Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Jews and Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why do Jews omit the word "GOD" on most of their webpages? I just performed a search on av.com for the following phrase, and it returned 47,762 cases:

"jews and g-d"

Domain Summit 2024

hellstrom

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They are not allowed to write the name of their god, because they mustn't make "images" if him. Something like that I think...

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not know for sure... but I'll take an educated guess and folks with more knowledge of Judaica can correct me. :)

The original Hebrew name for God (tetragrammaton) did not have vowels. Also, if you trace back the origin of this practice back through the Talmud to the Pentateuch, you will find that one of the ten commandments says that we should not misuse (take in vain) the Name of of the Lord God.

For these reasons, it is probably a combination of integrity to the original language to omit vowels from the english version for God and may also reflect reverence for the Name as being special... to not speak or spell it in its entirety. If you do not speak or spell it in its entirety, then you will not misuse it -- either intentionally or mistakenly. Here is a reference...
http://pages.cthome.net/hirsch/tetra.htm

As for the including of Christians inthe title of this thread, it always amazes me that the most frequent reference to Jeshua in most current movies and books is as a curse/expletive. I wonder if people using this name in such a manner ever stop to think about why they are doing so and what the significance of that is? Probably not.

Anyway -- Best wishes for a Happy Hanukkah to the Jewish members of DNForum and all who join them in that celebration!

Jeshua, who was Jew, celebrated Hanukkah (John 10:22).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom