• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Reinstall XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

labrocca

Omniscient
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
1,453
Reaction score
3
How often do you have problems with XP or windows in general? Since I have usually 3-5 computers in my house it seems like I am always having a reinstall every couple months. Last night my main desktop starting going nuts and so I tried a few things...eventually I tried a defrag cuz 50% of drive was fragmented. I know from past experience a defrag can screw a HD...well of course it did once again. I couldn't get the XP to boot. Eventually after 5 hours attempting to fix old XP I got a HD I had laying around and installed a fresh XP. I attached old drive as secondary so I have not lost anything but having to reinstall it all stinks. I think I just did this on this puter about 5 months ago.


This time I am going to do a dual boot system with FREEBSD and try to run KDE for my desktop as much as possible. Let's see how it goes.
 
Same here, Windows is very buggy but I don't wanna switch to linux.
 
Well I prefer BSD. Also I think a dual boot is worth a try since I really want to move away from windows. The only reason I don't do a total change is because I play online games that are windows only.
 
I get the occasional "Your hard drive (index) is dirty" message from time to time, but that usually results in a 15-25 minute scanning process before being able to boot the machine.
 
Actually why pay for mac when it basically runs freebsd as well. I am very familiar with bsd and decent with KDE. My preferred browser is Opera. I use basic text editors for my html and I don't mind learning GIMP. Like I said the only reason I can see keeping my windows is for gaming.
 
I set my computer up with Windows XP and XandrOS linux. I plan on replacing XandrOS with a distro which gives more control. I have a wifi card which has a chipset which no distro is able to support therefore its time to shop for a new one and within a month my PC will boot linux only (I have laptop for windoze :-()

For any of you linux addicts - Yes I have tried ndiswrapper and got a seperate PCMIA wifi card working on my laptop.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom