Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Overture Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
but you just asked..

Giving each website the same content, metatags, etc...

and these are seperate issues.

you can take the domain name

mybigfist.com and build a site that targets the phrase "i suck at golf" and have it come up in some engines in top positions under the phrase "i suck at golf".

what does that have to do with the domain name?

nothing.

Domain Summit 2024

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
these issues are not related apart from:

a) the end user that wants an identity (domain name) associated with their trade

b) MAYBE hyphenated names that are keyword rich.....MAYBE. there are MANY varying opinions about this but if i were to start a website and had the option of regging both

freeseafood.com

and

free-seafood.com

i would reg both...just in case ;)

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My intent was always to find out how relevant a domain name is with search engine placement. I know that I posed different questions. I was just trying to get a view on which plays a more important role, in different scenarios. i.e. exact domain name as high search results vs website with keywords for those results etc...

Just Trying to figure out which is the better road to take.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
My opinion to your core question

"how relevant a domain name is with search engine placement"

- Not very unless it is a one word domain name and the same one word search term.

Apart from that it is an issue of your belief in hyphens and the websites ability to target key phrases.

hope this was of some value..if not..well... i tried ;)

good luck

centerpoint

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Larry Thanks, that is exactly what I thought.

To me using search terms hold no meaning other than for development purposes, but seems to used alot by people when they value their names.

I have been trying to figure out the reason some people feel
domains that contain search terms or are natural type ins hold more value over a name that is catchy, flows and can be easily developed for a specific market.

Especially given the fact the SE's place little revelance on the actual domain name compared to the actual domain content, keywords, etc.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domainut
That was what I was looking for Larry. The domain name having to do with the placement in a search engine.

YES..having your domain name represent your website content helps..with Directorys AND with Google ...

Think of it like this..

Itsaboy.com the website... and the person has relevent baby boy content..

Mywebte33.com .. lets say it is also about baby boy stuff and it's content is basically equal to "itsaboy.com"

Then all things considered "itsaboy.com" will rank ahead of mywebte33.com

I know this from being a DMOZ editor at one time and also fronm everyday experiance at using google.

This is far from exact.. but think of it as a point system for Google...Google will give you a few points if your domain is relevant to your content, they give a certain amount of points for inbound links..they give you even more points the higher the PR sites that point to you.. they give you a few points for the sites that you link to etc.. and even more points if they are quality sites...they deduct points if you have joined a link farm..the give points for freash content etc.. so you see ..it's a mater of doing ALL the things ..combining all the parts that will enhance your ranking...

So when those 100,000 searches for "its a boy" keyword phrase ...if you have that little extra..(domain relevance) you rank higher than the next guy..

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by centerpoint
Larry Thanks, that is exactly what I thought.

To me using search terms hold no meaning other than for development purposes, but seems to used alot by people when they value their names.

I have been trying to figure out the reason some people feel
domains that contain search terms or are natural type ins hold more value over a name that is catchy, flows and can be easily developed for a specific market.

Especially given the fact the SE's place little revelance on the actual domain name compared to the actual domain content, keywords, etc.

But they DO give relevance.. do NOT underestimate the power of having a domain that IS relevant to your content.

centerpoint

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't agree that based on the name "itsaboy" would rank higher than "Mywebte33"

If "Mywebte33" has better keyword density, content and links it will rank higher than "itsaboy"

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
bid -

if you believe that google can decipher run-on words like

youdontknowwhatthehellyouaretalkingabout.com

then you should spend a little time deciphering this code for yourself. :D

you and i have traded pm's about this issue before...

i have sites that rank in the top 5 of google for unrelated search terms. they fly in the face of everything that google experts say is important AND the few sites above me are equally unrelated in search term while other sites that have relevent terms in their domain name are ranked lower....PERIOD

my sites have maintained these positions for a significant amount of time.

i believe from my experience that domain name is not relevelent apart from the issues I have pointed out above based on my 7 years of experience ( and i'm a current dmoz editor ;) )

no harm..no foul...opinions vary

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Larry
bid -

if you believe that google can decipher run-on words like

youdontknowwhatthehellyouaretalkingabout.com

then you should spend a little time deciphering this code for yourself. :D

you and i have traded pm's about this issue before...

i have sites that rank in the top 5 of google for unrelated search terms. they fly in the face of everything that google experts say is important AND the few sites above me are equally unrelated in search term while other sites that have relevent terms in their domain name are ranked lower....PERIOD

my sites have maintained these positions for a significant amount of time.

i believe from my experience that domain name is not relevelent apart from the issues I have pointed out above based on my 7 years of experience ( and i'm a current dmoz editor ;) )

no harm..no foul...opinions vary

I happen to KNOW that the se's algos CAN indeed decipher run on words..just isnt that difficult for them anymore thats why hyphenated domains are becoming less and less important..

As far as DMOZ..it is the most corrupt entity on the internt :D

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner

I happen to KNOW that the se's algos CAN indeed decipher run on words..just isnt that difficult for them anymore thats why hyphenated domains are becoming less and less important..

As far as DMOZ..it is the most corrupt entity on the internt :D

BTW..you never email the names of those sites after I should WHY they rank !

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PM sent Larry

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't agree that based on the name "itsaboy" would rank higher than "Mywebte33"

If "Mywebte33" has better keyword density, content and links it will rank higher than "itsaboy"

Dont go twisting my words.. I TOLD you that already.. IF all things EQUAL.. itsaboy.com WILL rank higher..

Like I said domains are only ONE part of the puzzle.. but dont UNDERESTIMATE it's importance.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hehe... i told you. i know why they rank.

i know you dont mind if i dont send you a link to sites that rank well and make money for me.

( i c that you were able to decipher my url above ... i had more faith in your abilities than i do some search engines :D )

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Larry
hehe... i told you. i know why they rank.

i know you dont mind if i dont send you a link to sites that rank well and make money for me.

( i c that you were able to decipher my url above ... i had more faith in your abilities than i do some search engines :D )

Hey Larry dont you agree DMOZ is crooked, that the main objective of most editors is to list their own sites , those of their friends and those that pay them :laugh: :razz:

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hhhmmmm ...i must be editing the "free" section. I wish someone would offer me some payola (not that i would take it mind you)

but yes i agree, it has some issues that need to be resolved.

maybe paying editors is the answer... i think it is anyway ;)

centerpoint

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Hey Larry dont you agree DMOZ is crooked, that the main objective of most editors is to list their own sites , those of their friends and those that pay them :laugh: :razz:

I will agree with that

Dont go twisting my words.. I TOLD you that already.. IF all things EQUAL.. itsaboy.com WILL rank higher..

Not trying to twist anyones words, just trying to make some sense of the whole issue

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PM sent Larry

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I will agree with that

Not trying to twist anyones words, just trying to make some sense of the whole issue

Here you go point.. let me show you ..thats easier than telling you..

I once owned Baseball Posters.com and BaseballPoster.com

Lets go to http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

type iin the search phrase "baseball posters" ..

you see there were only 984 searchs.. not many..that will rise to about 9000 or so as we get into the baseball season.

Now I use to have these sites ranked very high all over..80% of the traffic from Google..well google has droped them way back because they are not being "worked" the content is not fresh and links have been dropped.. so for Googles algo the domain itself is not stronmg enough by itself to maintain position.. BUT ..I use to have these ranked in the top 5 out of 500,000 web pages, without a whole lot of work.

Now lets go over to MSN..

type in "Baseball Posters" go past the sponsored links and the web directory listings and you see they are still ranked 2nd and 3rd out of 154,000 web pages..

Why ? because the DOMAINS are an EXACT match !

They are relevant the names DO matter..

they dont get much traffic probably 10 visitors a day because msn isnt used nearly as much as google, and because their are less than a 100 searchs a month.. BUT..if these were worked back up in google ..you would get 50 visitors a day... and (because I once owned them) you would make about 1 sale(poster sale) for every 4060 visitors..

BTW..I think Larry has a few of these for sale now..

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
geez....i thought (hoped) we were done with this issue:

well google has dropped them way back because they are not being "worked" the content is not fresh and links have been dropped

Survey says: WRONG!

Bid - one of the aforementioned sites that does very well in google has:

NO inbounds

NO fresh content

apart from adding one (poor performing) affiliate link in the last 90 days, the site has had NO activity on my part what-so-ever.

I GUARANTEE you that the domains you mentioned would achieve the same results if i had the time to develop them - it has proven to be true time after time.

dont push me to prove it!!

:upset: :upset: :upset:

hehe :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators