Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Latest from T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

shepherd2

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just got home from the conference and I have to say it was just amazing. I really can't put it all in words but I'll say this.. you do not want to miss traffic 2005 !
Ron will post many more pics in the next day or two. Take it easy on him. This conference was extremely overwhelming and busy and we had very little time to get any sleep between seminars, chats, and speaches.
And for a little more great news.. Rick's board is being redesigned to accomodate more members and it will be more open then it is now. It won't be an open board as others however, if you make a name for yourself in this industry there is no reason in the world you won't be accepted to the board.
There are allot of other great things that are coming but I rather you SEE them rather then just talk about them. Stay tuned.
Cheers

Promediary

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pardon the redundancy, but this is a duplicate of comments posted moments ago in another thread, which now seems more appropriately posted here:

It appears that I'm the first to return home from the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Conference, so allow me seize the moment to share my impressions. It's a preview of what you will likely read and hear from everyone -- yes, everyone -- who attended.

I didn't go with lofty expectations. After all, few, if any, first year trade show events hit a high note. And year-two events are most often refined from criticisms, shortcomings and outright blunders experienced in year-one. Not this time.

Simply stated, T.R.A.F.F.I.C. 2004 was a landmark achievement -- one of those rare moments in time where your instincts whisper, then shout, that you've been privileged to be at the epicenter of something really special, if not historical. I think we all left feeling that a heretofore loosely bound marketplace of fractured interests, faceless screen-names, distant transactioners and often contentious personalities suddenly crystallized into an industry, invigorated by the energy of common interest, congeniality, collegial cooperation and possibilities.

Imagine ... fiercely competitive PPC providers like DomainSponsor, Sedo and Fabulous huddling to find common ground in an effort to uplift the state of the industry; and candidly acknowledging that their own solutions are not always the best choice for optimal monetization ... Reps from Overture and Google listening, at last, to the gripes, needs and wishes of domainers and publishers ... Even Pool GM Taryn Naidu bowed to harsh criticisms with uncharacteristic humility, acknowledged the folly of its corporate arrogance, and pledged, seemingly in earnest, to reevaluate its sealed bid program and build more congenial relationships with its clients. (This is not your cue to crap on this thread with cynical rants. Give 'em a chance. Then rant, if need be.)

It's easy, if not somewhat inherent, to misperceive those amongst us as mere avitars in a digital marketplace. Yet today, I see them -- and you -- with fresh eyes. The domainers I met at the Traffic Conference were remarkably sharp, personable and forward-thinking business people with highly sophisticated business models and visionary blueprints. All were approachable, cordial and an absolute joy to get to know. Really decent people, worth knowing. And what I learned from them in three days by simply listening dwarfs all I had learned before.

I point this up, in particular, to caution each of you against sniping impatiently at fellow members. This marketplace is comprised of real people, not just faceless screen names and avatars. And the odds are better than good that most know more than you do, and would sooner share that knowledge than partake in online pissing contests.

Surely, Rick Schwartz makes a worthy and familiar target for vitriol. His ego and bombast is often intolerable. But I tell you, without reservation, Rick's got his thumb squarely on the pulse of this industry and his forefinger pointed squarely at a renaissance of prosperity for savvy, forward-thinking domainers.

What he and Howard Neu pulled-off this week was remarkable. In the span of three days, 125 seemingly self-absorbed power domainers from throughout the world, along with key vendors, converged at the busy intersection of competitive interests and common ground, and celebrated not what is, but rather what can be accomplished in a collegial working environment. And what transpired will ultimately benefit everyone, including you.

As for the event itself, in a word, perfect. Those who plunked-down big money to attend were fed like kings, fattened like dogs, freely boozed and "broadly" entertained. No reasonable expense was spared to make this a first-class affair and create an environment which was conducive to the business of doing business.

If you missed the event, don't miss the next.

Those who know me -- including my own kids -- know that I am not generally predisposed to tossing around gratuitous praise. It tends to dilute and trivialize the real purpose of recognition. But when merited by outstanding deed or performance, I am the generally first to stand and applaud. And so it is that I rise and say to Rick, Howard and the conference sponsors and participants who contributed so much more than mere money, THANK YOU for a job well done!"

To steal a word from those funky, animated Guinness Beer characters, “Brilliant!”

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Scott, that was an incredibly gracious roundup, yet at the same time you paint what already seems to be developing as the "consensus picture" of a remarkably successful event.

Once the bruises on my leg subside from kicking myself over not having attended, I'll have to start planning towards the 2005 event.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
shepherd2 wrote:

And for a little more great news.. Rick's board is being redesigned to accomodate more members and it will be more open then it is now. It won't be an open board as others however, if you make a name for yourself in this industry there is no reason in the world you won't be accepted to the board.
++++++++++++++

Hooey. That says business as usual.

chatcher

Crazy Chuck
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Rick's board will see an increase in interest due to the conference. I am not a member of the board and never have been. I now know there are some great people there, and maybe it has helped them with their businesses. After meeting and talking with some of the board members, I have to say I was quite surprised at how some of them focus on that board to the exclusion of other information sources, possibly to their detriment. More than once in conversation I would mention something important that has been discussed at length on this and other public boards and get this incredulous look of surprise. The conference brought insiders (members of Rick's board) and outsiders (the rest of us) together, and I think both groups learned some things.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seriously, the food was great.

The hard part was actually eating anything, because I don't think I've ever spent as much time continuously engaged in fascinating discussions.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Seriously, the food was great.

The hard part was actually eating anything, because I don't think I've ever spent as much time continuously engaged in fascinating discussions.

John, you only found them fascinating because you were doing all of the talking! People were mesmerized by that great voice you have and just wanted to hear you speak. You could have read the Delray Beach phone directory and people would hang on every word. :)

(In case you think I'm kidding folks - I'm not. We need to start calling him James Earl Jones Jr.).

changejobs

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John,

Be honest john, You didnt let anyone else near the buffet:)

regards and best wishes
larry
Smartname.com
where it pays to point your name

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had mentioned in another thread that there would be a show week wrap up published tonight with many previously unseen photos and new information. However in addition to all of the stuff I have, some nice people are still sending me additional photos they took and notes about the show that I want to incorporate, so I will hold that piece until Monday afternoon. I already did 3 rush jobs during the week there so I want to give this one a little TLC!

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:

I think you had a hard time eating anything for other reasons, John (thanks Garry C.) :)

BIG thanks to Rick, Howard, and their respective ladies who all worked very hard to organize the show.

To echo what Scott Ross said - taking shots at domainers (be it "The Domain King" or anyone else), thinking you can hide behind your keyboard is totally inappropriate. Any sense of elitism is EARNED and JUSTIFIABLE. Everyone at the show was on equal footing - attending based on the merits of their domain porfolios and their conduct on the vairous boards. As one of the younger guys at the show, and being newer to domaining than most, it was great to see that offline discriminators like age, race, religion, and economic background didn't come into play at all.

You're crazy if you don't attend next year's conference.

Even people who weren't there will benefit when the various sponsors, registrars, and other providers return to work and implement the great suggestions we all put forth.

This conference was a landmark event and will produce benefits for everyone throughout the industry.

-Russ

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it was great to see that offline discriminators like age, [...] didn't come into play at all.

...unless the A/C needed to be adjusted.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators