Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Cease & Desist

Status
Not open for further replies.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the proper process if I want to send a cease & desist letter for trademark infridgement? I want to be able to be taken seriously the first time :D so it has to be bold and firm.

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
obviously it depends on details of the case. in some instances, turning the domain over to them immediately the smartest course of action. in other cases, you can mess with them a bit.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
[post edited because my question was answered and because of smart-ass comments by clueless individuals that have steered the conversation towards their entertainment]

edisaacson

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do they use "time change" for a product or do they use it for web design services? Also, if the services are similar, are you sure that your 1997 first use precedes their use?

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
[post edited because my question was answered and because of smart-ass comments by clueless individuals that have steered the conversation towards their entertainment]

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2003
Actually, it's me who wants to put the pressure on a company, who uses "time change" for a product.

I registered timechange® about a year ago, as a service mark for web design services. This web site comes very high in the searches for "time change" and that's been annoying me.

The difference is that theirs is 2 words while mine is a joined one. But in searches, spaces play minor role. I want to have them change that brand name or else license its usage.

Do you actually have a registered mark issued by some government? If so, is the other party using it for the same type of goods or services?

If you want to be taken seriously, you should have a lawyer send them the notice via registered mail on the law firm's letterhead.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

edisaacson

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It matters signifcantly if they don't use it for a service similar to yours. Unless your mark can be considered "famous". you really can't stop them. I can create a product called TIMECHANGE for cosmetics or a heart medicine and you wouldn't have standing. what do they use it for, there may a case for "channels of commerce" confusion.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

edisaacson

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Response to PM sent. I think those are actual postcards though, definitely different than web design services. And by "famous", I did mean "Coca-Cola" or "Pepsi". People in the industry may recognize your name, but the general public wouldn't confuse their postcards as coming from you.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Are they likely to be causing you to lose business?

I don't think so, by the sound of it!

You sound like you're practicing to be a FatCorporateBastard when you grow up.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2003
At least I am not a FilthyLazyMexican :D

Normally this type of comment would be considered rude and uncalled for - however since Drewbert started it with his 'FatCorporateBastard' remark - I would say things are even here.

Carry on! :)

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Back on subject. Thanks for the responses, please lock this thread. Thanks.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The fact is, I'm not Mexican, but he's still going to send a C&D to someone that doesn't deserve one.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think your rationale for sending a C&D in this case is very flimsy. It's pretty much akin to the people who try to get names they don't deserve via reverse cybersquatting. Unless they are running a web design business that's confusing your customers, you really don't have any cause to complain.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators