• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

What's with all these proxy site sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Messages
4,063
Reaction score
23
I bought one because it was a cool sounding name and almost bought another.
They are all recently registered names with huge traffic. Any insights on what's going on?
 
i think people are getting rid of them cause they use huge amounts of bandwidth
 
Proxies a are a huge avenue for anonymity and click fraud.

They will always be popular.

I used to have to use a proxy server from one office I was at as it wouldn't let me out of the office servers going directly.

-=DCG=-
 
I might be able to shed some light on this.

Web-based proxy servers get huge amounts of traffic in a short time as its something users want, but many people are unaware of whats needed to run it, they start out on a shared hosting enveiroment and when the proxy gets a fair amount of traffic it will overload the server and normally, the host will kick them off, they use anywere from 20GB-2TB bandwith a month depending on how its managed.

When I first joined the domain industry over a year ago I was one of the only ones in the industry who ran a proxy site, The traffic quickly grew and I got an okay price for it and they started popping up everywere.

It is mainly people who think they can make a quick buck who start them, they get kicked off and look for a sale. Unless you can afford to pay for a dedicated server (or more than one) I wouldnt plan on getting a proxy site.

Potential buyers do not understand that running a proxy site isnt as easy as uploading and going.

I run (i will remove if its classed as advertising) ukproxy.com and several other proxy related sites, ukproxy.com alone takes a P4 2.8Ghz/1GB Ram server with no fancy stuff such as cPanel to run smoothly, I have fortunately limited downloads to 2MB each via the proxy to save bandwith and I expect to use 200-300 GB this month. The site is earning me enough to pay for the server and a little profit, This has took me over a year to get right with owning several proxy sites, I can happily say, I'm not really in a position to need to sell this site.

My advice to you all is unless its earning over $150 a month, your either going to be losing or cutting even and I would avoid it, If you park the site, the traffic seems to last about a month then die out.

If you need any help with your proxy just send me a PM.


On a side note: The main use of these proxies is:

Porn
Downloading Warez (I cut down on it)
Anonymous surfing
Bypassing IP Bans
Social Networking Sites (eg, Orkut, Myspace, Hi5 and others)
Gaming Sites
Webmessengers
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom