Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Need REAL ways to avoid spiders for the domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know that you provide solutions to avoid the spiders crawling the domain names in the forums.

But those solutions do not work.

e.g.

For example, I saw a domain AUinvestorsDOTcom in appraisal section.

The member used the technique you provide to avoid spiders.

But here is the thread which appears in 2nd place in google for the exact domain.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=AUInvestors.com&btnG=Search&meta=

If a potential buyer see the thread, he or she might not want to go for more than $300 for that domain .

So the ways you provide to avoid spiders do not work.

We like to have a REAL way to avoid spiders if we want. You may consider making this feature availabe to all members or just exclusive members.

thanks

Upvote 0

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
unless members come up with a viable alternative to the current means that are in place now.

There's a click of a mouse solution for this. Just click the tick box in the forum permissions that says "block search engines from crawling this category" or something similar.

That's how it is with IPB anyway, I assume VB has something similar.

- Rob

Domain Summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know one possible solution.

When I post in platinum forum, I post like ExampleDOTcom . So far spiders or spiderman or spiderwoman could not index it as example.com .

But my threads got locked and the reason was because it was not proper titile format.

It was a solution. I appreciate if we could post like that. It would not change the rule but ENCHANCE or CORRECT the rules set by the forums.

I'm wondering now why didn't you just offer that as an example of an alternative or as "an addition to" the existing rules in your initial post?

we could have avoided all the side-bar scenerios

but thanks! :)

bro

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering now why didn't you just offer that as an example of an alternative or as "an addition to" the existing rules in your initial post?

we could have avoided all the side-bar scenerios

but thanks! :)

When mouseover a thread link, You can read the content of original post in tooltip box, so if domain name is mentioned in very first line of the post, I don't see any problem why other members can't see the name with just a mouseover?

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
im still really curious what the rule about "you must post 1 name in the title" is actually for. :?:

i know its easy to follow.. but what is the point of it? like i said, its especially silly when someone is listing like 100 domains for sale.. almost becomes a technicality.. you know?

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why I paid for Exclusive membership when it seems I'm still at Platinum level. If someone were to ask me what the benefits were to upgrade to Exclusive, I would shrug my shoulders and give them a blank stare.

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder why I paid for Exclusive membership when it seems I'm still at Platinum level. If someone were to ask me what the benefits were to upgrade to Exclusive, I would shrug my shoulders and give them a blank stare.
Well, you get that nice looking EXCLUSIVE badge ;)

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is my suggestion/solution:

Add a "Convert text/domain name to .gif-image" feature. As long as the gif image does not correspond with the domain name in question, there's no way SE's will pick it up.

You type in the domain name, select it and then click the "Convert to .GIF"-button. Then the text/domain name will be inserted as a .gif-image into the post.

Shouldn't this be possible to implement?

im still really curious what the rule about "you must post 1 name in the title" is actually for. :?:

i know its easy to follow.. but what is the point of it? like i said, its especially silly when someone is listing like 100 domains for sale.. almost becomes a technicality.. you know?

Well, I always hate to read "Amazing 1-word .COM for sale" and then click the link only to find out that the domain name is HyperPhluxCoordinationingable.com. :rolleyes:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I always hate to read "Amazing 1-word .COM for sale" and then click the link only to find out that the domain name is HyperPhluxCoordinationingable.com. :rolleyes:

well, that would be an outright lie.

tattoos

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As an interested observer, and not wishing to get into any for or against debates about this (as I don't intend to sell any names in the foreseeable future).

I know that Google do not index the @ sign (possibly to stop people from harvesting email addresses)
It also "seems" (I could be wrong) that they place anything with the @ sign lower in the SERP's.
I tried a few site: searches on twitter (which as you know use the @ sign a lot) and noticed that anything with @keyword did not show up in any prominent position. (maybe buried deep in the results somewhere IDK)

I am not 100% sure this would stop sites showing on the first couple of pages, but it may be worth testing on a few domains.

Also, having an underscore in between each or some of the letters could solve the problem, but may add quite a lot of extra length to the title when it comes to long domains. (underscores don't seem to get treated as separators like - does)

Anyway, just sharing some thoughts and observations.

Cheers
James

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So that people who dont bother visiting the forum can see the domains for sale via offsite forum readers and services. I have access to one but rarely use it, only 'advantage' of having domain in the thread - and its not our advantage, its for the advantage of the forum, since some people support these services.

If you do insist on the domain in title, at least allow exclusive and platinum members to edit the title of the thread once the sale is over. How does this 'harm' the forum?

These threads are a waste of time. Probably an hour from being closed as 'untenable'. Just like all the others have been, seems no one who really matters is bothered by the rule, only idiots who sell thousands of domains per year and what do we know.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was made clear that this forum wants to get its threads to be indexed. It is the bottom line.

We did not say not to put the domain name in the title but to avoid the spiders.

I have suggested thousand times that DnforumDOTcom format in the title will serve both its orginal rule as well as avoiding the spiders.

I also stated that the rules needed to be changed so that members would not be misled.

10. ALL DOMAIN SALES MUST list the actual domain name IN THE POST, and at least one of the domain names being sold in the title of the post, you must post the ACTUAL DOMAIN NAME. No spacing of letters or domains is permitted in titles and/or posts for all Platinum Sales sections as well as the Domain Appraisal section. There's a solution for those avoiding spiders, you may use example(.)com or example(dot)com. In addition, most forums have a sticky thread or an announcement thread (or perhaps both) with more rules specific to that subforum. Please check for specific sticky threads and specific announcements that pertain to the subforum before posting in the forums. This rule is echoed in many sticky threads across our forum. Checking for a sticky before posting is netiquette you should be aware of, in any forum. Further reading here.

Above is rule 10 and I have highlighted the misleading part. The forum needs to change it as there is no way around to avoid spiders.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

here's my personal, "non-moderator opinion"

publicity and exposure is good for your domain!

some of you members who complain about spiders and all that need to quit it.

in reality, most of the domains you're trying to hide ain't worth all that

and in fact, they probably need all the exposure they can get!

i've seen some of the sorriest names being posted for both appraisal and for sale and the OP tries to camouflage the name in the title.

do you really think the past owners of prominent domain sales cared whether or not their name got indexed, botted or spidered?

hell no, because in the end, they are only going to sell if the price is right.

and that's the confidence you gotta have or learn to get/show when trying to sell or responding to offers.

don't keep blaming the forum and title qualifications for your failure to get the most for your domains.

imnmo..

ditto, especially regarding the desire to hide from the SE's so many worhless or semi-wothless domains (which need max exposure).

p.s. I did not see the evidence the name was indexed in G based on the dnf thread in the original post. I still question if the SE really know what example(.)tld or example(dot)tld is? BTW, exampleDOTtld seems like a real good way to make it tougher to get indexed, but the question is why bother to do so when 90% or more of the names are of no or little value anyway and indexing may help them sell? An issue with ExampleDOT format is confusion with the Gov Dept of Transportation (DOT common abbreviation) where there are a number of domains with that meaning such as StateDOT.org for example?

Last edited:

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ditto, especially regarding the desire to hide from the SE's so many worhless or semi-wothless domains (which need max exposure).

Did you see any big domains sold posted in the platinum forum? e.g. Adam sold Forums.com for xxx,xxx. Did he post the name here in the platinum forum.

I could not find it when I searched in google?

Why don't the big domain owners not posting there names in platinum forums?

No. I found it but not in sale forum.

I saw Adams put Forums.com in the appraisal and I understand he bought it in 2005 and put it in appraisal section the following day.

http://www.dnforum.com/f4/forums-com-4-thread-85261.html

If I were the buyer, I would not go for the sale price recently as I can see most of the appraisals pointed out xx,xxx range.

It was a great sale.

Last edited:

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
but the question is why bother to do so when 90% or more of the names are of no or little value anyway and indexing may help them sell?

90% of the names listed here are of little/no value because most experienced sellers won't list high value domains on here, for fear of that thread being used against them in UDRP/future sale negotiations.

Honestly, this obviously causes problems for your members, some of whom have paid $300 plus for membership. Why not take the lead with this and sort it out, Adam?

- Rob

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I'm not too concerned about spiders indexing sales threads.
First of all, forum sales are domainer to domainer. You know what to expect. Higher liquidity, lower prices.

The bottom line is that you should sell at a price that makes you happy.
More than once I dealt with anonymous end users and their identity was made clear only after the transaction was complete.
I then knew I could have asked for more... but I still made a nice profit and moved on. That's business.

A domain marketplace like DNF is made of resellers and we all know selling to resellers is not the best way to achieve a maximum return for top notch domains. To put it bluntly, you're taking a chance when you are exposing your domains here.
I don't post or sell my best/strategic domains here, I don't even park them or put them up for sale. I'm still willing to discuss a possible sale, should a serious, direct inquiry come along. On the other hand the forums are great for mid-value domain sales.

The big sales happen behind closed doors and most of the time you'll never hear about them.
Not everybody will agree and I get your point, but if you regret selling at that price back then - there is a lesson to be learned IMO.

Last edited:

hina

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
publicity and exposure is good for your domain!

Some members want their sales thread to be unsearchable when people search for theirdomain.com. This means the searcher already knows about the domain name in question. So what kind of publicity/exposure do you mean?

Also, I wonder why DomainDOTcom could not be allowed to replace Domain(.)com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom