• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Things to come .... Predictions welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsturbed

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
559
Reaction score
0
Ok, so with the recent settlement that Google paid in respect to PPC systems.

What will come of PPC and similar systems... it's rumored that MSN is just recently getting into the PPC arena... why would Microsoft get involved if PPC were really going to be disolved. That is the assumption right ?

Will Google's recent fray have a huge effect on YPN, MSN and others ?

Is the PPC marketplace going to change dramatically, if so, when ? or will something new replace it and if so, what ? (predictions welcome)

I think we all need a grouphug :grouphug:

:peace:
 
PPC won't get dissolved but I believe that it will go through some major changes. As a PPC advertiser, I used to spend up to $25k/month on Google Adwords on PC memory related products (memory cards, flash drives, hard drives, etc). When I enabled Network ads the cost was $75k/month and there wasn't a significant increase in sales.

Needless to say, after that I've never used network ads on any of my campaigns and I don't plan on ever using them

Was it all clickfraud? Probably not, but from my experience most of the network ads convert like crap and there are a lot of greedy primo domain owners looking for ways to squeeze every last buck from advertisers. For this reason, I think there may be some change on the horizon, but it may be a year or so before we see anything.

Side note. There are now services based in India that offer to constantly CLICK on your comeptitor's ads from US based IPs. I can't confirm this, but I've heard that companies that heavily rely on PPC for their traffic (buy.com, amazon.com, ebay.com) are users of these services.
 
Luc said:
For this reason, I think there may be some change on the horizon, but it may be a year or so before we see anything.

agree.
 
Luc said:
Side note. There are now services based in India that offer to constantly CLICK on your comeptitor's ads from US based IPs. I can't confirm this, but I've heard that companies that heavily rely on PPC for their traffic (buy.com, amazon.com, ebay.com) are users of these services.
I know you had a disclaimer in there, but if I am reading your post right, that is a pretty serious allegation.
 
I know you had a disclaimer in there, but if I am reading your post right, that is a pretty serious allegation.

Yes it is.

The PPC model isn't going to go in the tubes, as some may expect. But, you will see EXTREME changes in targeting and ad sorting. I would also expect to see examples being made out of click fraudsters, who pump up their own domains, or expunge their competitor's budget's. Knowing how much info google stores on a regular basis, I expect they already have stockpiles of assumed click frauds, and are just waiting to set it free.

Just my 2 cents.
 
You will also see pay-per-call coming. Technology will allow a user to click on the ad and place a phone call directly to the advertiser over the internet. These would be like phone leads, and trials are already taking place. Advertisers seem to love this because a phone call converts more easily into a sale. They are also willing to pay much more for a phone lead vs. a click through, so all in all it would be a good thing, and harder to do fraud with.

I think PPC will stay around in one form or other. Studies show more people are spending more time online, and less on tv and other media forms. Movies, games, books, newspapers, magazines, etc are moving to the internet and digital form more and more every day. So the advertisers have to go where the eyeballs are. Internet advertising is still a fraction of total worldwide advertising, but growing fast. So more money is moving to advertising on the internet, which increases advertiser competition for keyword bids. I don't know how the ppc technology will change, but it will probably move in whatever direction that gets advertisers more targetted traffic while eliminating fraud.

On a final note, ppc is also trying to reach more local small and medium businesses, who really aren't using ppc to attract customers yet. They want to be able to advertise to people in their local area, so again this would be a case of more targetted traffic.

A lot of these ideas I've read in Business 2.0 magazine, which has a lot of great articles on companies involved in the internet.
 
I just checked my long term stats in Adwords - a lead from "content network" cost me less than from Google search...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom