer a .net over a .org

however, yes.. realnames..may 'organizations' go with the .org whom are not charity related, but rather 'organizations'..

you could do that with the zone files if you have a start zone and end zone - the new ones are most likely (although not always) new reges in the period between the 2 files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators