Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Just got my first offer on Sedo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woofard

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like the going to auction idea I feel that would be a deal breaker for some potential buyers and understandably so. Anyway, good luck with closing the deal.
I completely agree with this. Sending to auction in the middle of trying to make a deal would break the deal for me. I can't stand it when godaddy sends my $20 backorders to auction, much less a $500 sale in the making. I can't quite put my finger on why it bugs me or seems wrong, it just does. :-}

Domain Summit 2024

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
counter at $1000.

If you hadn't had a BIN price of 1288, and if I knew what the domain was, it's possible you could counter for higher.

I'm confused. I didn't realise that if you had a BIN price at Sedo you could get offers below that. I thought anyone interested had to pay the named price.

nydomain

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They have two options: a buy it now and a make offer.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. I didn't realise that if you had a BIN price at Sedo you could get offers below that. I thought anyone interested had to pay the named price.

sedo has 2 options now; Fixed Price (you have to buy at that price) or BIN (can accept offers)

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with this. Sending to auction in the middle of trying to make a deal would break the deal for me. I can't stand it when godaddy sends my $20 backorders to auction, much less a $500 sale in the making. I can't quite put my finger on why it bugs me or seems wrong, it just does. :-}

You haven't really got a choice as a buyer.

If you offer $100, you are bound to pay $100, whether the offer is accepted, or whether it goes to auction and nobody else bids.

The seller cannot lose here as the initial offer is, for all intents and purposes, guaranteed, and anyone else who wants to pay more, has the opportunity to do so.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was not a fixed price, but 'suggested' (expected) price.

You have:
  1. fixed price (BIN), no negotiation
  2. or negotiation (suggested price can be added as a guide to the potential buyer but is optional)

woofard

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You haven't really got a choice as a buyer.

If you offer $100, you are bound to pay $100, whether the offer is accepted, or whether it goes to auction and nobody else bids.

The seller cannot lose here as the initial offer is, for all intents and purposes, guaranteed, and anyone else who wants to pay more, has the opportunity to do so.

Oh you always have a choice... deals fall through all the time at Sedo from people not paying.

And, "the seller cannot lose here" with the buyer getting the short hand of the deal is a crappy way of doing business. Sales should be win-win. Period.

If I make a deal with someone as a seller, I expect the buyer to stand by their offer and keep their word. As a seller I expect to be held to the same standard. If I make a deal with someone and then suddenly send it to auction after a deal has been made, I'm not keeping my part of the deal to sell the name at the agreed upon price and keep my word by selling the name as agreed. If an auction was part of the negotiation from the beginning, that's fine. To send it to auction at the final stage of a deal is low handed, get-mine-and-screw-you, dirty thing to do. It's not win-win at all. Just because you can do something because you stand to gain from it, doesn't make it right. There's too much of that crap going on in the world. We don't need any more of it.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seriously, ask $1K, close it, get the cash, and be onto the next project, lol, this is the most longest painful sedo negotiation I have ever seen.

Unless you got bank, and time, don't mess around with sedo offers, if you got little invested in it, and have an asking price of 1288, make the seller feel good, and you will get close to what you asked so win win, wrap it up, and move on.

Sedo auctions are not what they used to be for brandables, only short terms, or generics do well in auctions...
Sometimes buyer can be turned off by waiting out an auction, only to see it sell at the same price, knowing no one else wanted it, and might not follow thru, has happend to me, so your risk is your reward. For sales less than $10K you really don't have much recourse if the buyer does not follow thru.

Last edited:

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh you always have a choice... deals fall through all the time at Sedo from people not paying.

And, "the seller cannot lose here" with the buyer getting the short hand of the deal is a crappy way of doing business. Sales should be win-win. Period.

If I make a deal with someone as a seller, I expect the buyer to stand by their offer and keep their word. As a seller I expect to be held to the same standard. If I make a deal with someone and then suddenly send it to auction after a deal has been made, I'm not keeping my part of the deal to sell the name at the agreed upon price and keep my word by selling the name as agreed. If an auction was part of the negotiation from the beginning, that's fine. To send it to auction at the final stage of a deal is low handed, get-mine-and-screw-you, dirty thing to do. It's not win-win at all. Just because you can do something because you stand to gain from it, doesn't make it right. There's too much of that crap going on in the world. We don't need any more of it.

It is absolutely win-win. I don't get why you would say otherwise.

If we have a deal at $100, and no more bids come, then you've got your deal at $100.

But of someone bids it up to $150, then they're willing to pay that on their own free will. It is then up to you to adjust your bid accordingly to what the domain is worth.

Why should I sell for $100 when others offering $150 are readily available?

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

When you engage in negotiations as a buyer, you agreed to the terms of the service (godaddy, sedo etc.) so it should come as no surprise when a seller sends it to auction.

If you don't want a seller to send it to auction, then negotiate via other means.

Blue Wren

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank all

I countered with 760 and the buyer just shot back 525 and a message: "This is my final offer".

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The "This is my final offer" message at sedo doesn't mean much in my limited experience. But i would probably accept it when happy and move on to the next domain :)

Blue Wren

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The "This is my final offer" message at sedo doesn't mean much in my limited experience. But i would probably accept it when happy and move on to the next domain :)

Yep. Am going to do just that I think. Thanks (again) Jeroen.

Maxwell

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$525 in the hand sure beats a wish for $760.

Take it, and don't look back!

Blue Wren

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can report that the transaction is complete and the dosh comes out of Sedo's escrow shortly.
First domain sale so I'm happy with the result.
Hand-reg'ed at 10; wait 4 months and turn it into a Sedo sale of 525. Sedo takes 79 commission leaving me 446.

Now I need to rinse and repeat.

smile.gif

Domonetise

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Blue Wren on your first sale! :clap2: Hope to follow you soon..

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Agree with most, I would counter with 1K... Your reducing your price by over 20%, and buyers like a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom