Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Ok, the rumor is true and I'm angry

Status
Not open for further replies.

godolphin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good to know that you liked my view Socalboy.

@lordbyroniv: Decide between these two Moniker.com or Dynadot.com, both are good.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who do u recommend to use for searches? I am DONE with Godaddy and actually real upset by this

I wanted the domain but didnt have my credit card handy. I went to reg it the very next day - poof - gone

I have never had this issue checking with whois.sc

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good to know that you liked my view Socalboy.

@lordbyroniv: Decide between these two Moniker.com or Dynadot.com, both are good.

Thanks fellas

I have learned my lesson

It was a great name too :(

Ill check in 5 days, maybe its available again

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who do u recommend to use for searches? I am DONE with Godaddy and actually real upset by this

I wanted the domain but didnt have my credit card handy. I went to reg it the very next day - poof - gone

I've got big problems with domain sniffers, so I feel your pain.

VioxxLawyers

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They were doing this 7 YEARS ago when I worked for Verio.com in south florida...at the end of the day we would all get an email list of "attempted" registrations...to hunt for gold ;)

Grrrrrrr!!!! :upset:

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
focus you seem to have offered the first definitive evidence that i have ever heard that this actually happens. i was always on the fence. but you said you used to subscribe to this, damn. i guess it does happen after all.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am telling you guys - it happens for certain

I know the name was available and its too random that it was regged 12 hours after I first checked availability

Sleepys

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a domain search spied on Godaddy and the domain was tasted over and over again for about 5 weeks before it was finally given back up. I have never had a search stolen off of a Sedo search. If you search on their system it shows if it is for sale on Sedo or if it is available to register in all of the major extensions. I have yet to have one stolen off of their system, although maybe I have not searched enough there. What else do you guys think is a trusted place to check? Whois.sc?

NURCA

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I used Namecheap.com for searches with no problem, although I purchase at Moniker (whats up Moniker?:lol:), but really after a secure search you're welcome to your any registrar. My other gripes with Godaddy is the interface, and pushes are excessively long, and the constant relying on
coupon codes for mediocre discounts.

I had a domain search spied on Godaddy and the domain was tasted over and over again for about 5 weeks before it was finally given back up. I have never had a search stolen off of a Sedo search. If you search on their system it shows if it is for sale on Sedo or if it is available to register in all of the major extensions. I have yet to have one stolen off of their system, although maybe I have not searched enough there. What else do you guys think is a trusted place to check? Whois.sc?

I dont recommend whois.sc for that

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a "fix" for this on my blog. But since I recently got in trouble for "advertising my site" (which I didn't, I was posting relevant information), I am reluctant to link to the post that will help you guys out. But, it's in my sig. Do a search for " The Truth About Whois Search and Domain Inquiry Spying" when you get there. Or just pull up google and search for " The Truth About Whois Search and Domain Inquiry Spying". It's 1st on the results.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
focus you seem to have offered the first definitive evidence that i have ever heard that this actually happens. i was always on the fence. but you said you used to subscribe to this, damn. i guess it does happen after all.

Well it is a BIG domain and webhosting company, and way back in the day alot of people had domains at verio.com as they were just $19 with all the bells and whistles like forwarding and dns access when netsol was $35 or whatever at the time...I sold domains, hosting, & web design/seo work so I got all the important emails and stuff like everyone else in my dept...as a reward for our hard work and sales we would get the "cheese list" at the end of the day...I did'nt pay much attention to it at the time but some did and registered lots of domains that had been added to shopping carts but never purchased..we also used the list to contact companies or people who's transaction/reg failed for whatever reasons and called them up to help out with the process and sell them add-ons, etc. It is happening without a doubt and has been for a very long time...in the past you could not just "taste" domains so names that got picked off were very few and far between..but now with virtually no risk and all the possible reward they pick up almost everything you check that looks half decent..this is no secret and most of us already know this to be a fact of domain searching..

NURCA

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a "fix" for this on my blog. But since I recently got in trouble for "advertising my site" (which I didn't, I was posting relevant information), I am reluctant to link to the post that will help you guys out. But, it's in my sig. Do a search for " The Truth About Whois Search and Domain Inquiry Spying" when you get there. Or just pull up google and search for " The Truth About Whois Search and Domain Inquiry Spying". It's 1st on the results.

I checked this out on your blog and it works. Thanks Tia!:lol:
Whois queries are indeed monitored. I know Domain Doorman does this as well a host of asian sounding registrars. Alot of my searches were snapped up the "Publishers Guide sp? as well.

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well if its true then i wouldn't say that namecheap is safe. i've had at least a few names regged' within 6 - 36 hours after searching them by belgium domains. when looking at the whois creation date I thought it was just coincidence that they were all at the belgium domains registrar, not realizing that belgium domain is a domain co/registrar as one.

but then again, there have been many imo 'good' names that i did not reg right away but were not usurped. I would think the process should be automated scripts to do this, can't see anyone wading through searches manually in this day and age. so why would the scripts pick up only some of the good keyword names and not others? just thinking aloud here.

NURCA

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So did the taster drop the name???

DNcom

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.....maybe this is not rumor, I also have faced this problem..... ugly GD.........:(

NURCA

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Guess he got his name back and lives happily ever after!

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep, the taster dropped the name and I am wiser for the experience

Thanks fellas

riley

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me for the first time a couple of days ago. (that I am aware of) I had multiple domains in the cart and my payment was accepted. I received an e-mail shortly after that the domain had already been registered by -- you guessed it BELGIUMDOMAINS, LLC

I have maybe a stupid question regarding the term "tasting". These companies are paying for a one year registration or just have a way of holding it to test traffic without any payment??
Thanks!
Riley

I have never had this issue checking with whois.sc

I think whois.sc is now domaintools.com

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have maybe a stupid question regarding the term "tasting". These companies are paying for a one year registration or just have a way of holding it to test traffic without any payment??

There taking advantage of a loophole where you get a 5 day grace period to test the domain for traffic. If they don't want the name it gets refunded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators