Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

$1,080 got Charge back by Paypal after domain name transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan0124

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On July 3rd, I sold 2 domain names 25F.com and 9EG.com on DigitalPoint Forum to a very reputed member: worldman, he contacted me several times and then agreed the deal at $650 for 25F.com and $430 for 9EG.com, he sends me money via paypal and I moved domain names to "his" godaddy account:

Customer #: 21825575
E-mail: [email protected]

then, the next day, I received a 2 charge backs from paypal, they told me that person's paypal account got hacked so they will need to return the money to the buyer, and they told me since domain names are intangible goods, it is not covered by paypal seller protection policy, though I tried my best to provide whois, forum msg screen host info, the money will most likely be returned to the buyer.

I contacted the worldman on DP, and was told that his account got hacked, so it was not him. I really feel helpless rightnow as a domain seller, I am not quite sure what should I do now in this case. I would appreciate any suggestions from you guys. and also be aware the scammer who is using [email protected]!!!

Domain Summit 2024

lotk.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i agree... just contact godaddy and show them proof of everything and they will set everything straight.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are good buyers on dp, but a lot of bad ones on there, if its a xxx amount, escrow should be the way to go, there have been a lot of incidence's in accounts being hacked on DP, and not anywhere else, your domains are gone, there isn't much you can do, unless you contact the registrar and see what they can do, which isn't much, good luck man, sorry to hear that.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

adityas

SEO King
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You say I pushed the domains to 'his' account. Are you refering to the 'scammer' here?

Concentrate on getting the domains back. The money is gone! These credit card companies won't listen to nothing you or paypal have to say, unless you have had the buyer categorically click on 'I agree with the terms and conditions' box etc. Where your terms include a no refund policy etc.

So my best bet would be to get the domains back somehow. Furnish proof, screenshots are a good way to do it!

All the best mate.

Aditya

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get your domains back. Godaddy definitely has the 60 days lock up period which they can help you out. Just give them a call.

SigRent.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dont buy or sell at DP unless its through escrow, so me scammers on there its not funny. Has happened to me numourus times now i dont buy there, they dont do anything about it either.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Almost everyone here knows that Paypal doesn't protect against virtual items but you guys continue to use them anyway... Good feedback or not, I think anything transaction over $300 should be processed through Escrow.

bgmv

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your money and domains are gone, unless you get an attorney.

Same thing happened to me.

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also don't sell domains from godaddy - put them somewhere that acutally will help with stolen domains.

HuntingMoon

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we have had success recovering 2 LLLL's that we sold here. the fraudulent payment from a wells fargo account that was hacked. if you make enough of a stink with godaddy, you will get your names back. they will lock them up right away too.

it is interesting because again we see the few days it takes to hear about fraud. in our situation it was 36 hrs later. in your case it was only a couple of days as well.

we are holding names after payment for up to a week for unknown buyers now.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
we are holding names after payment for up to a week for unknown buyers now.

Good idea for hacked accounts, but it's doesn't do much for chargeback's that can occur up to 60 days after the transaction.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You can still use Sedo as Escrow (for names that are NOT listed at Sedo) for transactions outside of Sedo; they charge 3%

HuntingMoon

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good idea for hacked accounts, but it's doesn't do much for chargeback's that can occur up to 60 days after the transaction.

true, we also require a faxed contract that includes enough info for us to contest a chargeback. the problem for us is that board members do not want the hassle, so we have removed this usual provision for members with reputation here. we will not transfer a name that was over $500 until the agreement is received for our site customers/end users.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had about 150-200 names stolen from me at one time, 50% of them being from godaddy. I got them all back without a lawyer. Contact godaddy, you will need to make some phone calls. Keep at them, and show your proof... They will help you.

DNP

Trust & Reliability
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My rule of thumb: If I sell any names to someone who is willing to pay by PayPal - I always push only after money successfully withdrawn to my bank account. Usually takes 2-3 business days.

widedesigns

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We all say use escrow whenever possible.But sometimes we get this good offer from people who pay via paypal only.And since we need money , we are tempted to proceed as the buyer is not keen on escrow.So during this catch-22 situation ,these are the steps to follow so that you are not affected even if charge back is done

1) Always keep an alternate paypal id ready. You can verify this paypal , using Virtual Credit Card(VCC) numbers . Your bank may be providing VCC generation , if not tons of services providing that.It takes few seconds to generate a vcc and most banks provides free vcc generation

2) Accept the payment in the alternate paypal id.

3)Transfer the money immedietly to the main paypal id

4)Start Transfer of the money to your bank from main paypal id (not always necessary , just start transfer, no need for that to complete)

5) Then go to Alternate paypal id , there is option to "Close" Paypal account. Just click few buttons and your alternate paypal is closed

6) Now Push the domain to the buyer

7) Just wait and relax , buyer may be genuine , so nothing may happen. If he charge backs , you will get chargeback mail from paypal.

8) You dont have to do anything as the account is closed , you cant even login to reply! So you can simply ignore the mail

9) Paypal will chargeback and the alternate paypal will be negative- But thats already closed!so why you worry?

10) Meantime money will reach your bank account , withdraw it and go the nearby pub and say cheers to the scammer and paypal (not always necessary)

Just try this once , it works!!!

And yeah....

11)Make another alternate paypal id , needs just an email and a vcc , and wait for
the next Scammmer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom