Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld Selling .ca Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsiSlurpee

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a couple questions, I hope someone can answer.

1.) If you buy a .ca, and then a while later someone offers to buy it, is there a minimum wait time? I mean, do you have to wait a certain amount of days or months from the date of registering the domain to selling it/transferring it to someone else?

2.) If there isn't a minimum wait time, how do you just transfer them since I've found .ca's don't have locks? Do you just let someone else initiate a transfer and don't reject it?

Thanks for any help.

Domain Summit 2024

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. 30 days from registration is the wait time.
2. The buyer initiates a registrar/registrant transfer then you login to the Cira.ca and accept the transfer. Sometimes they will need to do both a registrar and registrant transfer if they want to move the domain to a new registrar

Hope that helps

Jay

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CIRA is your domain lock. When you sell your .ca domain CIRA will be involved. If the buyer transfers the domain to their own registrar, CIRA will send an email w/password to your admin email contact for the domain. With that you have to log in and approve the transfer. Don't forget that the buyer will also have to change the registrant details on the domain - you will get an email for that request, and you will have to approve it.

If the buyer wants to keep it at the same registrar to avoid paying transfer costs, you will still have to approve the registrant transfer. Some registrars charge for this, others do not - like Namespro.ca

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hey roy,

which registrars don't charge for a registrant transfer? I've had registrant merges that don't cost anything but I've always been charged for a registrant transfer.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hey roy,

which registrars don't charge for a registrant transfer? I've had registrant merges that don't cost anything but I've always been charged for a registrant transfer.

Once the domain is in your account you can merge the registrant details with one of your own for free at namespro.ca. That's what I think i meant to write!

I still haven't gone to bed... :lol:

And in five minutes i will be the new owner of a domain exemplifying why you should not bid on domains whilst sleepy!

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lmao... I've been there :D

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I looked at that one 4 times as well just to make sure...my heart beat a little faster when I first saw it..

vancouverealestate.ca - LOL don't bid while sleepy!

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The thing with a registRAR transfer is, that after this is done, the name still belongs to the seller. Which is kind of why most registrars are set up to have the owner of the name make this kind of request.

It's just much simpler if everyone just does the registRANT transfer at the existing registrar, and then move it to wherever they want after the 30 day wait...

Namespro is about the only place that I've seen that allows the buyer to make the transfer request regardless of whether the name belongs to him or not, somewhat combining the two steps, if necessary. But you still need to confirm with cira twice.

As Roy mentioned, mergers are free, but only practical if the seller's account has only that one domain that you bought, as a merger moves all of the domains of one cira account into another and then nukes the old one...

vancouverealestate.ca - LOL don't bid while sleepy!

almost did the same thing, but only realized it was a typo when I entered it in properly and one of the tbr systems told me it wasn't expired...

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great thread - and I love that sleepy domaining warning. Trust me - friends don't let friends drink and domain either.

That being said, I sold abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.com for about $700 or thereabouts back in the late 90s ;)

So, back on topic, does this make NamePros a slightly more appealing registrar for moving .ca domains ?

Rob

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend namespro.ca - if you have a large portfolio ask for special pricing. I've used their customer service at all hours, just about every day of the week and they always seem to answer in under an hour.

As for my wonderful domain - I'm just glad nobody else bid because my proxy bid could have cost me! LOL

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have all my domains at namespro or at least am moving them all there. Is there still a 30 day wait after transfering a domain? I thought the 30 day wait was only on fresh regs?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another thing to remember as well is that registrar transfer AND registrant transfers each adds another year of registration:):)

Also...if you are doing the process with someone who knows what they are doing they can be done very quickly...I have done both in less than an hour...no 7 day stuff with .ca. And these are secure transactions.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree i've had to walk 2 people through the process that had never done it before and both only took a couple hours...

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I checked with namespro and the 30 day hold is only on new registrations and goes on 30 days from the date approved section of the whois. Just in case anyone is unsure as I was.

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good to know, because then there really shouldn't be any reason why a buyer can't do the registRANT transfer first, and then be left to do the registRAR transfer afterwards...

Too many end users are accustomed to the way that .com things are done... I once sold to an end user who insisted on having the name transfered to his webhost (who was not an authorized cira registrar but a reseller), and it was a complete pain. He kept thinking I was up to something when I told him it would be just easier to do a registrant transfer at the existing host.

There are still ALOT of people out there that think webhosting and domain registration are tied together....

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sold a name on Sept 20th and its still in my registrant. I didn't hear anything from him for 3 months then he asked how he can start publishing to it. I gave him a breakdown and needless to say he finished the registrar transfer but still hasn't initiated the registrant transfer.

I decided to send him another emial and see if I can help, I forgot about him lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom