Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

suggest members learn what a Geo domain is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suggest the closure all threads posted in the "Geo Domains For Sale" section that are not Geo domains.

too much crap is being posted there, just for the sake of starting more threads.

if a domain is NOT a specific Geographical location, city, county, country, province, region, state, body of water, etc, then is should not be posted in Geo section.

examples of names like "columbia5.tld" "nybooks.tld" "digitaliran.tld"
"hkcab.tld" "miamilaptops.tld" "45thstreet.tld" are NOT Geo domains.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a Purist, I agree with you.

BUT, a look at the recent GEO expo auction and sale does NOT agree with this.

Now, it seems a GEO SPECIFIC name is considered a GEO domain.

Plus, now you open a can of worms by policing what adjective or adverbs are acceptable to accompany a GEO domain

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It should be up to the Forum to decide how specific the Geographical locations are, NOT a Moniker domain auction :rolleyes:

if a domain is NOT a specific Geographical location, city, county, country, province, region, state, body of water, etc, then is should not be posted in Geo section

Agree

I would include "Continent" in the list.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
examples of names like "columbia5.tld" "nybooks.tld" "digitaliran.tld"
"hkcab.tld" "miamilaptops.tld" "45thstreet.tld" are NOT Geo domains.

As the one who just posted 42ndStreet.net for sale (I'm guessing that's what you refer to when you say "45thstreet.tld"), I beg to differ.

NYbooks is not a place. DigitalIran is not a place. MiamiLaptops is not a place. But 42ndStreet clearly is a place.

Please don't sweep everyone with that broad brush.

Donald Aquilano

DON.ME
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How is miamilaptops not a geo domain? Miami is a city in Florida.

ny- abbreviation for New York State/New York City....I see no problem

hk- abbreviation for Hong Kong?......ditto

nicedomains

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey! I agree with Mr. Rightwing for once - WOW :) (except for abbreviations in some cases)

I guess you'll have to define in a rules thread what dnf considers a 'geo'. Is it a domain that contains a geo location + whatever.whatever OR does it have to be an actual geographical location??

I must say, like many here I get tired of seeing post after post being closed or deleted for borderline rule 'bending' if you even can call it that. It hurts the marketplace here to over-mod it. I have missed a couple purchases I wanted to make when sellers were updating their posts once every couple days lowering prices, updating offers, etc. I subscribe to these threads without posting to find out when is a good time to make an offer, then the thread gets closed and the seller goes elsewhere to sell feeling handcuffed because he/she may get warning points if they start another thread...

We are here to buy, sell and talk about domains right? not nit pick over silly things.. IMHO

Last edited:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to say that 42ndStreet is a geo...I would say that neighborhoods are Geo's as well.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Geo Domain 2009 Auction and results.

How many "stand alone" GEO's do you see?

How many are GEO described domains?

Lots Sold
Lot Number Title Reserve Sale Price

1 AmericanGuide.com USD$ 1,500 USD$ 1,500
5 BocaRatonFlorida.com USD$ 9,000 USD$ 9,000
7 CasperJobs.com USD$ 0 USD$ 150
11 eChart.com USD$ 0 USD$ 1,100
12 eGainesville.com USD$ 50 USD$ 50
14 ElCajon.com USD$ 25,000 USD$ 25,000
23 IndiaTube.com USD$ 2,500 USD$ 10,000
34 Money.travel USD$ 0 USD$ 2,000
42 PiratesCove.com USD$ 2,500 USD$ 7,500
43 Ponce.com USD$ 21,000 USD$ 21,000
45 Reserve.com USD$ 0 USD$ 45,644
48 SantaClarita.com USD$ 30,000 USD$ 39,250
56 StCroixVirginIslands.com USD$ 0 USD$ 850
57 TempeArizona.com USD$ 9,000 USD$ 9,000
59 TorranceLoans.com USD$ 50 USD$ 50
61 VacationCalifornia.com USD$ 0 USD$ 300
62 VacationInVegas.com USD$ 0 USD$ 300
65 YorbaLindaCA.com USD$ 0 USD$ 1,000
66 ArubaVacation.com USD$ 3,500 USD$ 3,500
68 BrooklynJobs.com USD$ 8,000 USD$ 8,000
69 CannesBeach.com USD$ 0 USD$ 489
70 CarlsbadCA.com USD$ 3,000 USD$ 3,000
71 Drammen.com USD$ 2,500 USD$ 2,500
73 HiltonHeadResort.com USD$ 0 USD$ 1,100
75 LasVegasFlights.com USD$ 3,000 USD$ 6,000
76 LosAngelesCondo.com USD$ 2,000 USD$ 2,000
77 Lubbock.us USD$ 800 USD$ 800
78 ManhattanDoctors.com USD$ 0 USD$ 1,750
79 MichiganCarInsurance.com USD$ 0 USD$ 750
80 Minneapolis.net USD$ 0 USD$ 6,000
81 NewYorkLoft.com USD$ 0 USD$ 2,250
82 Oakton.com USD$ 7,500 USD$ 7,500
83 Piedras.com USD$ 3,000 USD$ 3,500
84 SierraMadre.com USD$ 15,000 USD$ 15,000
86 StAugustine.org USD$ 0 USD$ 1,750
87 StPaulRealEstate.com USD$ 0 USD$ 1,600
88 Tacoma.info USD$ 0 USD$ 1,300
89 Talladega.org USD$ 3,500 USD$ 3,500
90 TampaBay.info USD$ 0 USD$ 1,750
91 TexasPersonals.com USD$ 7,500 USD$ 7,500
92 Tiel.com USD$ 3,500 USD$ 3,500
93 TopekaKansas.com USD$ 3,000 USD$ 3,000
94 TowerOfLondon.com USD$ 10,000 USD$ 10,000

The ones in red would NOT have been allowed if the names were purged as being descriptive GEO's.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
"Geo" is not an acronym, so it should not be written as "GEO". It's a Greek prefix, indicating origin of or belonging to earth (Gaea) :D There, I added more fuel to the fire :D

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"geo" is not an acronym, so it should not be written as "geo". It's a greek prefix, indicating origin of or belonging to earth (gaea) :d there, i added more fuel to the fire :d
σας ευχαριστούμε.

επιστρέψτε στην εργασία.

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think 42ndStreet would be a geo, too - so could MainStreet, FirstAvenue, etc..

The hard part would be finding out what is a real geo and not (unless we just stick with physical locations, city, state, country, county, continent, planet, etc..).

"Geo" is not an acronym, so it should not be written as "GEO". It's a Greek prefix, indicating origin of or belonging to earth (Gaea) :D There, I added more fuel to the fire :D

OK Gus Portokalos (if you don't know the name - go watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"). :)

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, biggedon. But some [Geo][Keyword].com [Keyword][Geo].com do have value and purpose.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
42ndst, 55thst, firstave, etc...none of them are geo domains

they are not specific to a place, as any city across the globe could have a 42ndst.

sure as Tia points out, they may have purpose and value, but they are not geo domains

domains like "placecarinsurance" would be considered in geo realm because insurance rates vary from region to region.

domains like "placelaptops" are not geo's because you can buy laptops anywhere and the prices for same models are basically the same everywhere.

domains like "egainsville" or igeorgia" are not geo domains.

also, didn't say anything about closing threads, only suggested that members learn what a geo domain is.

though in the future, some of the those type of names mentioned, may be moved or merged into other threads or sections.

the goal is to have a better "quality" of Geographical related domains in this section.

still open for discussion...

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

they are not specific to a place, as any city across the globe could have a 42ndst.

I disagree.

Is Times square a geo according to you? and not Bourbon Street? Or neither?

Additionally there are parts of many cities that are known by their street...and if people are asked where they live, work or go shopping they use the street name as a geographical location...

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

From Wikipedia:

"42nd Street is a major crosstown street in the New York City borough of Manhattan, known for its theaters, especially near the intersection with Broadway at Times Square. It is also the name of the region of the theater district (and, at times, the red-light district) near that intersection."

So it's a specific region of New York - not just a random street name that could occur in any city.

........................................................................................................
From most recent post:
also, didn't say anything about closing threads, only suggested that members learn what a geo domain is.
From original post:
I suggest the closure all threads posted in the "Geo Domains For Sale" section that are not Geo domains.
?

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

"42nd Street is a major crosstown street in the New York City borough of Manhattan, known for its theaters, especially near the intersection with Broadway at Times Square. It is also the name of the region of the theater district (and, at times, the red-light district) near that intersection."

So it's a specific region of New York - not just a random street name that could occur in any city.

there is also a 42ndstreet, a 43rd, and 44th streets, etc. here in chicago and many other cities.

guess i did state "closure of threads" initially so you got me there, but reconsidered that moving or merging would be better

Last edited:

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The idea here is to have a quality names for this section.
Many members just create one thread in each section when they wake up without having a cup of coffee.

We open for suggestions and ideas to make the community better with less junks.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with defining geo domains a bit more clearly, but as we see, there seems to be some legitimate debate about what a geo is. I think 45thstreet qualifies, I would also include common terms used for subdivisions and apartment complexes, like ArborGrove, something oaks, etc. They describe a geographical location, or numerous ones,

I agree with the OP that place-cars, etc. wouldn't fit my definition, but to each his own. I think there are other things I'd like to see changed that are my own pet peeves (as primarily a buyer on this forum):

1. Offer threads - I'd like to see a rule that mandated some minimum offer requirement even if it's stated as "offers from $XX, or $xxx. Offer threads are usually a crutch for those that can't value their names - does fishing for some ridiculously high price really work on a forum like this? Any poster who ridicules or complains about a $5 offer should have the thread closed.

2. Crack down on the $50 names with a BIN price that starts at $5k and gets dropped down by $500 a day or every 12 hours to bump the thread over and over. Then shows up in a group BIN at $39 the next week.

3. I'd like to see the moderators call people out and close threads that contain obvious mis-statements about search term figures, traffic stats, and misleading information. Regular posters are not allowed to comment in sales threads even when there are obvious problems. Letting new people fall for some of these doesn't serve the interest of the board or the industry.

Anyway, fun discussion!

Donald Aquilano

DON.ME
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The idea here is to have a quality names for this section.
Many members just create one thread in each section when they wake up without having a cup of coffee.

We open for suggestions and ideas to make the community better with less junks.

How about this idea leave it alone. We have enough threads being closed for the rules we already have. If someone doesn't like a particular thread because their definition of GEO domains has been violated then they don't have to view it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domains like "egainsville" or igeorgia" are not geo domains.
To maintain that iGeorgia is not geo...does that mean iReporter, eCommerce, eToys are not directly related to news, commmerce, or toys?

We get into some serious issues when we have mods determining what is and what is not worthy.

Absolutely absurd to suggest iGeorgia is not a geo, as well as 42nd street.

I suppose MainStreet would have no place in a geo section?

You mention the same street being in Chicago - I think we even have one here in Winston Salem.

Does that not make it a generic geo?

To even post the title suggest members learn what a Geo domain is already demonstrates a difference of opinions with members.

Does a difference of opinion rule in favor of moderators?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom