Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Raven.com - stolen name - was sold on Sedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Focus, Sedo do whatever they want when ever they want (at the moment).

If you still have the notification that you are the winner of the auction then demand the transfer of the domain. Sedo of course will say they have no ability to make the owner transfer it but if the domain holder is in the States surely a court order can be obtained. Demand from Sedo all details of the seller on their records, if they refuse I wonder if a writ of habeus corpus would make them change their minds (remember to use the US address for Sedo. Sedo having an office in the US could prove to be the most damaging thing Sedo ever did because US laws apply to the company - including the parent company)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, in theory that does all sound magnificent...but remember we are talking about a typo of a major US bank/mortgage website that gets x,xxx hits a month..I can only imagine how well that would go over in court! lol

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh dude I feel ya man..if it was a generic and not a major tm typo I would raise all hell..

rajeevabc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
going through this and the other 'dirty' thread, I feel it is high time to have a check on all the parking cos and dn agents. Somewhere on this forum, all these cos can be rated not only for their performances, but also for their business ethics. we need to remember that these players are few of the largest realtors on the internet, and their wrongdoings can affect the internet realestate.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Indeed, this is like throwing crumbs to a person that has little knowledge of the market in order to take the domain under the veil of an ongoing theft.

Yep.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Even if the legitimate owner signed an agreement, could it be nullified by a civil court due to the circumstances of distress that the agreement was signed under? It's apparent that the legitimate owner has had little legal or technical advice on the asset's worth.

The buyer appears to have rushed to "buy her silence" once he became aware of the domain theft. Provided of course that he wasn't aware of the theft to begin with. He seems rushed to sell as well.

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very true, he does seem to be rushing the sale, like he is scared of losing it if he holds on to it.

If I ended up owning the name and I felt I did it legally, I would not rsuh to sell it, rather hold on to it for at least a few months, to see if traffic revenue was good.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]"I am not an expert in buying or selling domain. There was no way for me to know that this was stolen"

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]That contradicts him putting it for sale on eBay for $1,000,000[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][/FONT]

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What comes around goes around ....that person has no shame....if it was me, i would have glady gave it back to the owner ...if i knew the situation...sad shiiet

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if the legitimate owner signed an agreement, could it be nullified by a civil court due to the circumstances of distress that the agreement was signed under?

Not duress, no... I don't see any indication of that.

Fraudulent inducement, maybe, if the Sedo transaction was essentially to launder the name and if the "buyer" represented himself as having been hoodwinked.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The problem is, the Sedo auction is complete and the money has left their escrow. The thief received $3,500 minus 10% and the buyer, who might or might not be who he says he is, owns a domain after buying off the silence of the legitimate owner for an undisclosed amount.

So now what?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Fraudulent inducement, maybe, if the Sedo transaction was essentially to launder the name and if the "buyer" represented himself as having been hoodwinked.

"Domain laundering" just the words I was looking for, this is just what the hijacker did.

This reminds me of when I had my purse stolen, it was in a shopping cart, I turned my head for a minute and the shopping cart was gone, so why did the thief take the shopping cart? because if she was caught before exiting the store, she can say "OH, I'm sorry, I thought this was my cart"

Thieves are always looking for outs in the event they get caught.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
More and more the situation stinks, as seen in the Domainstate thread that has now reached 9 pages!

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From 1998 - 2007 wayback archives show this...

Frequently Asked Questions
To save everyone time and bandwidth, please check the following for answers to your question(s) before sending us email. Thank you.
I need a driver for the XXXX printer....
My XXXX printer doesn't work....

We are not involved with printers of any kind, or any related support. We don't know where you can get drivers for your printer. We don't know where you can get your printer fixed. We don't even know where you bought your printer. Sorry. :)

Misc questions about games

We are not involved with computer games of any kind, or any related support. Sorry.

Is the RAVEN domain for sale?

No, this domain is not for sale. Sorry. (However, a serious offer for a very, very large amount of money could interest us. :)

Seriously, if we do ever decide to put it up for sale, we will let you all know.

Why don't you get a better web page?

Maybe someday we will. It's not our core business. Stay tuned.

It makes me think that 1. The domain name ment something, atleast to him and 2. if it did mean something to him, would she have sold it, knowing that it obviously had value?

locos

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd never turn down a good beer, especially a Labatt Blue :D

The buyer actually came forth in the Domainstate thread with this statement:

John -- do you know if the sedo buyer actually settled with the real owner? If not, I'm going to step up to the plate and front the UDRP filing fee, if you're kicking in to do the UDRP for free.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John -- do you know if the sedo buyer actually settled with the real owner?

No I don't. I'm waiting to hear back from the tech who had posted in the DS thread.

No I don't. I'm waiting to hear back from the tech who had posted in the DS thread.

The tech contacted me this morning, and stated that she had accepted payment in resolution of the claim.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

The tech contacted me this morning, and stated that she had accepted payment in resolution of the claim.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling the payment/settlement was well under "fair market value."

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What if she were made aware of the real market value of the domain, which is - in my professional opinion - at least $250k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators