• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

How much do you use domain tools ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischermx

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
929
Reaction score
5
I meant, domaintools.com the former whois.sc.
I used to use it a lot, but when they changed the interface, even before the name change, they really screwed up things.
I had all my domains name, mine and other's domain which I monitor, there a couple thousands. And now for example, I can't find a domain name which says "already monitored", because I'm trying to add to certain folder I have. But it doesn't say where the domain is !!
That just one. Now, when you rename a folder you get a very dumb error saying the folder you're sitting on does not exist, of course it doesn't exit since it lookit up by name! Seems a kinder garden programmer mistake.
And list goes large...
 
I use it quite a bit. I actually have a short domain of mine set up so I can type ???.com/domaintolookup.com and it will foward to DT
 
I meant, domaintools.com the former whois.sc.
I used to use it a lot, but when they changed the interface, even before the name change, they really screwed up things.
I had all my domains name, mine and other's domain which I monitor, there a couple thousands. And now for example, I can't find a domain name which says "already monitored", because I'm trying to add to certain folder I have. But it doesn't say where the domain is !!
That just one. Now, when you rename a folder you get a very dumb error saying the folder you're sitting on does not exist, of course it doesn't exit since it lookit up by name! Seems a kinder garden programmer mistake.
And list goes large...

I prefer DRT (DomainResearchTool). Very useful desktop software.
 
I stick with real time (Not Cached) whois servers. whois.sc has possibly the best UI but the information is often wrong. I like godaddy's but hate the process. I usually use namespro.ca cuz its acurate and doesnt require any security key crap. When checking .ca specifically I go strait to the source.

idotz rarely resolves for the whois, but is fast for checking if domains are available and accurate as well it shows so many extensions real quick like.

So, to sum it up:

•Whois.sc/domaintools.com has my fav UI but is unreliable.
•godaddy is accurate but requires security key for each attempt.
•namespro.ca is accurate with good whois info in seperate popup window.
•idotz.net is very fast at checking available domains, but doesnt resolve whois often.

There's a gazillion whois sites, in the end the closer you can get to the source the better.
 
For whois queries I like iwhois.com a lot. You can access any domain (in most TLDs) by going to iwhois.com/dnforum.com . They have a very helpful bookmarklet etc.

DomainTools.com has got a whois history, though, which is a very helpful feature.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom