• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Try this - type word in search bar without extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
150
Just tried to type some terms into my search bar
without domain extension to see what happens.

I use IE and I also have a google toolbar.
When I type a word into the IE bar without
a domain extension, a new window opens at google
with the search returns for that word.

weird that using microsoft explorer I get google
results, the google toolbar must make IE default
to google?

a couple terms I tried opened a new window but
went directly to a website.

"konacoffee" went to konacoffee.com

"blog" went to blogger.com (owned by google?)

I wonder if you can "buy" words that when typed
in would go directly to your website, if the person doesn't
use an extension?
 
when I type straight into the bar it goes straight to msn search.
 
blog goes to blogger, also try typing in a in firefox, Apple :(
 
I know this long time. When i typed f, it goes to f-secure.com huk --;
 
That's very old. During the whole dot com there was a company ( I believe it was a company MS owned) that featured the ability to purchase KEYWORDS like that so when people would type in "Google" or "MSN" or "Blog" or "Search" or "Cars" ...etc it would go to a particular site...

Im sure that company is long gone however, it never really caught on, like most businesses during that time ;)
 
im pretty sure if you type in a keyword in the bar in FF, and its not a domain, it will take you to the #1 google result for the term.

blogger.com is #1 for "blog" so its probably something your looking for anyways, so there you go.
 
I wonder how many people per day type a word in their browser without extension and hit "enter". If it's a lot, then there is some advantage in a company putting out their own browser product, like FireFox. They can forward that traffic anywhere they want, make partnerships, etc.
 
fullreign said:
That's very old. During the whole dot com there was a company ( I believe it was a company MS owned) that featured the ability to purchase KEYWORDS like that so when people would type in "Google" or "MSN" or "Blog" or "Search" or "Cars" ...etc it would go to a particular site...

Im sure that company is long gone however, it never really caught on, like most businesses during that time ;)

Yes, you are correct. Microsoft owned a company called realnames, I think.
I worked for a company called Verio and we sold "address bar keywords" to companies.
The contract was only good for a certain amount of "searches" like 1,000,000 or 2,000,000.
It only worked if someone typed in a keyword in the address bar like it was a google search without the www and (dot) com.
I think it only worked for Internet Explorer. Which is what everyone used in '98.
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
how can someone work for an internet company in '98 and only get into domains at the end of '05 ? :veryangry
 
if you disable the google/msn/yahoo toolbars putting in whatever keywords you want won't do anytihng except take you to http://keyword/ without the TLD. having the toolbars on will redirect you to the first result of the particular engine.
 
I type in the domain without the ext, and hit Crtl+enter, and it adds the www. and .com. I think there are other browsers that if you type in the KW without the ext, it automaticly takes you to the .com, which makes them more powerful them any other ext.
 
Luc said:
if you disable the google/msn/yahoo toolbars putting in whatever keywords you want won't do anytihng except take you to http://keyword/ without the TLD. having the toolbars on will redirect you to the first result of the particular engine.

You are 100% correct.
 
Mr. Deleted said:
I type in the domain without the ext, and hit Crtl+enter, and it adds the www. and .com. I think there are other browsers that if you type in the KW without the ext, it automaticly takes you to the .com, which makes them more powerful them any other ext.


exactly .. this is how i bring up sites as well, i just type in dnforum and hit crtl+enter
 
In Opera if I type in blog I would go to blog.com (adding the tld automagically). If blog.com didn't resolve then it would try blog.net, and after that I would assume blog.org (never had it get that far).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom