Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The Secret Identity of Super Mann - The BuyDomains.com Story Now at DNJournal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainRetriever
Ron. Great job man!

As I've said in the previous thread, and to all those WLS
lovers out there. Here it is, from the Mann himself.

"Ironically Mann, who has been a staunch anti-WLS leader, admits that implementation of WLS would actually benefit his company by lowering BD’s domain acquisition costs. Mann explains “that doesn’t mean the whole thing is not a scheme by the rich, powerful, politically connected, Verisign Wall Streeters – because it is”. In his eyes it is simply wrong whether it benefits BD or not. "

Now do you think WLS will help the little guys?

Thanks for the awesome interview Ron, it was well worth the
wait!

Luc L.

What Mann does not admit is that, while lowering his cost, it will lower his acquisition rate in a big way. In fact, that would help his current spending binge. Buy whatever he wants now, because the buying will be tougher after WLS.

He can currently get almost any expiring name he wants, as I bet that his success rate is at least 70% (including use of his own registrars plus the various services). He will not be able to put a WLS on every name. So, he will find that on many names, the WLS is taken by others before he is willing to pay for the WLS. If he thought WLS would lower his cost AND be good for BD, then he would be in favor of it.

OH, and I most certainly believe WLS will be good for the little guy and for myself.

Duke: Great article!!

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by actnow
"The wise ones will pick them out and move on to create other new initiatives." OnSpec

“The new domain registrars that are just now starting up to chase this market should probably think of a new line of work." BD

I guess my new initiative should be to find a new line of work?

Is that light at the end of the tunnel, a train or the light from Michael Mann's office?

Unfortunately, I am not smart enough to get out the way!

RRP should not be the reason to become accredited.

especially at this poiint and time.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting Article.

Your site is always fun to read around.

I didnt realize you did an article about ele

That was very interesting.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke,

Great job as always.
Here is my 2 cents about this article.
As I stated same ideas in Elequa's article: You need big big capital to start whether from your family or from other businesses like selling ISPs to Verio.

Sorry Mann but nothing special in your situation as Elequa,

Gasoline (privately hired direct registrar connections) powered inferno (drops)!

Duke, you need to find me a Big Guys who once a poor Stanford or Cal graduate to make me appluse :)

Keep up the good work.
SAF

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirAlexFerguson
Duke, you need to find me a Big Guy who once a poor Stanford or Cal graduate to make me applaud :)

Keep up the good work.
SAF

I'm working on it SAF and if I ever become a Big Guy you will have your story! Actually even better, as I am a midwestern state college product (must worse than Stanford or Cal) :)

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Observers say it's "absurd" or "insane" for resellers to pay these prices and surprisingly Mann does not disagree. “We actually think there is no longer any profit to be found buying new domains. We are hoping our aggressive tact will encourage more people to drop out of the market, allowing us and our customers a margin again from new acquisitions.” Before you dismiss this as sheer lunacy, keep in mind that Microsoft took the entire browser market away from Netscape by giving their product away."

I suspected that has been there strategy for a while now with their outrageous bids at Namewinner and the other auctions. Although I think this strategy will backfire on them.

But I do agree with much of the rest of his statements including what he said about WLS. Just think how much money BD will save on the exclusive registrar leases and domain auctions. They may not get all of the good WLS spots, like a lot of people are saying here, but with Mann's dedication I really doubt that they will miss a beat in the game.

Only 10 employees. Now that is productivity. I thought they had many, many more employees.

Anyway, thanks for another great article Duke!

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great read as always.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Momentum
Only 10 employees. Now that is productivity. I thought they had many, many more employees.

Yes, but Mann makes them all work 16 hours a day - so it's like having 20 employees! :- )

Just kidding about that - I think. Michael did say he believes in incentive based pay so his employees likely work long hours as he does to realize the highest income. Also several of those 10 spend a lot of time on his other projects like BrowserMedia.com so he is actually running BD with an even smaller group most of the time. It is pretty amazing.

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by actnow
"The wise ones will pick them out and move on to create other new initiatives." OnSpec

“The new domain registrars that are just now starting up to chase this market should probably think of a new line of work." BD

I guess my new initiative should be to find a new line of work?

Is that light at the end of the tunnel, a train or the light from Michael Mann's office?

Unfortunately, I am not smart enough to get out the way!

No discouraging words Act. Keep on truckin' if you can make an honest buck or two

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators