Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Going around the world. Tips from those in the know please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

On March 25th I begin an 'epic adventure' around the world. The trip will last 4 months, and will cost a lot :)

Firstly the route. My friend and I, are visiting the following places in this order:

Hong Kong (1 week), Thailand (18 days), Singapore (3 days), Australia (Between Brisbane, and Sydney) (3 weeks), NZ (3 weeks), and then the US (1 month).

Now I am pretty sure there is at least one person on this forum from each of these places. Perhaps you could help me, and make me feel more confident in my plan.

We have booked flights between the places. In NZ, and Australia we have booked a bus ticket to get around. In the US we have bought an Amtrak ticket to get around. In Thailand we are informed we can easily get buses as/when we want them, and we consider Singapore, and HK easy enough to get around.

The buses/train have been booked to essentially get us between big places, then we are assuming it is relatively easy to get around big cities for example?

With the US Amtrak train ticket, it allows us to travel '8 sectors' in a 15 day period. We arrive in Los Angeles, depart from New York. We intend to stay in each for 7 days, and then have 15 days in between in which to travel to other places.

The long and the short of it is that this is costing a lot, so we want to make it totally worthwhile. We have only booked accomodation in HK: our first stay.
Our idea was that we dont want to be restrained by having accomodation booked here, there, and everywhere. We are led to believe that it is easy to find a hostel in each and every one of these places. Could someone from each confirm?
The only one I am wary about is the US... from my visits in the past I have not seen much hostel activity...

Bearing the above in mind, I was curious as to some must see attractions, things that we have to do from the PofV of a tourist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

$dnf for the best ideas!

Thanks
Tom

Register for the auction

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bang a girl in every city you go...this is the best attraction :D

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind that the U.S. is very wide, and it will probably take around 5 days of train travel just to get from the west coast [L.A.] to the east coast [New York], not counting the stops you make in between.

(I biked coast-to-coast once, took 7 1/2 weeks ... I definitely recommend the train instead!) :)

On the east coast, you should stop in Philadelphia, where the U.S. nation was founded (see Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc.). Only 1 1/2 hours from New York by Amtrak.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far.

I agree,you'll feel like the trip was worth it.(just strap up)

Will try my best. I have been told to be extra careful in Thailand :)

The US is big - where are you going to? Where are you flying into and where does your Amtrack ticket take you?

I appreciate that :) Well that is the thing. Los Angeles, and NY, but we need to decide on the places in between.

Bear in mind that the U.S. is very wide, and it will probably take around 5 days of train travel just to get from the west coast [L.A.] to the east coast [New York], not counting the stops you make in between.

(I biked coast-to-coast once, took 7 1/2 weeks ... I definitely recommend the train instead!) :)

On the east coast, you should stop in Philadelphia, where the U.S. nation was founded (see Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc.). Only 1 1/2 hours from New York by Amtrak.

Hmm good point.. and Im assuming many places within america are not really day trips are they?

This is the page of the ticket we bought. We bought the 15 day, 8 segment ticket. Im also a bit confused as to the actual definition of a segment. Why oh why they cant just be clear :(

Thanks again

HarveyJ

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While in Australia, do NOT talk about sport... You think debates get heated in the politics forum here, you ain't seen nothin! I've seen people lose teeth over rugby, and they weren't players.

Also, with the beers, no Australian drinks Fosters. You'll be hard pressed to find it at a bar here, in fact. Most of the "import" beer you know is available in most places. Keep in mind that no one will ever take the piss out of you for drinking Tasmanian beers. They're the one thing that every Australian can agree on.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hit me up in Florida I will smoke you out my ninja :smokin:

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you must spend a few days in South Florida.
Ft. Lauderdale and Miami beaches are can't-miss. The Florida Keys are nice too, but you may not have enough time.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the replies, and advice. More would be welcomed/appreciated.

Harvey, I'll note to drink Tazmanian beer as well as whatever the Aussies are drinking :)
Fortunately sport is not my thing, thus given your siggestion I wont even bother trying to pretend I know anything about sport :)

Re America
We are going to LA/NY given that is where we are arriving/leaving from.
I also really want to visit Florida: I want to visit Moniker (and see where my domains are being kept), as well as (of course) wanting to meet Focus, and Bob..

I also believe my friend really wants to visit San Francisco, and Stanford (although I have no idea where Stanford is).

I am thinking that rather than my original, naive assumption of visiting loads of places for numerous day trips, rather designate 4 or 5 significant places/areas and stay there for 5 or so days each.. 25 days + 5 days= 30 days :)

Does that sound more reasonable..?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Best advice you will get :smilewinkgrin:

Second best bit of advice, if things don't pan out this way, don't bang your mate out of desperation. Or worse still, let him bang you :lol:

mxdominios

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how much is this trip going to cost you?

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the replies, and advice. More would be welcomed/appreciated.

Harvey, I'll note to drink Tazmanian beer as well as whatever the Aussies are drinking :)
Fortunately sport is not my thing, thus given your siggestion I wont even bother trying to pretend I know anything about sport :)

Re America
We are going to LA/NY given that is where we are arriving/leaving from.
I also really want to visit Florida: I want to visit Moniker (and see where my domains are being kept), as well as (of course) wanting to meet Focus, and Bob..

I also believe my friend really wants to visit San Francisco, and Stanford (although I have no idea where Stanford is).

I am thinking that rather than my original, naive assumption of visiting loads of places for numerous day trips, rather designate 4 or 5 significant places/areas and stay there for 5 or so days each.. 25 days + 5 days= 30 days :)

Does that sound more reasonable..?

Stanford is 30 mins from SF and about 40 mins from me...

hit me up when you get to the bay area...

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bleh about £6-8k in total.. $10-14k

Sounds like you're getting a great deal on airfare. I spend about 2K+ per round trip ticket just shuttling between the US and Europe.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We arrive in Los Angeles, depart from New York. We intend to stay in each for 7 days, and then have 15 days in between in which to travel to other places.

With that kind of time, it would be great to just drive.

You could rent a car, from LA go to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, then hit New Orleans, head across over to Florida, take i-95 up the coast, stop on in Washington DC, spend a night with Obama and stay in the Lincoln Room, then head up to NY.

That is the exact route I took one year in College.

Me and a mate flew out to LA.

This trip was 17 days.

We spent extended time in Oklahoma hanging out with my brother and in New Orleans hanging out with my Dad.

We were in no rush, could have done it in less time or we could have even spent more time.

But it was a great road trip.

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i agree with doc....rent a car in LA

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Second best bit of advice, if things don't pan out this way, don't bang your mate out of desperation. Or worse still, let him bang you :lol:

Listen to Preddy, he speaks from his own personal experience! :pound:

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the suggestions/info :)

Regarding driving: I have just done a bit of research, and it would seem no rental company will provide me with a car, as I am only 18, and a reasonably new driver :(

I'd be very interested if anyone knew otherwise?

Other siggestions appreciated.
Cheers

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bad news for that Tom i'm afraid. As far as Europe is concerned, 25 is now the norm, not even 21, nuts!
Not sure about the US, you can drive at 16 and prob have a gun at 18, but not drink until 21, bear that in mind if you are wanting to go on lash, on a sidenote.

no car and no beers, it's looking grimmer! he says jealously lol

im actually on a roadtrip this summer with some mates, its scandinavia for just 10 days. longest i could swing as a daddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom