Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

enom gives away free .info automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Got this reply just now from enom support :
"Hello joe,

The .info Registry and eNom has registered these names on your behalf and you have not been charged for them. They should be in your account shortly .......<snip>......."

Domain Summit 2024

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Should be interesting come next year when the "free" .info domains auto-renew at some registrars.

If eNom has set the "free" .info domains NOT to auto-renew, then I personally don't see a problem with the eNom .info giveaway; shows desperation on the part of the .info registry though having to resort to giveaways.

Ron

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
I guess when Joe (anyweb) said that he didn't register 131314.info, we have to trust that he didn't. You are asking for an example, right?

Sorry, did not realize he was saying that for some odd reason. Also did not know his name was Joe so the Whois meant little without knowing anyweb's real name.

P.S. Checked all my Enom com's and they did not register one info on my behalf.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
maybe they dont like us?
I havent checked all of my .coms, that would take all day, if not more, but a few dont show as regged.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
maybe they dont like us?

Good, don't want them to reg any info's for me so happy they did not. If they eventually do so I will immidiately tell them to unreg the names or try to cancel them. Why would I want to get a bunch of no value names from them even for free?

Not sure if Enom offers it but with GoDaddy they have a cool feature where you can easily cancel a domain. I have used it several times either due to being sick of getting so many renewal notices or else possible trademark issue names.

All it means is extra hassle and work managing them and then wondering if you should renew any of them 1 yr from now. That of course is obviously the game plan, where both the registry and registrar know a percentage will be renewed next year.

All these free info's tend to devalue the ext significantly, IMO. Let us hope the others such as US do not do the same crap promotional technique or US values will also decline.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, they have devalued the extension.
Very unfortunate as it is my favorite after .com
I have no idea what they were thinking...

M

mole

RealNames said:
Why would I want to get a bunch of no value names from them even for free?

Hey, that sounds like an unfair sour grapes statement :-D

As bidawinner once pointed out, anything after a certain number of regs after a certain period of time, you've missed the boat. He predicted that saturation of premium names would be around 600k-1m. Afilias kicked in the promo somewhere around the 1.2m mark.

The .INFO first class boat has long left the harbor.

The .COM namespace composes roughly 90% of rubbish that even kingpins like Buydomains will have no hope of selling till the end of the URL era in the history of mankind.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's just sad that people are so hungry of money these days (I too need some cash but not to that extreme greed) that even big corporations are playing with fire just to a cent or two. First, we have NetSol auctioning off expired domains without pushing them to the delete/RGP queue, then we have eNom registering "free" .info without registrants' permission. Arrhhh ... :sick:

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep.. just checked several of my .com names & yep. I now have the .info registered also! :-D Hmmmmmm....

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also now have the .info names registered on my behalf. This is surely kind of fishy. It makes you wonder if this is some kind of promotion or something. Well... the cat was let out of the bag early.

nameslave said:
It's just sad that people are so hungry of money these days (I too need some cash but not to that extreme greed) that even big corporations are playing with fire just to a cent or two. First, we have NetSol auctioning off expired domains without pushing them to the delete/RGP queue, then we have eNom registering "free" .info without registrants' permission. Arrhhh ... :sick:

1. Snapnames is a partner of Verisign
2. Verisign loses WLS battle, so it appears to the public
3. Snapnames strikes next best, near monopoly deal with NetSol
4. Verisign indirectly exposes hole in the current expired domain drop system.
5. Verisign revamps original WLS process and comes in for the kill.

I hate Verisign because of their strategic intellect. %+|

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, it seems there is a strategy at work here, and the above one sounds realistic.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well i guess that 25 per registrant thing can in no way shape or form be upheld, as people in this thread already stated they have had 40+ registered on their behalf

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jedi said:
well i guess that 25 per registrant thing can in no way shape or form be upheld, as people in this thread already stated they have had 40+ registered on their behalf
My understanding is that it's 25 free .info per registrant per registrar.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jedi said:
Yes , maybe I am wrong
Maybe enom only reg'd 25 for me
At first glance it appeared they had reg'd 40
My pathetic excuse is that I have reg'd 125 .info over the last week with 5 registrars and maybe when I checked enom I had already reg'd 15 of those

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i understand but my concern is that if people have registered 25 free domains with another enom reseller (or enom directly) and then all these new free .infos are showing up in your account... could lead to some problems with the 25 registrations per registrar rule! it's being discussed in this thread also...

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?p=432753#post432753

StrictlyNames

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have not received any free names at enom or anywhere else for that matter... I am trying to register 3 .infos right now that are available. Will they charge me? Or will I get them free?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
StrictlyNames said:
I have not received any free names at enom or anywhere else for that matter... I am trying to register 3 .infos right now that are available. Will they charge me? Or will I get them free?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
If you mean will enom charge you, then yes, they will

StrictlyNames

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply anyweb... I went ahead and used namesecure. 3 down.... 22 to go :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom