Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The Best Country For an American To Relocate To

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ecafe beat me to the punch, .. as of 2-3 years ago Costa Rica was listed as one of the top countries for u.s. ex-pats. reasons cited were how far your dollar goes there, climate, people are welcoming/little animosity and super affordable real estate/rent. if i remember correctly you need something like $400/month to live comfortably down there. peanuts.

havnt been there myself tho. just speaking to what i had read.

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lots of these places will be underwater in ten or twenty years and climates will be changing around the globe. You'll want to add the following to your criteria:

• Minimum 700 ft. elevation above sea level
  • Ample reserves of fresh water
  • Stable food supply
  • Self-sufficient supply of energy

There's lots of land becoming available in Greenland and ample reserves of fresh water (some of the purest on earth). And, with the polar ice caps melting, plenty of petroleum.

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Guys! Let's keep this thread on-topic. Don't make me move it into Political / Controversial section. :p That section is not so chic as the Gold Cafe.

FuseFX

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay I gave a hint and you didn't seem to get it. You are making things personal here and that is NOT allowed. I removed all the un-related discussion. If there is ANY political discussion here which makes things personal then warning points will be issued.

We have a separate section to discuss politics / controversial topics. If you really have an itch to talk about it, use that section.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Lord Brar, I agree. Kudos to DNF for having such astute moderators;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At the risk of dignifying Acroplex's post set forth below with a reply, I think such offensive and racist (not to mention anti-Semitic) comments need to be addressed, especially in an international forum such as this.
If I am not mistaken, this is from the hit comedy (certainly a matter of opinion) Borat and are the words to the bogus national anthem sung by the main actor during the national anthem at a rodeo.

In this case, I would have to say kill the message but not the messenger.

Personally, I got the point he was trying to make, albeit dry humor as the movie was, and had no idea there was actually a posting of the words. And, I would bet that the whole movie script is posted somewhere.

So before the accusations start to fly, it would be great to know the source.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There is a reason this city is always ranked first or second on the most desirable place to live/work index. And many of the biggest domainers are already here, you'd fit right in.

I was reading where Vancouver was ranked very high....I've never been to Canada, but I heard it rains quite a bit, I'm sure it varies from different parts of the Country, I remember visiting my in-laws in Portland, Oregon during April, I kid you not, it rained and drizzled EVERY single day 24/7 for almost 3 weeks!, and finally stopped on the day we were leaving, does it get like that in Canada?.

hunnam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You have to broaden your horizons .. Polish restaurants can't be the only place hiring ... :lol:

:lol: Yes but the pay is not as good :lol:

A problem with the UK is the broadband speed, during working hours the speed is very poor and you only get the full speed before 08:00 and after 22:00.

Also the Government are trying to crack down on people making money through the internet and not paying tax, eBayers have to pay tax if they sell more than 50 items per year and after working in Government departments they are looking to tax website owners a flat rate per year.

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I remember visiting my in-laws in Portland, Oregon during April, I kid you not, it rained and drizzled EVERY single day 24/7 for almost 3 weeks!, and finally stopped on the day we were leaving, does it get like that in Canada?.

Vancouver is very close to Seattle, so the weather is similar. Beautiful, international city - but yes - drizzle it does.

socalboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As I did not realize it was from Borat, I deleted my comment. However, I still don't think it's relevant or proper here.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont mind you following me Pred, as long as you have a large portfolio. ;)

If your looking to retire in a tropical climate where your dollar goes a real long way, The Philippine Islands is a great place to live, Many Europeans live and own resorts along the hot beach destinations, but the country has its problems, Although healthcare is very inexpensive, they are not very advanced. They also have a struggling economy as most of you know. But the people are very hospitable and it's a great place to vacation.....Ask Devil Dog.

My unlce just bought a house in the Philippines, he loves it. He stays there about 1 month a year.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
My unlce just bought a house in the Philippines, he loves it. He stays there about 1 month a year.

Time-sharing is indeed ridiculously expensive in the US.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Time-sharing is indeed ridiculously expensive in the US.

They sure are. Better to own a nice beach front property outright in the Philippines, than purchase a time share for a small hut somewhere in Hawaii. My uncle bought the house pretty cheap, not sure what he paid. He lets a Philippine family stay there for free year round, the only rules being they do a good job looking after the place, and offer him a spare room when he arrives. :D

NURCA

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Switzerland, or either British Virgin Islands. Both nice places I've visited.
Brazil - I like this place for my own personal reasons.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

What part in the PI? I'm from Oriental Mindoro, not far from Puerto Galera. I had a home built for my family, a nice 4 bedroom home for only 25K, which includes the land, it doesn't get much cheaper than that.

They sure are. Better to own a nice beach front property outright in the Philippines, than purchase a time share for a small hut somewhere in Hawaii.

I agree, and you can stay a lot longer and go when you want to.

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They sure are. Better to own a nice beach front property outright in the Philippines, than purchase a time share for a small hut somewhere in Hawaii. My uncle bought the house pretty cheap, not sure what he paid. He lets a Philippine family stay there for free year round, the only rules being they do a good job looking after the place, and offer him a spare room when he arrives. :D

Thanks for that idea Seraphim/Raider! You've got my mind spinning with possibilities. Wonder if you're still ahead when airfare is considered?

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What part in the PI? I'm from Oriental Mindoro, not far from Puerto Galera. I had a home built for my family, a nice 4 bedroom home for only 25K, which includes the land, it doesn't get much cheaper than that.

I agree, and you can stay a lot longer and go when you want to.

I'm not sure where exactly, but it sounded like it was a bit off the beaten path. He mentioned that once he arrives in the Phillipines, it's quite a journey by boat to get to his house.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Malaysia. I have had a house there since 1990. Much cheaper than Singapore which is only a 1-hour flight from Penang. No contest :D

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was reading where Vancouver was ranked very high....I've never been to Canada, but I heard it rains quite a bit, I'm sure it varies from different parts of the Country, I remember visiting my in-laws in Portland, Oregon during April, I kid you not, it rained and drizzled EVERY single day 24/7 for almost 3 weeks!, and finally stopped on the day we were leaving, does it get like that in Canada?.

It rains more often than not from mid-nov to mid-feb. But that same time frame sees the rest of Canada, and much of the American mid-west and north-east covered in snow. It snows only once or twice a year here on average and rarely hits the freezing mark.

But that rain gets us world-class skiing on mountains(three different full ski hills) only half an hour from the city, and two hours away at whistler. The reservoirs fill and we get some of the best city water in Canada, lush green forests/parks/yards etc. So it's all subjective. If you are not used to rain it might seem odd, but it's really not that bad all things considered.

Take away the weather and it's almost impossible to beat this city by other metrics. Hence, once again it's yearly perch at the top of the world's best cities.

Still, being here 20+ years I wouldn't mind a transplant to Phuket or Buenos Aires or maybe even Bonn or Prague. :eek:k:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom