Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Paying to contribute

Status
Not open for further replies.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The move to paid subscriptions is ridiculous. Just my 2 cents but you are going to lose a lot of valuable input from many. It's been talked about already that some of the lawyers are taking a hike. That says something right there. Giving a free ride to them also says to the rest of this community that their posts are more valuable then our posts. THANKS ! I think it's valuable but I've learned from others here too and it's been much better info. So by letting lawyers post for free you make a buck off of their information by charging for membership to me. NO WAY! COME ON . . . I know you have bills to pay but you aren't solving the problem this way. Even if you were kind enough to cut those lawyers in on the action it's ridiculous. It again says "hey general poster, your posts are meaningless and provide no valuable information to the community" . . . "only our lawyer friends can provide truly valuable information".

Let me ask you this: If you had a valuable piece of information or could share with someone seeking this info, why would you want to pay to do that?? That's crazy. Paying to share. uh huh. right.

A community was built here by members and now you are turning on the community!! watch what happens

Domain Summit 2024

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great post Adam!! I "paid up" as I use the sales thread now and then but in general, all your points are right on the money.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What he said.

If you want to recover the cost of the live auction software, charge a %age per name auctioned, or a fixed fee per name, and/or licence the technology to GreatDomains or the new Afternic.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont understand all this ranting? it's $49 for pete's sake...

If I was Greg I would charge a membership fee AND tak a cut of all the sales..

I would allow monthly billing though...

He is following Keith R's profitable lead (ran Art Bells website)

you cant view their either unless you pay up...

Personally I think he should just join Keiths network..you get access to ALL the different boards

You ought to give him a ring Greg.. would be an excellent set-up for everyone.. $3.95 a month..peanuts for all the info and access..
I suspect his traffic is huge .. at least call maybe you can give you some pointers..what works and what dosent.. is it really profitabvle for him ..(I bet he's doing exceptionally well)..and are the fee;'s that big of an issue for creating traffic, is everyone comfratable with the fee's ..drop out rates etc..

worth a call..

As far as giving compas to the lawyers..big deal.. I dont walk into vegas and complain because some old fart gets free shows, free rooms free damn near anything because they are either well known or big spenders..

I dont know..to each his own.. but I dont have a problem paying for good resources..

And I am certainlky not going to begrudge a webmaster for actually trying to profit from his toil...

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the odds are pretty good that Greg will reconsider this whole idea of "paid membership" and refund those that already paid...just a hunch I have. Even so, the forum may not fully recover from this. Time will tell.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That said..I mght lean more on the rant side if after paying memebership fees ..DNforum turmns insanely profitable..Greg then claims he is considering denouncing his country so he can protect hirs "loot"..yeah...that might tick me off a bit..

My apologizeies Strong..for my rant at you the other day.. just seeing someone even consideringh denouncing his US citizenship got my blood boiling..especially for hiding money ...I really dont want to go into..just apologizing to you

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Getting well renowned lawyers to give you advice on your domains names is a perk. They take time out of their day to come here, dnforum, to kindly help you. They do not come here to sell domains, or auction names, like the rest of the membership.

Next time you have a pending UDRP case, you will be glad that legal help is a click away.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by greggish
I think the odds are pretty good that Greg will reconsider this whole idea of "paid membership" and refund those that already paid...

I certainly hope so. While I understand the need to generate revenue, I think it should come strictly off the backs of those who actually sell domains here. The (majority?) ones of us who are here for fun and casual trading will never stand for the concept of paid access. It's just not the way things work. I would, however, not have any trouble with the concept of paying a buck or two every time I wanted to sell something.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bidawinner apology accepted.
However you are missing the point again. WE all built this place ... WITH GREGR. . . Yeah it's on his servers, he paid for the bandwidth, software, etc and he contributes good stuff too, etc. BUT without the members where would the place be. I think our pay is in contributing by posting. No one would come here if there were no posts . It's truly a vicisous circle but I think by making a message board a PAID resource you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Art Bell? The guy is MUCH different then this place. MUCH ... totally seperate type of revenue stream and customer base. Those people want to hear about weird stuff that you cant get anywhere else and Art holds the keys to accessing this stuff. He's also a journalist providing his take and insight which people BUY. What is gregr selling here? our posts? ability to sell domains? I dont' see the connection at all.

I agree with frontrowmktg . auctions provide a source for revenue, the for sale board does too. Add a "contribute button" even.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All sales at the live auction should have a percentage fee that goes to offset expenses here. Having fees to access and post here could in turn backfire. The fee at AN did not keep the assholes away - so that is not a valid argument unless you talk about those that create 50 identities.

Just my personal opinion - which I believe is still "free" to post...LOL

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since when did this happen? Can someone point me at more info plz.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh.....yeah, I just seen it...don't agree at all.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying but here his the problem..

Thats right we helped create this value..absolutely... and what is our payment?

ACCESS to EACH other.. access to literally some of the top domainers inthe world..buyers, sellers,legal advise etc....
Access to revenues from domain sales that would have been more difficult to get without DNforum, and an ongoing eduction in the world of domains.

Those are our rewards.. I simply feel it may be time to actually pay the HOST for this access, to sales, to education to legal direction.. $4 a month ..
Listen I love free as much as the next guy.. but I also beleive in supporting those that are helping to support us..

I think the DNforum should expand that a bit..when I was selling Posters .. I'd lie to think that when your kids wanted that new spiderman poster you would buy it from one of my Poster sites...

DN members building a commnity that supports each other.. I dont know how many times I have bought ,forms, logos' designs etc from people on the forum...Even though they havent been expensive projects I know they were welcomed business ..and I am glad I could offer the work to someone in "our" community..

If you see someone here that has a great service or product line and you want to build something similiar.. sign up under that person as an affiliate instead of signing up elswhere.. it makes this community stronger and more people will want in.

Whats Gregs product/servcie? this board.. If my $4 a month helps his financial goal for the site I'm all for supporting him..as long as he keeps adding products like the auction etc..

As long as the community memebers support my projects and I support theirs..as long as that attitude grows..grows in here..then I'll certainly ante up my $4 ..

But I do think it should be a monthly ...quarterly at least..option.

anyways..thats how I fell.. now I am open to alternatives..if everyone wants to set it to so greg gets a bit of auction sales or something..thats fine by me.. but I think a small membership fee may bring the forum closer ..as far as business relationships and appreciaton for this community ...AND maybe we get a bit more voice in which directions for the board to flow..?!

Originally posted by strongvis
Bidawinner apology accepted.
However you are missing the point again. WE all built this place ... WITH GREGR. . . Yeah it's on his servers, he paid for the bandwidth, software, etc and he contributes good stuff too, etc. BUT without the members where would the place be. I think our pay is in contributing by posting. No one would come here if there were no posts . It's truly a vicisous circle but I think by making a message board a PAID resource you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Art Bell? The guy is MUCH different then this place. MUCH ... totally seperate type of revenue stream and customer base. Those people want to hear about weird stuff that you cant get anywhere else and Art holds the keys to accessing this stuff. He's also a journalist providing his take and insight which people BUY. What is gregr selling here? our posts? ability to sell domains? I dont' see the connection at all.

I agree with frontrowmktg . auctions provide a source for revenue, the for sale board does too. Add a "contribute button" even.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its the principles not the $4. pure and simple.
I dont want to hear about how gregrspends all his time and money making this board. Each person that belongs here (hopefully) spent his or her time to contribute to this board as well. Did gregr get nothing for his time and money spent on this board thus far? I'd venture to guess he's already benefited greatly from owning the board and being an active member as well.
It's my feelings that a successful community isn't based upon PAYING to belong and PAYING to contribute . The free flow and sharing thoughts and ideas is something that shouldn't be capitalized on in this manner. Gregs product or service that should be SOLD are the auctions, the domains for sale board. These are services that should be paid for. The board in general where ideas flow and people help each other is not the place which should be charged a fee. IF the board in general and as a whole is the product or service Gregr provides where would this board be without you and I and the rest of the dnf members who built it to what it is today? . Just my 2cents but I think there needs to be a distinction between what is a service that is being provide BY gregr and what is a service that WE provide.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats the same arguement I use for Yahoo/Google/Altavista/ etc....all us webmaster built these SE's..it's our material..how dare they want me to pay for traffic through PPC, adwords , sponsor ships etc.. :D

I see your point strong..I just beg to differ and will leave it at that...

Originally posted by strongvis
Its the principles not the $4. pure and simple.
I dont want to hear about how gregrspends all his time and money making this board. Each person that belongs here (hopefully) spent his or her time to contribute to this board as well. Did gregr get nothing for his time and money spent on this board thus far? I'd venture to guess he's already benefited greatly from owning the board and being an active member as well.
It's my feelings that a successful community isn't based upon PAYING to belong and PAYING to contribute . The free flow and sharing thoughts and ideas is something that shouldn't be capitalized on in this manner. Gregs product or service that should be SOLD are the auctions, the domains for sale board. These are services that should be paid for. The board in general where ideas flow and people help each other is not the place which should be charged a fee. IF the board in general and as a whole is the product or service Gregr provides where would this board be without you and I and the rest of the dnf members who built it to what it is today? . Just my 2cents but I think there needs to be a distinction between what is a service that is being provide BY gregr and what is a service that WE provide.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greg, I didnt get you're last paypal payment..please deposit or I swtich sides :D :laugh: just joking... listen..I'm about as cheap as they come..I just dont have aproblem with it..

Do we have a list of "alternatives"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom