Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes it is possible, many possibilities from 'accidentally' deleting rules and ip networks, or wrong security patch applied to the router, and all other human errors, but this is not a small company NOT to have a backup (hardware or software) to restore from the original config. If we are talking 'router' issue, most hosting companies were configured to multi-connect from one to many links, so if one device failed the remaining active devices will provide the service.

If they identified it is a router table issue, I'm surprise that it was not restore sooner. The monitoring software can tell you if a device is not responding. Oh well.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Plus, the fact that GoDaddy changed their own DNS servers points to suspicion.

This is a foolish moved by GoDaddy.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes it could happen but smart companies should have a spare router and be able to restore from the backup (you don't change the router configuration every day/week) so the incident should not last for hours or the IT guys should look for another job.

I do this often at work and the longest downtime was 45 minutes. Most of the routers my company uses have CF cards that act as a boot disk and most of the time are up within 15 minutes.

The only excuse could be waiting for the parts to come in but with something this critical you should have backup supplies on hand. 6 hours, though (the length of the outage) is Cisco's limit for getting a replacement for higher priority customers (I've seen this done before) (but again, GD shouls have these parts on hand). Clearly, if a hardware issue was the case GD does not have any redundancy.

I guess GD took a page out of President Nemerov's (The Sum of All Fears) book, "better to appear guilty than impotent"

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Offsite redundancy should have been in place. And I'll bet they even advise some of their larger clients to do this.

Molotov

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
alot of companies run now coupons loling at godaddy

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's nice that GoDaddy actually apologized.

Last time I used them, they messed up their databases big time (randomly sorted domains into irrelevant accounts), and then asked customers for Photo IDs before correcting their own mistakes. Worst part is, not a word of apology, as if it was not their fault. You could guess I never use them for anything serious after that. It was sad because I was one of their early adopters.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's nice that GoDaddy actually apologized.

Last time I used them, they messed up their databases big time (randomly sorted domains into irrelevant accounts), and then asked customers for Photo IDs before correcting their own mistakes. Worst part is, not a word of apology, as if it was not their fault. You could guess I never use them for anything serious after that. It was sad because I was one of their early adopters.

I have a bad experience with GoDaddy last couple of months. A dedicated server disk failed, asked them to fix it. I requested to rebuild the server with a new disk, and put my old disk as slave so I can move my data. They ask me to pay $299 to do it. Why will I pay for extra service if my web server is actually down due to their hardware failures. To make the long story short, I dish out GoDaddy and move somewhere else. Good thing I have my own backup.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
alot of companies run now coupons loling at godaddy

Ya, saw them everywhere from their websites, facebook and twitter.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like if you log into your account, GoDaddy is providing make-good in store credits for the down time. Just log in to request yours. I only use them for domains, so I didn't get much, but if you have other services, you may get more.

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like if you log into your account, GoDaddy is providing make-good in store credits for the down time. Just log in to request yours. I only use them for domains, so I didn't get much, but if you have other services, you may get more.
I was happy with the reimbursement.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like if you log into your account, GoDaddy is providing make-good in store credits for the down time. Just log in to request yours.

Where do you request?

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On the account home page, there should be a message box with a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators