Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Going around the world. Tips from those in the know please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it would seem no rental company will provide me with a car, as I am only 18, and a reasonably new driver :(

Can you get an adult to co-sign? or get a fake id?
I have rented cars when younger and was forced to pay extra because I was not 24.

How can you get a boy and girl confused? does anyone have a picture, waist up, of course?

Asheville is a great base for that, and they take more kindly to furriners than some other places you could go.
yes John is 100% right, if you visit aSHEville, NC( named because of the lesbos) look me up, I'm in Greensboro, NC, 2.5 hours away

What dates are you looking at? Do any correspond with any festivals or holidays? I recommend a BBQ festival

Last edited:
Domain Summit 2024

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it really that bad? Any other option to see rednecks in a safe enviroment?

They are pretty much unavoidable anywhere, really. A lot of Americans don't like foreigners.

True story - I was in Las Vegas one day on Fremont Street watching the light show. Two tourists from Brazil were speaking to each other and a woman near me turned to them and shouted, "This is America. Speak English!"

I was so embarrassed, but her attitude is typical of many in the US. I felt doubly bad since, as a confused tourist in Brazil with zero knowledge of Portugese, people there had been so amazingly friendly and helpful it was almost creepy.

The last known foreign tourists to visit in Alabama are shown in this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...aSf_kJpTuqAKDzIXxAw&q=+rednecks+alabama&hl=en

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to mention this episode of TG in my last post. Pretty hilarious and sad at the same time. I remember that other video where a guy was driving a small BMW and the rednecks didn't like the idea of a "femini" car being driven by a man, so they chased him with a video camera, in the meanwhile planned how to beat the guy with their baseball bats.. What they were not expecting is a gun, the BMW driver became the lucky new owner of the camera and uploaded the vid to Youtube.

packeted

DNF Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did a similar trip in my medical elective a few years ago, you'll have a great time.

Look in to hiring a car in the states if you can, I can't remember if I hired a car younger than 21 in the states but some companies (including Budget) will allow you to hire if you pay a daily supplement (something like $25/day)... There's nothing like being out on the open road in California, especially in a convertible:) One time we used a company called usrentacar.co.uk - looking at their website it says you have to be 21 but they might be able to help/give advice.

I'd recommend checking out Hollywood, Sunset Blvd, Melrose Dr, Santa Monica, San Diego (awesome night life and young crowd) and take a trip out to Las Vegas/Grand Canyon if you can! San Francisco is awesome too if you can make it up north a bit.. Make sure you try an In-and-out burger LOL. You're spoilt for choices with beaches, one of my favourites was Mission Beach in San Diego...

New York - the usual things, Empire State building, statue of Liberty, take a ferry tour, Wall Street, check out the Park and Bryant Park... Walk around, Times Square, Broadway, Macys, check out the camera stores if you're in to that, B&H etc :)

Hong Kong - so much to do here, I'd pay a visit to Dragon-i (night club) in Lan Kwai Fong - the girls here are amazing here especially on a models night.. Check out the Peak, Big Buddha and cable car (worlds longest). Mong Kok and Sham Shui Po for electronics... I'd recommend a cocktail at Felix at the Peninsula hotel (one of worlds top rated hotels, has a fleet of RR Phantoms).. Also check out Azure bar in Lan Kwai Fong for a good view. If you fancy a good steak check out Morton's steak house in the Sheraton... Take a boat trip - on the Star Ferry at the very least, you can hire junk's I think or find someone with a private yacht at Dragon-i! Stanley Market for the odd clothes bargain.. Temple Street market for the experience and tat... If you're in to electronics then check out the Sham Shui Po street markets, they sell EVERYTHING here.. Check out some of the malls, IFC is probably the best one these days. Disney land for about $35 a day if you're in to that kinda thing, or Ocean Park is a good day out... Car tuning shops in Mong Kok.. If you're really in to cars then you could check out one of the car supermarkets, there's one under the Wan Chai convention centre which has all sorts from Ferrari's, Lambo's to Nissan GT R35s etc.. Clearwater Bay and Repulse Bay for beaches (near Stanley)... Maybe go to a horse race at the Jockey Club if you can arrange it. Don't be afraid to use taxi's, they're really cheap, $15HKD starting fare for the first 2km...Otherwise the MTR (tube) and bus services are great and very cheap. Take a tram whilst you're there too...

You could also think about taking a day trip from HK to Macau, costs about $150HKD return on the turbo jet boat, things to see and do there, and might give you a taste for Vegas - check out the new massive Venetian they've built there. You can also go go-karting here, good Portugese food and interesting night life...

New Zealand - I spent a week driving around the north island. Go to Rotarua, do some of the outdoor activities, black water rafting, louge, etc. Pay a visit to the hot thermal spas. If you're a skier take a trip to Whakapapa for a day. Go up to the bay of islands and swim with dolphins and just generally enjoy the beautiful scenery. Don't stay too long in Auckland, not a huge amount going on here.

On my trip I rarely booked accommodation in advance to give me flexibility. This was absolutely no problem in the states, a multitude of motels with availability and open late. NZ things are a little quieter, but if you can ring ahead you'll be fine armed with a guide book.

Like you say it'll be expensive. If you don't mind hostels things will be a fair bit cheaper but enjoy it and worry about the money when you get back :)

Cheers,
Francis

Just to add, from past experience, you can stay in motels in California for around $50-80 per night in general for a double room, Motel6 are even cheaper I think but don't always have availability. We stayed at the Vagabond Inn in Hollywood for around $100/night, nice and central although some dodgy night-time action going on there! Hostels wise, my brother said the "Big Apple" in NYC was good, I stayed at a few Hostelling International (http://www.hihostels.com/) ones in SF/SD which seemed decent but probably close to $30/night and I soon got tired of dorms..

Shame about the current exchange rate... I just got back from a road trip around France, now that place is extortionate at the moment!

Last edited:

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You can make HK your Asia hub & fly Cathay Pacific to 15 destinations including Australia & NZ. They occasionally offer great deals from NY to HK + 15 destinations for under $2k

Also - your credit card may not always work in the Third World. And where does the 3rd world begins? Last year I bought a thousand $$ worth of goodies at the Greek National Museum in Athens. But they don't accept credit cards! I had to go to the bank to get cash.

You can order a Greek salad in the Turkish restaurant (at least in NYC),
but you can't ask for a Turkish coffee in a Greek restaurant. If you're in Malaysia stick with Chinese food. Chances are your stomach is not ready for their spices. In Ethiopia you eat with your hands. No silverware. Eat with your RIGHT hand. The left hand is reserved for the bathroom use.

The best Sunday deals are always in the best hotels in town. Pick a 5-star hotel and go get unlimited buffet lunch there.

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John, Thanks for taking the time. I look forward to any ideas you may have.

So to compile.

America
Arrive LA: do holywood etc, sunset blvd.
-I'd like to visit Vegas, and San Francisco, but in relation to LA and our general direction they are a bit out of the way, and dont fit easily within the constraints of the train ticket.. Ideas?
Visit San Diego: Disney world, zoos.
Cross to Tijuana
Head towards Florida: Do we go to Miami, Tampa, and Orlando?! Do Buses easily move in between the 3, or do we need to use the train for this?
Perhaps visit New Orleans on the way: again, what is there to do/see in NO?
Then head up to New York, via Washington.

Does that sound good given the constraints of time/travel, to optimize the best places to visit..? Ill try and avoid dodgy areas :)

Hong Kong
Absolutely great Francis. We are going to watch the HK 7s, and are only staying for a week, so that is more than enough (perhaps too much), Thanks very much !

NZ
Great, cheers for the suggestions. Looks like I will essentially be compiling a list of things to do :)
Regarding accomodation here, we have booked a bus ticket that actually guarantees at least one nights accomodation at each place it stops. We will stay in many places multiple nights, but at least we have something :)

I appreciate it will be expensive, but this is meant to be one of those things we remember for ever, and as long as we do it reasonably well well worth the cost!
Hostel wise, we are looking at about £10-15 a night for around 100 nights, so £1,500..
Although that is averaged out: we appreciate some places will be more expensive, other places we have relatives etc....
Accomodation budget is similar to the alcohol budget :)

dn101, cheers for the advice, but flights are already booked, and we are not visiting Ethipia.

packeted

DNF Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe check out Boston, I've always been meaning to and hear it's very nice... I've been to DC a few times, not a huge amount to do there, check out Dupont Circle, George Town...

Got any plans for when you get back? :)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of Americans don't like foreigners.

I could write a book on just what I've seen in my travels.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...aSf_kJpTuqAKDzIXxAw&q=+rednecks+alabama&hl=en
When i first saw that I laughed, then cry.

New York - the usual things, Empire State building, statue of Liberty, take a ferry tour, Wall Street, check out the Park and Bryant Park... Walk around, Times Square, Broadway, Macys, check out the camera stores if you're in to that, B&H etc :) !

While the Statue of Liberty is extremely nice, Ellis island (the ferries hit both) is extremely nice and very historically educational. Its amazing to stand where the trains used to leave the station and think "this is where so many people got their first taste of America. They got onto the train and went into the unknown.

Head towards Florida: Do we go to Miami, Tampa, and Orlando?! Do Buses easily move in between the 3, or do we need to use the train for this?

N'Orleans is nice, most of the tourist areas are built back up after Katrina but if you want to depress yourself, go though the 9th ward.

Tampa and Orlando are near each other - maybe 45-60 minutes car ride. Ft Lauderdale / Miami is about 2 1/2 -3 1/2 hours away (best to take a train or a commuter flight).

Maybe check out Boston, I've always been meaning to and hear it's very nice...

Boston is very nice - The Commons, the aquarium is one of the best in the US, the museums are nice (science museum, computer museum, etc..). While he's there might as well hit Cape Cod and Nantucket or Marthas Vineyard.

Tom - you might need more time in the US! :)

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmm Boston.. maybe. See if I can fit it in :)
As for DC, My mate has been there before, and also said it was boring, so that is a 'possible' for now.

Would there be a bus between Tampa/Orlando? and Miami?
Cheers for the info Draggar.

Yes, I probably could do with more time everywhere :D

Sadly I have to get back, because in answer to Francis' question I am off to Leeds uni to do 'Business Economics'. Changed my mind on medicine :)

Cheers

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to mention this episode of TG in my last post. Pretty hilarious and sad at the same time. I remember that other video where a guy was driving a small BMW and the rednecks didn't like the idea of a "femini" car being driven by a man, so they chased him with a video camera, in the meanwhile planned how to beat the guy with their baseball bats.. What they were not expecting is a gun, the BMW driver became the lucky new owner of the camera and uploaded the vid to Youtube.
Need a link to that! Precious.

Two tourists from Brazil were speaking to each other and a woman near me turned to them and shouted, "This is America. Speak English!
Unfortunately, a very common, just like people on here criticising others for their lack of English skills.

What? We allow foreigners on DNF?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cross to Tijuana

Make sure to check your US Visa rules!

Nobody, and I mean nobody is going to check you on the way out of the US at the TJ crossing. You just walk right in through a one-way gate, and nobody on the other side is going to ask to see your passport. There is a convenient trolley from several points in San Diego that will take you to the border crossing.

If your US Visa does not permit multiple entry, then you are not getting back into the US once you enter Mexico.

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are pretty much unavoidable anywhere, really. A lot of Americans don't like foreigners.

True story - I was in Las Vegas one day on Fremont Street watching the light show. Two tourists from Brazil were speaking to each other and a woman near me turned to them and shouted, "This is America. Speak English!"

I was so embarrassed, but her attitude is typical of many in the US. I felt doubly bad since, as a confused tourist in Brazil with zero knowledge of Portugese, people there had been so amazingly friendly and helpful it was almost creepy.

Very sad :(

I agree, when in a different country I find people to be quite friendly.

for instance...

Many Americans have a distorted view of the French...I found them to be very polite and nice while in France.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Again Im probably being an idiot, but the company I booked through said I did not need a visa for the US, and just had to log my intention to travel on the US gov website, which i have done.. ?

I wouldn't rely on second hand information on that subject.

Is this the website you used:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/visa_wizard.html

The trouble is that when you arrive by air, you must show your return ticket or itinerary. If you then go to Mexico, and try to re-enter, the system is going to have you entering twice and not leaving. You should check this out with the consulate.

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Foreigners get this no matter where they go, it's not just in the USA... When you can speak and understand multiple languages, it's almost entertaining to hear people talking trash about you in a language you can understand.

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John, Thanks for taking the time. I look forward to any ideas you may have.

So to compile.

America
Arrive LA: do holywood etc, sunset blvd.
-I'd like to visit Vegas, and San Francisco, but in relation to LA and our general direction they are a bit out of the way, and dont fit easily within the constraints of the train ticket.. Ideas?
Visit San Diego: Disney world, zoos.
Cross to Tijuana
Then head up to New York, via Washington.

Does that sound good given the constraints of time/travel, to optimize the best places to visit..? Ill try and avoid dodgy areas :)

Hong Kong
Absolutely great Francis. We are going to watch the HK 7s, and are only staying for a week, so that is more than enough (perhaps too much), Thanks very much !

NZ
Great, cheers for the suggestions. Looks like I will essentially be compiling a list of things to do :)
Regarding accomodation here, we have booked a bus ticket that actually guarantees at least one nights accomodation at each place it stops. We will stay in many places multiple nights, but at least we have something :)

I appreciate it will be expensive, but this is meant to be one of those things we remember for ever, and as long as we do it reasonably well well worth the cost!
Hostel wise, we are looking at about £10-15 a night for around 100 nights, so £1,500..
Although that is averaged out: we appreciate some places will be more expensive, other places we have relatives etc....
Accomodation budget is similar to the alcohol budget :)

dn101, cheers for the advice, but flights are already booked, and we are not visiting Ethipia.

driving idea:

la up the coast to sf over to lake tahoe down through yosemite into vegas to the grand canyon and back to la down to sd/tj...drop off car and onto your train/plane...

you can even stay a night or two with me in santa cruz....about an hour from sf, half an hour from silicon valley, 5 hours from la and 4 hours from tahoe....

GUA

Gremlin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The website on whcih I registered my intention to visit was: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/esta.html

Apparently it is a new thing, and then they simply check that you have a valid passport on entry.

I will however make sure to be VERY cautious if we decide to venture over to Tijuana.

Again thanks for all the info, and Chad, I might just take you up on that offer :) Unfortunately however I have had zero luck with finding a rent-a-car service for an 18 year old who has held a license for less than 6 months....

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom