Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why were so many names skipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I could not stay for the end of the auction, why were so many name skipped?

Please fill me in on what happened

Upvote 0

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think that's true, 'Big F*rt ... though I wasn't there to witness it. I've heard that in placing a 'Starting bid(s) AT $1.00 improves the chances of potential buyers' interest/bidding, and eventually sales! These skipped names are just evidence of this ... these being, for the most part, NON $1.00 openers. Something to consider when listing your domain name(s) for the auction(s), I'd suppose.
PS. $10,000?? :eek:
Take care.

Domain Summit 2024

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
skipped = no bid

it's acutally opened for auction, but nobody bid. the "skipped" word is confusing, i guess.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I watched the auction from 8:30 onwards, it was a real rush :D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I left after the $1 opening bid names were done. The majority of those with higher opening bids started at prices that were obviously higher than the names were worth. That is why they got no bids and why some bidders don't stick around for the second half. Almost all of the names in the first half sold - many of them at very good prices.

I'm afraid the people who do have reasonably priced opening bids above $1 get lost in the second half among those with ludicrously high bids. Right now the $1 openers are auctioned first. I would like to see the entire auction sorted based on opening bid price. Highest bid is the last one auctioned. That might add a little incentive to keep the starting bids reasonable otherwise you name will go up when a lot of people have left.

I think you get the most action and best final price by opening at $1. My two names, both starting at $1, sold for $70 and $8 respectively. Based on the names, both prices were fine with me. With the number of experienced dealers in the room, the names will go for what they are worth (in some cases I thought they went higher than they were worth - and in almost all cases the prices were much better than you could get on Ebay.). This is the place to sell domains that you want to move quickly.

owndomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, I do not think so.

I had two names sold through the auction:

AEZ.net, opening bid: $69, sold at $130 (transferred already done)

ExpireNow.com, opening bid: $100, sold at $110 (I am still awaiting response of the buyer, dataware)

So it looks good to me.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by owndomain
No, I do not think so.

I had two names sold through the auction:

AEZ.net, opening bid: $69, sold at $130 (transferred already done)

ExpireNow.com, opening bid: $100, sold at $110 (I am still awaiting response of the buyer, dataware)

So it looks good to me.

But look at the final sales results list owndomain. You were one of the very few who opened that high and still made sales. There are exceptions to every rule and you were one of the very few exceptions (also helped that you kept your openers reasonable for the names of course).

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
(...)I would like to see the entire auction sorted based on opening bid price. Highest bid is the last one auctioned. That might add a little incentive to keep the starting bids reasonable otherwise you name will go up when a lot of people have left. (...)

At first glance, I liked that idea, as it discourages people from setting too-high prices and encourages buyers to stick around longer after the $1 auctions. But then I was thinking, what if you have a great name that has a high value? You might not want to auction it here if it was going to be pushed back near the end of the auction (at a time when fewer bidders are around).

These auctions have been great so far. I'd love to see more good names, though. (So far, most have come from Greg's seemingly endless supply of 3-letter .coms!) Let's not do anything to discourage sellers from offering high-value names here.

(Just one amateur's opinion.)

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by randomo

At first glance, I liked that idea, as it discourages people from setting too-high prices and encourages buyers to stick around longer after the $1 auctions. But then I was thinking, what if you have a great name that has a high value? You might not want to auction it here if it was going to be pushed back near the end of the auction (at a time when fewer bidders are around).

If the name is really good and reasonable starting price, I think serious buyers will stick around.

markcw

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If bidders could make an opening bid on names by say Friday, then the domain names that have an opening bid could be auctioned off first.

That way $1 or higher starting bid names will be auctioned off first. If no opening bid, why even let the $1 names clog up the auction.

just my 2 cents worth.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by markcw
If bidders could make an opening bid on names by say Friday, then the domain names that have an opening bid could be auctioned off first.

That way $1 or higher starting bid names will be auctioned off first. If no opening bid, why even let the $1 names clog up the auction.

just my 2 cents worth.

The $1 names do not clog up the auction - virtually all of them sell. On Saturday night 116 of the 121 names with a $1 opening bid sold! That is a spectacular success rate. There are people who only sign on for the auction Sat. Night. I think complicating things by placing bids at times outside the auction could only be detrimental.

Christopher Marks

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Once it got down the the domains that started at $1, the timer was lowered to 15 seconds, and more towards the end of the auction it was lowered even more.

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's all a question of wholesale value-point. I did an assessment two weeks ago (in one of the cool tool threads) and found that when a opening bid on a domain exceeded the wholesale value, 95% of the time it was skipped.

From the looks of it, the masses are having trouble finding that 'wholesale value'. Feel free to utilize the tool for this or roll the dice with a opener of $1. The true litus test for the value of a domain.

I love it when the rubber hits the road.

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by markcw
The mean (not average) price of those $1 names is not too good!

On the other hand, the guy with the $500 opening bid name knows he has at least one bidder ready to go. Better than waiting all night?

Which bidder is that? His/her shill bidder? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom