Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

suggest members learn what a Geo domain is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suggest the closure all threads posted in the "Geo Domains For Sale" section that are not Geo domains.

too much crap is being posted there, just for the sake of starting more threads.

if a domain is NOT a specific Geographical location, city, county, country, province, region, state, body of water, etc, then is should not be posted in Geo section.

examples of names like "columbia5.tld" "nybooks.tld" "digitaliran.tld"
"hkcab.tld" "miamilaptops.tld" "45thstreet.tld" are NOT Geo domains.

Upvote 0

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
many city names are in more than 1 place so the street argument doesn't work

i and e names can be geo for sure

and blog names like denverblog.com

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If were going to allow names like "MainStreet" in the Geo section, we would have to allow every word known to mankind so long as it's followed by street, avenue, blvd, drive, lane, circle, court, ct... Like I said prior, it should be at the discretion of the forum of how specific they want the section to be.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Let me add some more fuel to the fire :D

Are names of cities once existed, or prior names of such cities geo-domains or not? Does the fact that the name is obsolete alter the historical facts that such a place or city ever existed? What about mythological locations and names of cities? Is Hell.com a geo-domain? How about Atlantis.com?

I think this thread is lost in semantics a bit too much. I agree that some extreme cases have been observed, with regards to people's geo-domain lists but overall we should not disqualify domains over a loose set of rules.

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
too many sections anyway IMHO.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:eek:

Also, lets not forget geo related domains that, obviously from the beginning of this thread, would not be classified as geo domains but are distinctly specific to a specific location

Rt66
RodeoDrive
SunsetStrip
TobaccoRoad
WallSt
LittleItaly
ChinaTown

How many major cities can lay claim to a Little Italy or Chinatown just like MainStreet, 42ndSt etc?

What about Area51? Does it or does it not exist? Or is it just a part of our iconic culture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Hehe, Doc. See, there is no definite answer about what a "geo" domain is. The strict definition would be names of cities/towns etc. landmarks, geographical regions and that's it - no composites.

Otherwise, would NYCstrippers be considered a geo domain? :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
definition would be names of cities/towns etc. landmarks, geographical regions and that's it - no composites.

basically that is what a geo domain is

all others are geo + keyword, and among those who know and accept what a geo is, that is there interpretation also.

where the keyword should be something specific to that geographical location.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Then maybe create a sub-forum for these geo-hybrid domains :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then maybe create a sub-forum for these geo-hybrid domains :D

those would get moved to "Domains for Sale Offers Wanted" or Fixed Price, if they were priced.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My definition of a *true* Geo in this context would be that if it ain't the exact name of a place on a map, on a scale of 1 inch to 100 miles, it's not a true Geo. The rest get buried in semantics and would probably be best consigned to a 'Geo Keywords' forum.

Just my 2c.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My definition of a *true* Geo in this context would be that if it ain't the exact name of a place on a map, on a scale of 1 inch to 100 miles, it's not a true Geo. The rest get buried in semantics and would probably be best consigned to a 'Geo Keywords' forum.

Just my 2c.

Thanks Dale for your imput.

appreciate your reply

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Just my 2c.
Then that would include streets, yes?

DowningStreet
PicadillyCircus
AbbeyRoad

These are noteworthy streets and even landmarks and popular tourists attractions and shopping districts.

At least they are to our culture and society.

Perhaps the best thing to do is not even have a GEO spot. Sure its a popular topic. But we don't separate the generic, prime, sub prime, longtail into different categories.

All are eligible to be placed in any price points as is. Nearly all require a domain in the title as is.

The quality and value of all will be determined by those that view it. This is no different than any sale posted on the forum. It sells on its own merits.

If someone was selling MuddyCreek it may have no significance or interest to those viewing or the moderators making the decision. But is contains great historical significance to the area here in NC where the Moravians first settled. Someone like me, a history buff, would love to have it for a very localized historical site. Or I might donate it to the author/publisher who published a book series called Muddy Creek.

So, why even have a specific Geo thread with rules and stipulations?

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Doc, what about humbler roads then, like DoodieStreet...and would the "HersheyHighway" be a geo domain? :D

TGIF! :D

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc; to me, Downing Street, Picadilly Circus and Abbey Road are definitely not real 'Geo' domains. I think the easiest way to make a rule about these domains is to check whether they appear on Google Geo at a certain scale; maybe as I suggested, 100:1.

They are fascinating place names and localities, but of no strict geographical significance in this context. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom