Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

ICANN in Trouble???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024
J

jimb

what do you think will happen if they ever go under? The death of the internet? Will we all have to resort back to the internet numbers?

Jim

ICANN is not a business, so they will not go under.

ICANN will be replaced by a body that can control the Internet name space however - should Congress determine they are not capable of doing so.

Today ICANN is operated through a grant by the Department of Commerce. They can pull that grant and reissue it to anyone else if they fell that ICANN is disfunctional.

The upcoming Congressional hearings will be very interesting. You can expect the current ICANN board to try to free themselves from DoC control and go under the control of some international board before too long.

-t

J

jimb

Originally posted by thewitt

The upcoming Congressional hearings will be very interesting. You can expect the current ICANN board to try to free themselves from DoC control and go under the control of some international board before too long.

If they go out of the country, will Congress then enact a new organization to run the US-based domain name space? I mean, wouldnt that prove to be a big problem for international domain registrars and also businesses selling to american/non-american companies?

Jim

I suspect the US Congress will never allow control of ICANN to go outside the country, since a number of congressmen have gone on record to say that the Internet namespace and ultimately the management of the DNS and IP services is vital to National Security.

The problem of course is that most of these guys don't understand the difference between .com and the Internet, so I suspect they will allow for some internationalization of ICANN while still keeping the gTLD in "America" by allowing Verisign full reign.

-t

Remember that the US DoC is still ultimately responsible for the root server - this is what makes the DNS actually work, regardless of what ICANN decide to do.

ICANN can do what they like, but in reality, its the root server controller that has the real power on the internet and that is good old Verisign in the US so even if ICANN tried to move control of the server outside the US, a court order could prevent Verisign from complying.

J

jimb

Originally posted by thewitt
keeping the gTLD in "America" by allowing Verisign full reign.

I bet Verisign is lobbying to get the that to take place :)

I hope it does, then we would all be paying $70 per domain again :rolleyes:

If this happens, what will happen to OpenSRS? They are Canadian, correct?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators