Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Paying to contribute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, strongvis, I hear ya, man. I think you've run into one of those funny situations where those who aren't addressing your points (but sound as if they are addressing the "issue" with the same responses) aren't able to squint their way through to your logic. They've probably got a billion other things on their mind. I get that way too, and I recieve that type of response from time to time as well.

Also, they may simply be overlooking the statement: "I don't feel like addressing your individual points, as I think they are effectively irrelevant, and here's why--"

There is a strong over-arcing, and more relevant point in this discussion... WHO'S FORUM IS THIS? Our forum? Greg's forum? Who?

Someone has actually *paid* money to *own* this forum. After a transaction like this, the very nature of the forum was irreversibly changed. No longer was it just "a forum someone put up and let people post to", it truly became "a property". Bear with me.

Once upon a time, a nice guy named Dan began building a house, and invited everyone to come and share information, do business, converse, and ultimately help in building this house. The community thrived. One day Dan decided to sell his house. The final buyer was a man named Greg. Greg saw the house as a valuable resource, and felt he could be a very good steward of such a property.

Once Greg purchased the house, like it or no, it was his decision what to make of it. His vision may not match Dan's vision. In fact, I believe his vision is more than a bit different --more business-minded, and with an eye towards where he's sees the evolution moving.

Right or wrong, it's his perogative. He may be a little terse and sardonic in his reponses, but again... his perogative.

I've been watching some of the subtext between the lines, and I think I noticed something that is probably at the root of many of the disagreements.

Even on FREE message forums, people can foster a sense of *entitlement* when it comes to the contribution of their points of view and resources. To his credit, Greg has made it very clear that anyone who wants their messages OFF the forum can have that request honored. Outside of that I'm sure his purchase of the forum, regardless of what history anyone may think they have, gives him an entitlement that supersedes everyone else's. Dan's did as well, but Greg is far less beholden to those who've contributed under Dan's auspices. Many times I've heard statements like: "I've been here longer than Greg" or "I've made lots of valuable contributions..." The relevance of these assertions are all up to Greg, and not whether anyone else agrees with the speaker.

Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with a PAY or FREE forum, I definitely think taking any sense of *entitlement* out of the equation would probably put you, Greg, and the moderators into the same conversation.

A lot of this actually occured to me when NamePopper said:
I will also add that these few guys who claim it's the 'principle' are hypocrites. Where are their 'principles' when thousands of names are sold here - without us charging any commission or transaction fees. It's not just a forum.

I thought to myself... "Whoa, I completely disagree!" As I continued to look at it, I realized a complete philosophical difference of opinion. I generaly thought of this forum as "An open virtual community whose foundation is its membership, but is nurtured and guided by its leaders for the betterment of the community." I'm not sure what NamePopper thinks, but I'm guessing it is: this forum is "A virtual environment whose foundation is its leadership, whose assets are its membership & content, and whose direction is dictated by its leadership towards opportunities for greater growth and value."

In my distinction, I think your opinion has weight and any amount of agreement has some importance. In the second distinction, yours is just feedback or perhaps "whining" that may or may not affect anything regarding key strategic imperitives. It is up to the leadership to make that decision as they see fit. If they conduct a poll, it is because they elected to conduct a poll to clarify the needs of the environment, not because they were "forced" to, or "needed" to because the community *said so*. I think the act addressed problems in the environment (technical and statistical) and not necessarily disatisfaction in the community (emotional). I think presidents are often put into that kind of position.

NamePopper's statement above then rings very true, even though I disagree with it. Why? Because Greg says so. Who's Greg? He owns this forum and dictates its direction towards opportunities for growth and value. You may be a valuable asset, but your entitlements are just what has been decided that they are and nothing more.

Other forums have been started due to disagreement with this basic philosophy, but that's the long and short of it I think.

Do you think you are an asset or part of a foundation? Neither is particularly negative, its just how it is.

~ Nexus

Domain Summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Domain Name Forum"
A Place To Talk Domains!

This is the Title message on the website, yet many say "This is more than a forum".

What else is it.....

However, it is a forum unlike others

But until the name changes, it will still be just a forum.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by biggedon
"Domain Name Forum"
A Place To Talk Domains!

This is the Title message on the website, yet many say "This is more than a forum".

What else is it.....

However, it is a forum unlike others

But until the name changes, it will still be just a forum.

Biggedon, you've been a member long enough to appreciate how dnforum is more than a forum. Didn't I see you at the live auction last night? :confused:

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Eh. It's more than a forum, its a forum... its arbitrary and pretty much just semantics. The website is *primarily* a forum. That probably works. Goes back to what I was saying... you can contest what has been said "is so" all you like... but...

--------
And So It Goes (a/k/a Wobbling Surfer)
--------
Well I've been around this world and I'll tell you some things
There ain't no free lunches, you gotta watch for the strings
You stand up for your rights and then you try to hold your ground
But only Lady Luck determines if you're up or you're down
--
It's a big card shuffle, you gave what you could get
You get your joy, you get to have your blows,
And where she stops, nobody knows
And so it goes... and so it goes...
--------

~ Nexus

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Attract buyers to the site via the free community.

Charge people to sell their domains.

I am a buyer, not a seller, and you are risking chasing me (and other buyers) away by charging us to read the forum.

There are a number of buyers who are not happy with this decision. Why would you want to chase buyers away?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainGoon
Why would you want to chase buyers away?

I don't mind chasing away a buyer that thinks $15/year is too much money.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains

Biggedon, you've been a member long enough to appreciate how dnforum is more than a forum. Didn't I see you at the live auction last night? :confused:

I did state that "it is a forum unlike others". I was trying to give a
compliment to DNF.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
Is this horse dead yet ?

I think so, but it looks like they're not taking any chances! :D

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Silver Membership scrapped - Official!www.mrwebname.com

Umm .. is there a " Tin " membership .. huh ...

:)

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gregr .. i cant access the chat room ..

how much does that cost ? .. is there any discount for non buyers or sellers .. ? .. just chat room access only .. huh ..

:(

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AMERICAR

how much does that cost ? .. is there any discount for non buyers or sellers .. ? .. just chat room access only .. huh ..

I'm handling Chat Room sales Americar. I will PM you with my PayPal information. Please send $100 at your earliest convenience. Thank You. :D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Umm .. is there a " Tin " membership [/B]

Yes, there is a tin membership, but we spell it "ten". Please add $10 to my payment and I'll fix you up with that too.

P.S.S. Just so newbies don't freak out - I'm kidding. :)

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GEE .. Thx.net .. Duke ..

My social life is in tatters .. banned .. from the chat ..:(

I would of thought that founding members would have got some kind of discount .. i guess that all of my refferals to this place were a wasted effort .. as i'm only credited with 2 now .. i had a neon sign plasted all over my profile at Afternic. about this place.

It seems that a lot of the old members have faded away .. or been pushed away .. i dunno .. sigh ..

greg

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

I forgot to mention another reason to have paid memberships.
To lose domain name groupies. :)

Americar the chat room has been fixed. You should be able to get in now.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:) :) thanks .. fearless leader .. :)

I knew you would come to the rescue ...

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:) :) thanks .. fearless leader .. :)

I knew you would come to the rescue ...

Glad everything got squared away for you Car (with that cool avatar we MUST have you on board). But does this mean you will not be sending me the $110. :sad:

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey is that .. GREGR .. or .. GREG .. huh ..

Is there a difference ???

whats this 2 greg's or somthing !!!

Confused ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom