Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domaining is going to it's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Development?

Exactly.

You say the only way to survive is to get to the top of the food chain... there is your answer.

Be the innovator. Take your best domain and develop a service that makes the world a better place. Then promote the hell out of it, without resorting to fake traffic.

If the market likes what you did, it will reward you. If it doesn't, you will go the way you believe the industry is headed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the world also needs service workers.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Nominated for best troll post on DNForum. Never heard anyone complain making $350 /DAY! from parking.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think domaining is going to end completely, but will it change? Yes.
Will more emphasis be on true development, or domain leasing deals? Yes.
Will apps and the way we consume the internet on our phones change domaining? Likely Yes.

However, look at the some of the quality of domains being hawked at DNF. There are deals to be had for sure, but the majority of names are atrocious.

As katherine mentioned, most names that are being sold, and most that drop are completely and utter junk.
So stop giving your money to registrars by registering terrible names, and stop buying and trying to flip names that are terrible to start with.

It's really hard to convince someone that crap is gold and it's even harder to convince someone to pay for crap.

Invest in quality names. Names of products, services, etc that are short, memorable, and very descriptive.

These aren't cheap, but will attract a helluva lot more attention to prospective buyers.

It does take time, reading, and patience, and some good timing to snag quality domains that can be flipped to end users for good money.

It isn't easy, but online business is still huge and quality domains drive traffic and/or serve as a foundation on which to build a business on.

So it isn't over yet. Just my 2 cents.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nominated for best troll post on DNForum. Never heard anyone complain making $350 /DAY! from parking.

Two possibilities for this,
1. He has a high overhead and won't make it.
Or the latter and most likely incident,
2. He's using blackhat techniques and making 350/day, but not receiving payment because people are smarter than what he takes them for.

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well developing websites is something absolutely different than domaining. It's website developing. Domaining means buying/selling/parking pure domain names. It has nothing to do with content.

As I had said, I have been buying DNS errors where I could get domain names with traffic and also exact match keywords list from google adword tools where everything with more than 200.000 exact seaches has been an attractive offer and it receives type-in traffic. But now situation is changed, parking is not earning as much as it used to be.

I agree with Jack.

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The business is evolving and growing. I registered my first name just over a year ago and I see an abundance of opportunities. Having never had the experience of PPC income my plans do not even factor that into the equation. Most of the names that I hold are because I could envision a viable business plan for them or I just liked the name and in that case I'm also a collector. Leasing is a natural development in this business though it represents an entirely new business model. Most of the talk on the forums is about lease to own and in my estimation that is just creative financing because the one thing that is lacking in the domain name business is tradition financing options. True leasing is based on the fact that the name is not for sale to anyone and what the leasing company is building is a portfolio of income producing properties that are increasing in value. As a leasing company I am not interested in competing with the developer. Not every name is leasable and domaining in its purist definition will always exist.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well developing websites is something absolutely different than domaining. It's website developing. Domaining means buying/selling/parking pure domain names. It has nothing to do with content.

Domaining used to mean that. Everything changes. We once believed that the classical school of business management worked in the 1700s, but since evolved into quality school of management. Though business evolved much slower than domaining, we are now seeing a shift to the Japanese kaizen approach in the industry to see continuous improvements in processes which is introducing (nothing new) domain leasing and developing until there is a fit end user or solely base your business off of subsidiary sites that you want to own.

Domaining has evolved into making money from a domain name which is anything from what it was of buying/selling/parking to dropping parking and developing.

If your entire business model is to buy domains with type-ins and rely on that, you are going to fail and you see it failing already (high sevens to mid threes).

My suggestion to you is slowly develop downwards. Pick your breadwinners and develop them. Then get them ranked and you will see improvement in organic traffic as well as a significant revenue increase in the long run.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Of course I had thought about that, on this forum is about 98% of "domaining people", I use different emails there and here, different usernames and my parked domains are created in the clean and new accounts on PPC services and I always add portfolio with private registration only. So I am untraceable. I am just trying to find new how to generate money but it seems like it's impossible to order anywhere on the internet 100% clean traffic.

It's proxy traffic, it's generated traffic, it's fake traffic, it's fake traffic with clicking on the ads (terrible)...so it's impossible to make money from fake traffic.

I feel now like on BlackHatWorld(dot)com to talk about that stuff here.

Do you realize you are your own worst enemy, the reason the ppc business is in the dumps is due to click fraud, and non conversions. Essentially if you have a legitimate domain that was previously developed with a non foreign based traffic flow, and high PR, you are going to pay through the nose for it. You are seeking out domains that have no keyword sense, high traffic, and have mysteriously been dropped, you are going to find nothing but non converting traffic, or bot traffic.

The fact you are going out of you way to create new accounts, jump around from company to company, it seems you may have maxed out all your companies. Just because you are online, and have masked your profiles, and it most cases they will not pursue prosecution, does not mean what you are doing is ethically correct. Your actions hurt basically every honest, and hard working person in this forum, that has tried to do good in the domaining industry. Things like this just give the industry a black eye, and the fact you can't punch in a domain name, into your parking profile, and sit, and collect a payday everyday, makes the industry dead to you. Essentially you have no idea about what this industry is about. Your business model seems to flow around finding bot traffic, and getting paid before your account is suspended.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

That's like saying buying and selling vintage cars has nothing to do with restoration and repair. Sure, you might be able to flip some for a little bit of money but putting some time into a domain and developing it can yield a lot more money. Like it or not development and content have a lot to do with domaining today.

Plus, the methods you mentioned are considered shady at best by search engines and real domain professionals. You sell the domain based on traffic and then when the new owner gets a small fraction of the traffic you claimed the buyer will think they got scammed and it will make you selling domains even harder.

With development you generate real quality traffic plus when the site makes ad revenue you can sell it for a lot more or just take the consistent revenue and spend it elsewhere.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
though it may seem contrary:

in a way, i can understand the comment made above

as, "website developers" in a group by themselves, typically are not in the same group as your average domainer.

though for sure there are web developers who are also domainers and vice versa, but it's more likely that the majority of those who do one or the other, don't do both.

domaining as an adjective, basically does describe the buying and re-selling of domain names, along with the proceses and transactions involved.

all of the peripherals like, establishing and usage of parking services, creating drop catching/api software sites/lists and services, creating the bot, the agg, the blogs, the conventions, the auctions, creating domain management software, affiliate programs, mini-sites, adword/arbitrage, website development, adsense implementation,etc, etc..... all represent the growth of individual or groups of domainers, which in turn grew a market for domain related business.

as domaining grew, folks saw the needs and set out to fill them. thus making profitable businesses for themselves, while providing tools and services for others to profit from as well.

"domaining is not going to it's end, it's going thru an evolution."

imo...

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
a better title would be, the easy money in domaining is going to it's end (or something else in better english).

Nick

aka twomoon
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domaining is different for people who entered this game earlier, for people who earned something good on parking (earned at all). But for the people who came not long time ago and from the beginning needed to move their ass to earn something - almost nothing is changed. And I still beleive that buying something for $10 and selling it for $80 it's a good business

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been easy money in domaining ?
Hardly imo.

There was a time when you could pick some real nice domains for reg fee but the market (and the Internet as a whole) was much less mature, because there was little awareness.
When I started domaining pre-2000, there was no parking, the options for monetizing domains were limited.
Worse, I had no idea of the traffic some domains were getting - so much traffic and money wasted through ignorance :)

Nowadays the business has become very competitive, but there are more tools, and a lot more information available than in the early days.
The landscape has changed, the opportunities are different but still there.
It's never too late, because tomorrow we will all be saying yesterday was the good ole' days ;)
But not everybody can succeed. It's like any other business. Let me stress the keyword business. if you approach the whole thing like a game/hobby without a sound business plan you shouldn't expect to make a lot of money without effort.
Patience is needed too, because the rewards are not immediate. You reap what you sow.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'll bring this discussion to an end in one link: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=domain names
Nice trend for a search result, but I believe people already know where to go immediately instead of Google. They follow the boobs after the big game or races. I think this is a positive trend for domains as people are more savvy where to go to get one than years earlier.

To illustrate:
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=domain names, godaddy&cmpt=q

Domain names go down drastically, but venues go up the same way.

Last edited:

jaugusto

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice trend for a search result, but I believe people already know where to go immediately instead of Google. They follow the boobs after the big game or races. I think this is a positive trend for domains as people are more savvy where to go to get one than years earlier.

To illustrate:
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=domain names, godaddy&cmpt=q

Domain names go down drastically, but venues go up the same way.

You might have a point there, but an industry, any industry, only grows [or keeps growing] when new blood comes in.

Also, Godaddy top related search is "email godaddy" and of course you have "godaddy coupon", "codes" and alike, which are mandatory to any domain renewal on Godaddy these days...

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have found out that several of the domain names I own are Pagerank +4, so it's the best way to start developing them.

bemarnet

Europe's finest Domain Conferences!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
a better title would be, the easy money in domaining is going to it's end (or something else in better english).

I totally agree. Your portfolio has to be adjusted. Like Mr. Schwartz tells us, get rid of Pigeon s*it ! Reduce and choose only the best names. There si every day a possibility to increase performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom