• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

.org is dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
6,459
Reaction score
3
Strange stats from today from: http://www.domaintools.com/internet-statistics/

.org New Regs: 26,454
.org Expired: 138,932

I dont know how long this trend has been occuring...but losing 100,000 active names out of 4.7 million in one day can't be good...
 
Tasters have moved into .org
 
.org will alwyas be popular, although nowhere near as popular as .net, or .com.
 
Is .net that popular? I tend to not register a .net if I see the .com is an established site. Am I making the wrong decision about .net?
 
jdk said:
Is .net that popular? I tend to not register a .net if I see the .com is an established site. Am I making the wrong decision about .net?

Well...

supercars.net is an established site with OVT around 2200

supercars.com has OVT w/ ext of around 300

So around 15-20% are typing the name in wrong...lots of free traffic for the .com owner.
 
I don't think there is a right or wrong decision. .NET serves as brand protection as well as minor traffic stability for brand names. (as does .name, .tv, .ws, etc. etc.) However, .net names usually collect some sort of traffic from their .com counterparts.
 
I dont usually buy a .net unless it is a casino related name and i buy the dotcom at the same time since a lot of casino sites are using the dotnet now. That way i could just sell them both together. I would also buy a dotnet or a dotorg if it were something very generic like voip.net or voip.org. The only other reason to buy a dotnet or dotorg is to protect a special dotcom that you own.
 
I have wieghed this many times. I think .org is a great fit for some domains and I have tested my theory multiple times. If the domain is related the government, education, charity, non-profit and many others the .org does better than the .com. People have been trained to go to the .org for these domains so they type them in first, even before the .com. I reg'd a few names and the .org's did better than the .com. I wouldn't worry about .org. The drops are most likely people grabbing .org because the .com is taken and that might be the mistake. In the future all of these domains and cctld's will fall into place. Cheers....
 
NameMogul.com said:
Tasters have moved into .org
Bingo.. Probably traffic samplers.. Today there was a net gain of 12,000 .ORGs
 
.org is great. Always will be. If you think .org is dying, please sell me all your one word .org names.
 
Kid Kool said:
.org is great. Always will be. If you think .org is dying, please sell me all your one word .org names.
Same here. The few orgs that I have bought and sold have had great traffic. Many type-ins.
 
I was only going by the stats...but that huge decrease seems to have been a one day thing...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom