Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Frank Schilling increasing New gTLDs Prices 3,000%

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sixteen TLDs from the company’s portfolio of 27 will see price increases of up to 3,000% starting September 8, CEO Frank Schilling confirmed to DI today.

Quote:While domainers have taken to new gTLDs in greater numbers than Schilling anticipated, demand among worldwide consumers has been slower than expected, Schilling said.

http://domainincite.com/21603-schilling-big-price-increases-needed-to-keep-new-gtlds-alive

This shows the financial instability of these new domain extensions even for Frank Schilling.

This really hurts small businesses and early adopters that took to new domains. If some of these domains don’t make financial sense, they should just be shutdown.

HosterStats shows that 78% of .LINK domains are For Sale by North Sound Names, a company Frank Schilling owns.

http://www.hosterstats.com/link-website-usage-survey.php

Since these new domains are making up the rules as they go, I’m not gonna play. Will others?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own maybe a dozen in total of the new tld's and I guess my concern has always been that they can do whatever they want with pricing, at will, and there is nothing that I can do about it.

Buyer beware;)

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It makes sense to me. He says:

"We need more revenue from these strings, especially the low volume ones, without question,” he said. “We can’t push on a string and stoke demand overnight. So in order for that string to survive as a standalone it has to be profitable."

Seems like a good business reason. Unfortunately for the buyers.

Tech Strator

Level 1
Reaction score
Someone has to pay for all the new features at Uniregistry and Internet Traffic.
Just means many drops in those extensions are coming.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They won't be paying for things if no registrations/renewals

...although the traditional tld renewals/transfers etc. will probably still provide much of the revenues needed anyway...as they usually have.;)

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We have stopped registering or transferring Uniregistry domain names into our system. The dramatic price hike Uniregistry announced left us no choice. Until we can assess the impact on our current and potential customers, we have stopped new registrations.

GoDaddy works to deliver a great customer experience. We now have customers who will be paying up to 3,000 percent more for their renewal. That’s an extremely poor customer experience and does not reflect well on the domain name industry in general.

GoDaddy. GM of Domains Mike McLaughlin stated:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators