Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Which is a better domain selling tactic

Status
Not open for further replies.

krest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I show an interview on domainsherpa.com with rick schwartz (domain king) and adam dicker. They both said something that struck me, as a domain investor you have to be able to wait for the right buyer. Which means that patience is what you require to sell your domain at the right price. Rick also made a statement "That's more easier for the right domain buyer to find him, than him looking for the buyer". Some people are for the opinion that been proactive finding the buyer is the best approach in selling domain.. i will like to know you take on this issue? Is it because these people have high premium domains that's why there are willing to wait? I will like to also know which selling tactics works for you...?g

Domain Summit 2024

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's always better when the buyer finds you. Ideally you are only investing in domains that other people want or will want. There are also times when you need to find a buyer. Try to increase the former and decrease the latter by investing in domains that other people want.

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What it really comes down to is the quality of your domain portfolio... The higher the quality, the less you'll wait. The lower the quality, the longer you'll wait.

This is a side business for me, and since my PPC income more than covers the renewal fees, I don't mind waiting one single bit!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Also, waiting means you are able to potentially go back and contact those that made offers in the past, when another one comes up for the same domain. It's a technique that falls in-between. :D

Incidentally, apparently you don't have ADD in order to watch those epic lengthy videos! :D

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Although I dont PPC my domains, I agree with Raider (this once). ;)

But just like real estate, wait till the customer finds where you live, finds what they want, and desires it enough.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are too many people being "proactive" with total crap names. Today I got a three word 2 hyphen .info offered to me for the low price of 2k because it has one of the words of one of my single word dictionary generic .com names. I will get about 5-10 of these a day. It has gotten old fast.

Please, Please wait for them to come to you. Or at least do not target domainers with the Proactive enduser hunt.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are too many people being "proactive" with total crap names.

totally agree!

to date, i've received a few dozen emails from domainers offering to sell their names for exactly $1288

too many lemmings willing to run off the cliff

:)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rick, Frank, BD, MM etc run well-funded businesses, it's not like the average domainer can compare to them. Their strategy may not be good for you. Domainers need cash flow, they must make sales on a regular basis so they cannot really afford to 'wait' for the right end user. For a few strategic domains yes, but not all of them.

As said above, there is one thing everybody must do: pick domains that are in demand, for which there are end users. If you have good domains end users will find you. These days too many domainers are being 'proactive' and spamming everything that moves because their domains are awful and nobody wants them.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is a huge advantage to holding and waiting. Being proactive to endusers will maybe find you someone interested "at the right price". In other words - for much less. Having someone come to you is the preferred situation. They took the time to research who owns the domain and are truly wanting to buy it from you. Granted, you cannot expect an unrealistic purchase price.
But, that is another topic.... Asking for a lot and figuring the lost sales will be compensated by the extra cash made on the occasional highly priced ones. Some of your larger players hold to this strategy with good results. Usually, a larger portfolio with decent names required. :smilewinkgrin:

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I only contact buyers that have bought a very similar domain very recently. And that is only if I like the price they paid.
e.g. If they bought studio.net and I have studios.net or if they bought studios.net and I own studios.org

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Another great domain selling tactic is to invest in a new TLD, hand register 500+ domains and then go to the forums and hype up that TLD, bragging about how much you know about marketing, when you really don't know squat, Winning the confidence of newbies so they too can invest in a TLD that never had a future to begin with.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Raider, what TLD are you referring at?

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What it really comes down to is the quality of your domain portfolio... The higher the quality, the less you'll wait. The lower the quality, the longer you'll wait.

That, and I guess the volume of your portfolio can be a factor too.

How many quality names does one need to get an inquiry once a week/month? (statistically speaking of course)

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Inquiries are easy. I get 10s.
Sales are harder. But again there is some correlation between inquiries and sales so you might be right.

enterpryzman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My best sales have come from a buyer finding me. I am very direct when speculating on domains and ALWAYS buy singular and plural as a package. When I get an inquiry, I will often then grab the .net and .org to block them out. It is funny how many times someone will inquire when the FIRST thing they should have done way buy .net and .org themselves prior.
I feel if you are contacting a possible buyer, you need a top domain however with a less valuable domain you can build a specific site for their business or niche and more easily sell it.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Raider, what TLD are you referring at?

The one that was supposed to revolutionize the way we browse the internet with handheld devices, The one that was supposed to deliver this wonderful experience, the same experience you can get with .com or any other TLD.

If you ever have time and want to browse the mobi threads and read what members were pushing back then, let me know and I'll be glad to provide you with links prior to 2010.

That, and I guess the volume of your portfolio can be a factor too.

Absolutely, but when you play the numbers game you better have enough PPC income from your domains to cover the reg fees.

Last edited:

krest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your views about this topic... Domain investment is speculative which require patience, there's nothing wrong in been proactive in other to make cash flow. Rick Schwartz (domain king) said something that struck me, he said when he buy a domain his duty is to hold that name for at least 15years. Reflecting on that statement change my way of thinking, which means that if i can't buy a domain that i would like to hold for atleast 5years, then its not worth buying. Its would only cost me $50 to hold it for 5 years...

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Big players in the game have been at it for years and they know what end users want and will often buy only those type of domains. These particular people usually invest in the domains for the sole purpose of eventually reselling at a much higher price or to develop them.

If you have the time and money to research what type of domains are popular and where the market is heading then it will benefit you to purchase on domains of real value because eventually someone will need that domain for a purpose which makes it more valuable and desirable. Selling can be easy if the domain is something that will attract multiple buyers and will be less work for you.

However, there will be times when someone will purchase a great domain but has a smaller audience so to get the best profit you may have to seek them out.

If you are able to buy strong domains and don't need the money then hold on to them at least long enough to see what kind of offers that you get and go from there. If you need money fairly quickly then research potential buyers and give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom