Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Ok, the rumor is true and I'm angry

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Check a domain at godaddy yesterday and its available

Go to register it today and its registered

No doubt, in my mind that Godaddy sells or the registrant can see the past name checking I was doing

Next time, i see something i like , I gotta register it on the spot

It is getting tougher and tougher out there

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you might check back in a week they might just be tasting/testing

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, I noticed that if I used them to check if a domain was available, that domains with the same keyword in it would quickly come up underneath as suggestions.

I don't know if they are just automated or previous searches. Some of the ones listed are already registered, some of them weren't. But since that - I won't use that site to check domains I might actually want.

NURCA

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Give it a fews day, I may decide to drop it.
Just joking it's probably being tested for traffic.
Dont click on this domain in the meantime.
Use a trusted registrar like Namecheap.com to
conduct your search next time for this name
next time. If it's available snap it up. If not
wait a few more days and check again. If it's
taken still you may want to consider an offer
(whois.sc) or search for an available name.

Nurca

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Check out the landing page. If it looks like a "tasting" page, then like fatter said, go back 5 days later and it may be available again.

I understand your frustration. It's hard for an individual to do this anymore. As soon as you look at something, these registrars monetize that information immediately by supplying the search results to paying subscribers (not the little guy).

Unfortunately, you have to reg it immediately if you see something. Moniker does offer the ability to taste domains like the big guys for a smaill fee.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They were doing this 7 YEARS ago when I worked for Verio.com in south florida...at the end of the day we would all get an email list of "attempted" registrations...to hunt for gold ;)

Imagine nowadays how many people see this info...if it looks half decent and you search for it and add it to your cart but don't register it, you can almost count on it getting tasted..but they usually will get dropped back a few days later so DO NOT goto the domain!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I hear X-Files 2 is about such strange phenomena, abduction of domains, PPC paralysis etc.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny, this thread reminded me to check on a domain I was going to register. Checked it at Godaddy came back later and it was taken.

Guess what? The domain is available again. Still haven't decided if I want to reg it, lol

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny how bad you want it once someone else takes it...lol

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree with Focus, disregard my suggestion about looking at the page. That's only going to create traffic and give them a reason to keep it. You can check out the WhoIs; after a while you'll get an idea of who the usual culprits are.

However, disagree with Nurca re Namecheap. I think they're going to disseminate the info too. Division of Enom, which was recently bought by the guy here in LA (his name starts with B, can't remember it) who sold MySpace to News Corp last year. I find it hard to believe he's not going to milk this thing too.

Only safe bet actually is checking the registry itself.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it a Godaddy thing or just when the different registrars ping the central registry to see if the domain is available? If it is the latter then it could happen with any registrar. I have noticed this in the past and this is why I do not add domains to my cart when I search for them.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jdk, you don't even have to add it to your cart, just by searching the term you are giving them the info. I use NetSol because you can put in 10 terms at a time, and they show the results graphically, but they're one of the worst resellers out there.

dotworx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As MactY suggested, simply use DomainTools.com. I use Moniker to check names as sometimes DomainTools.com may not have the latest WHOIS info.

godolphin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For fun, when i find some of my potential typos taken by Wan Fu or Belgium etc. i make such names:
ToHellwithBelgiumDomains .com
Wanfukungfu .com
and other random words which i can't write here. Wonder how tasty they might find such names :lol: in future i plan to visit their parked page more and more in the tasting time, who knows they may keep it.

BTW, i register a name thru my tasting account immediately if i find some value in it. Later, i do all the research on it and decide to keep it or not within one or two days.

As a domainer it is always useful to have a pre-funded domain registration account to grab what comes in view instantly and then go on with complete research.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
speaking of registering names...anyone get any namejet typos?

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For fun, when i find some of my potential typos taken by Wan Fu or Belgium etc. i make such names:
ToHellwithBelgiumDomains .com
Wanfukungfu .com
and other random words which i can't write here. Wonder how tasty they might find such names in future i plan to visit their parked page more and more in the tasting time, who knows they may keep it.

BTW, i register a name thru my tasting account immediately if i find some value in it. Later, i do all the research on it and decide to keep it or not within one or two days.

As a domainer it is always useful to have a pre-funded domain registration account to grab what comes in view instantly and then go on with complete research.

I love it:cheers: Excellent advice on how to do this!

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me when I checked the domain availability on godaddy. Luckily the taster dropped the domain and I eventually regged it.

NURCA

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why are folks using Godaddy for searches????????

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who do u recommend to use for searches? I am DONE with Godaddy and actually real upset by this

I wanted the domain but didnt have my credit card handy. I went to reg it the very next day - poof - gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators