Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Who are YOU to take my TM domain anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize this until now.
An european company is threating to take a domain from me. I don't use the domain for anything other than parking. There are 35 trademarks applications in Europe, 12 in the US and 5 in Mexico.

Why on earth should I transfer the domain to a certain company?
Why to them?
First come, first served ?

What if I donate the domain to one of the mexican TM owners, you for the pleasure of annoy them?

Domain Summit 2024

rusty123

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s the first tm company that puts up valid case?. And unfortunately parking the name will be classing the domain as being used in bad faith. Unless you can prove you are using it for developing.

What if I donate the domain to one of the mexican TM owners, you for the pleasure of fück them up?

I like this idea a lot, having a valid trademark they will be able to defend the rights to this name and I hope they are willing to do so. I’m one of the many people that would like to see laws and regulations change so that anyone who owns a trademark doesn’t think that they have a god given right to own every extension in there name. I think the only right they should have should be the country of origin extension in which they filed for trademark.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize this until now.
An european company is threating to take a domain from me. I don't use the domain for anything other than parking. There are 35 trademarks applications in Europe, 12 in the US and 5 in Mexico.

Why on earth should I transfer the domain to a certain company?
Why to them?
First come, first served ?

What if I donate the domain to one of the mexican TM owners, you for the pleasure of annoy them?

Use a Registrar somewhere in Asia or the Cayman islands and use privacy protection, another words, make it as hard as possible for them to WIPO the domain, and dont reply to their emails or phone calls. If your planning to donate it, you'll have to do it before your Registrar is put on notice, where there required to freeze the domain until the case is settled.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
RG, that's pointless. A UDRP case *will* go forward using the WHOIS data. Failure to respond will result in loss of the domain.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
RG, that's pointless. A UDRP case *will* go forward using the WHOIS data. Failure to respond will result in loss of the domain.

Are you saying there are no jurisdiction issues?....It would be up to the Registrar to comply wouldnt it?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The panel would most likely decide in favor of the complainant due to lack of response. It is important to respond to a UDRP even if the chances of winning it are slim.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you saying there are no jurisdiction issues?....It would be up to the Registrar to comply wouldnt it?

There are no jurisdiction issues. The UDRP is a contract provision which (a) is required by ICANN to be incorporated into domain registration contracts and (b) adherence to which is required in the registrar accreditation agreement.

So, sure, the registrar can refuse to comply, and then be de-accredited by ICANN and cease to be a registrar.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There are no jurisdiction issues. The UDRP is a contract provision which (a) is required by ICANN to be incorporated into domain registration contracts and (b) adherence to which is required in the registrar accreditation agreement.

So, sure, the registrar can refuse to comply, and then be de-accredited by ICANN and cease to be a registrar.

Well, I guess that answers that.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Failure to respond will result in loss of the domain.

Not responding to UDRP does not automatically cause you to lose the case.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You did not mention what extension the domain is. If it is any of the extension located in the US, even if you get rid of it you can still be held liable and prosecuted under the Lanham Act. Look up the penalties if you get a company that wants to make an example of you.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did the domain name's parking page show ads of competing products?

Nope, it show ads related to other of the dozens related trademarks.
It is a generic term in spanish which could be used for anything.

BTW, I'm in Mexico, and I think specific US laws can't reach me, even if I live somehow near to the border :smilewinkgrin:

Extension is .mobi

BTW, I've read a couple of UDRP cases where even when the respondent failed to respond it did not lost the domain.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BTW, I've read a couple of UDRP cases where even when the respondent failed to respond it did not lost the domain.

This is true... but take then number of undefended cases and sort them out, I would guess the percentage is like >99 of an unresponded UDRP winning.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good to know

Brett Lewis

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is true... but take then number of undefended cases and sort them out, I would guess the percentage is like >99 of an unresponded UDRP winning.

True. I saw statistics on this years ago and the numbers were up around 98% or 99%. Of course, it could be that people default more often in less winnable cases, which probably has something to do with the numbers as well. Contested cases are generally contested for a reason -- it is a closer case or there is more at stake.

As long as one avoids the "open mouth, insert foot" syndrome, it is generally better to file any kind of response against an overreaching claim than none at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com