Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Overture Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since I have been told that three and four word extensions, don't normally hold much value. If I use overture results to base buying a domain name, and a return comes back with:

For Example:
its a boy 456,986

Would ItsABoy.com not be a good investment?

Would it rank low in search results, or have high ranking for those 456,986 searchers?

Is this an exception to the three or more word extensions not having value?

Domain Summit 2024
M

mole

Let common sense drive your decision.

For great keywords, try wordtracker.com, or, experiment with Google Adwords if you are willing to invest into learning.

Overture is a man-made joke.:razz:

M

mole

I do not want to be sued for libel, real. But enough to say, watch the industry news carefully.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hellstrom, its a boy was a hypothetical example, I didn't actually look it up, but used it to basically get my point accross as maybe a commonly searched upon 3 string combination.

hellstrom

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domainut
hellstrom, its a boy was a hypothetical example, I didn't actually look it up, but used it to basically get my point accross as maybe a commonly searched upon 3 string combination.
Ok,
I thought the figure you posted was the number of pages containing the phrase...
:cool:

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Overture (and google) returns are completely irrelevent apart from these two scenarios:

1) The results are based upon an actual domain name - itsaboy.com gets 100 searches vs its a boy gets 100,000.

the only real info above is the returns on itsaboy.com - the other is not relevent at any time to anybody.

2) BUT! If you are trying to sell a name to an end user and you feel it is appropriate to quote the aformentioned terms results than..well...ok! (thanks for the sale tool stoc)

overture and google results get bandied about here like it is real but until somebody steps up and shows otherwise, it is all false attempts to build search value in a name when that value doesnt exist.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Larry.

So my question would be, What key elements should I base my name purchases on for resale.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Let common sense drive your decision.

For great keywords, try wordtracker.com, or, experiment with Google Adwords if you are willing to invest into learning.

Overture is a man-made joke.:razz:

I will take overture results WAY ahead of word tracker which uses dogpile for it's results !

Overture gives a MUCH wider range of results..the problem is most dont know how to interpert the results...

Google adwords can be useful but then again they dont show as many compartive information..

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Larry
Overture (and google) returns are completely irrelevent apart from these two scenarios:

1) The results are based upon an actual domain name - itsaboy.com gets 100 searches vs its a boy gets 100,000.

the only real info above is the returns on itsaboy.com - the other is not relevent at any time to anybody.

Itsaboy.com with 100 results on overture shows you have 100 morons that dont know how to use a search engine...EVEN if that number where true and is was going in the URL address bar, it's ONLY a hundred "type-ins a month.. big deal...

The number without the extension is much more important ..MOST of the TIME..unless you are talking about very high results with the extension..

"its a boy" REPRESENTS roughly 100,000 searches for that EXACT phrase "it's a boy"...that 100,000 searches represents a MARKET.. a very big market in fact..

To say it is not relevant is simply wrong and misleading. :razz:

centerpoint

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree using Overture results seems to be confusing.

While I can see some of what Larry is saying above, Why would
the results for "its a boy" be irrelevant? Most people searching a phrase would not search "itsaboy" or "itsaboy.com"

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So my question would be, What key elements should I base my name purchases on for resale.

..opinions vary and there is no correct answer.

If resell is your goal I believe it is best to find a niche - yahoo names. link pop names. type ins . a particular tld . a particular field (law, plumbing..whatever) . high end . etc.

But opinions vary. I like names that have development potential because I develop ...but gregr seems to prefer higher profile names.... Not my bag (or my wallet ;) ) ....and popper likes .org's ...and stoc likes.....well ....you get the picture.

This is a fabulous board to get feedback from members who have different goals and have far more experience than I.

Good Luck!

(so, what is your ultimate goal?)

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Itsaboy.com with 100 results on overture shows you have 100 morons that dont know how to use a search engine

good god dan...let me welcome you to the web.

The number without the extension is much more important .

Patently false and THE big lie (nothing personal big guy ;) )

"its a boy" REPRESENTS roughly 100,000 searches for that EXACT phrase "it's a boy"

but that has NOTHING to do with actual search requests and returns for the domain name itsaboy.com . If you think it does you are mis-representing the value of each of your "appraisals" in that section of the forum.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But my original question still stands.

with 100 searches a month for itsaboy.com and with 100,000 for its a boy.

Giving each website the same content, metatags, etc...

My best bet to get these 100,000 returns for my website having the best search results, would be to go with:

A) itsaboy.com

B) boy.com

C) AB.com

I hope that I am making since, I am just trying to figure out what returns the best results. So that I may, see a relevant reason to base my purchases on. It seems that the opinions vary, So i am just looking for the reasoning behind each persons view.

:eek:

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Why would the results for "its a boy" be irrelevant? Most people searching a phrase would not search "itsaboy" or "itsaboy.com"

Exactly! "its a boy" represents a word phrase..not a domain name. If you correctly targeted your pages for the phrase "its a boy" in any given engine you would ALWAYS come out ahead of ANY perosn that registered the name itsaboy.com who was hoping the domain name alone would get them to the top.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
domainut - you are asking an entirely different question now - a website versus a resellable domain name.

please clarify your question and intent - a website or a resellable domain.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That was what I was looking for Larry. The domain name having to do with the placement in a search engine.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a website versus a resellable domain name?

Wouldn't the purchaser of the domain name be looking for the best result giving domain name, for his/her potential website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators