Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Why do people still use GoDaddy? (serious inquiry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just use registrars for my domain needs.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like GoDaddy's UI - it's slow as anything (plus locking up all browswes while something loads will make me scream) but other than that, they're better than many others out there.

I also don't like 10 pages of add-ons and a new window each time I want to look at my domains.

But, they're cheap and TDNAM is a plus.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing that you are missing is if your names are not at Go Daddy is you can get retail eyes on your domains, no other registrar can offer that. If you are with Go Daddy, list your names for sale as Premium names, then they get shown on the front of site and you may actually sell them. It's free to list them as premium names!

-=DCG=-

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had an account issue last night, called support, was talking to an AMERICAN in less than 10 seconds after all the promps (hit #1 for sales, blah blah), and had my issue resolved by the time I was off the phone.

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Indeed, with a dedicated account manager they are OK. Without a dedicated account manager you'll have to deal with the so-called "support" who are trained to copy-and-paste things from their database - and no more.
And, yes, sometimes they have technical issues. Once, I sold a daddy-regged domain to somebody, promptly pushed it to a new owner, and after a month or so found that the domain name is mystically returned to my account (without any pushes or e-mails).
Contacted the buyer and they were very surprised that the domain name was gone from their godaddy account. Other time, their system decided to block me from auction bidding due to mystical "unpaid items" (I did not have any). All such issues are resolvable, but one should never contact regular support with anything like this - regular support would simply unable to understand it.
And, of course, they are still U.S.-based registrar (with all legal consequences applicable to non-U.S. registrants).

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Indeed, with a dedicated account manager they are OK.

Anyone who wants a dedicated account manager should pm me with their shopper id and email and I will get you one.

-=DCG=-

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing that you are missing is if your names are not at Go Daddy is you can get retail eyes on your domains, no other registrar can offer that. If you are with Go Daddy, list your names for sale as Premium names, then they get shown on the front of site and you may actually sell them. It's free to list them as premium names!

-=DCG=-

I've had a handful of domains listed as Premium (no sales yet), just added a bunch more. Forgive me for saying so, but this is typically GoDaddy ... an enticing feature, but with a slow and kludge-y interface.

(The automated "Recommended price" feature is sorta helpful, though it usually comes in well below my desired asking price. For one domain I just added, though, the recommended price is nice and high - $278,888, to be exact! Not bad for a recent TDNAM purchase in the $xx range. :) )

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can these names be forwarded to parking cos.?

Or do name servers need to be set on GoDaddy hosted servers?

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can these names be forwarded to parking cos.?

Or do name servers need to be set on GoDaddy hosted servers?

Sure. Doesn't matter if they are hosted, parked, etc. You can still list them for sale as premiums to the best of my knowledge.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone who wants a dedicated account manager should pm me with their shopper id and email and I will get you one.

-=DCG=-

I'm with Godaddy since 2002 but never had a chance to talk to my account manager. I'm pming you my info right now.

Thank you.
EM

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, I was just informed that one of my premium listings at GD sold. (And lo and behold, the domain is already in the buyer's possession! Wonder when & how I get paid?) Anyway, this gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling about GD, so I retract some of the uncomplimentary things I've said about it. :)

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, I was just informed that one of my premium listings at GD sold. (And lo and behold, the domain is already in the buyer's possession! Wonder when & how I get paid?) Anyway, this gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling about GD, so I retract some of the uncomplimentary things I've said about it. :)

This is by far one of the best things about domains at GD, you get retail eyes from premium listings and you get premium sales at gd.

Congrats on the sale!

-=DCG=-

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Very cool! Congrats!

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats. My enthusiasm for this sale is tempered somewhat by finding out that I will be paid "within 45 days after the end of the month in which the domain is sold". So my domain sold on November 11th, but I may not see the money until the middle of January. Hmm.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats. My enthusiasm for this sale is tempered somewhat by finding out that I will be paid "within 45 days after the end of the month in which the domain is sold". So my domain sold on November 11th, but I may not see the money until the middle of January. Hmm.

That process is being fixed, I'll try and push it through for you. Please PM me the details.

-=DCG=-

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, if I want to sell my names at GD I have to pay the $4.99 yearly fee for GoDaddy auctions? Is this what allows me to set up a "free" premium listing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom