Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why is .mobi in cc tld section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like .com, .net, .mobi, .org, .us, .info and my one and only .tw...elvis.tw.

I don't like brussel sprouts. I like ice cream. I like college basketball. I do not like pro basketball. I like the Cincinnati Bengals and the Carolina Panthers. I also like the Cincinnati Reds. I do not like Ford. I like most european makes and GMC. I do not like New Holland. I do like John Deere.

I do not like Taco Bell, Cook Out, Bojangles, Red Velvet cake, warm beer, smelly people, women with whiskers, Renault, Jeep, Nissan...

The point is, who gives a **** what I like and don't like. Same with many of the comments on this thread. Who gives a **** whether you like a domain or not? Who gives a **** if you are a Jeff Gordon fan or Dale Jr fan.

Are you guys buying .asia? Buy the hell out of it. Or start a damn thread about what a POS that is. Don't like spinach? Who gives a ****. Start a thread. Don't like .eu? Who gives a ****. Jump in the .eu sales or ccTLD and call them a bunch of losers.

Many of you are doing a great job at keeping a simple thread with a simple question alive that has absolutely no relevance to your portfolio or likes or dislikes. Simply showing the mundane stupidity of some who simply have to come in and say I don't like this or that. How about doing something more meaningful with the time on you hands rather than stroking yourselves with greasy sweaty hands?

Obviously your opinions are not carrying any weight in this thread nor changing any minds. Point made, point taken, point don't give a shit expressed time and time. Petition the damn forum with you stupid ass comments on whether it should be a TLD or a ccTLD. In the long run, it still will not change that ICANN has not found this to be a ccTLD.

And create a new section and put it with the new TLD's? Oh, hell...now we want to catagorize it like it is a bottle of wine? New vintage? New Crop?

I got work to do and I'll come back later to see some more stupid ass comments and opinions about a ccTLD, trash, worthless...then we'll figure out a new classification for those comments other than lame or dumb or stupid ass. Those adjectives are getting old just like the argument against .mobi.

Domain Summit 2024

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doc, you are getting a silver.. no make that gold invite when I launch flamewars lol
You are so .. umm.. whats the word.. passionate?

I do adore you :) :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Mej.

DNF has become a release for me. Comic relief. I find myself taking a break at work and see what the hell is going on in the world of domaining on DNF...

Got this typo for sale...
...no, it's not a TM violation
...yea, it's a typo of a famous company and brand
...therefore, it is not a TM
...taking offers starting at $1.00
...BIN set at $25,000. But still taking offers from $1.00
...have an offer of $600
...no, made by PM
...now up to $1000
...yup, via PM
...no buyer wishes to remain anonymous
...I got a C&D from Microsoft for Microsorft
...thats not a TM, I made it up.
...yea, it links to their site and shows their logo and product
...what kind of cheese do you like?
...how much is this worth?
...you're nuts. I paid more than that for it.
...I like Glock
...I like Ruger
...I snitched
...I bitched

A vast portion of what I read on here has simply become unfounded and unsupported and unsubstantiated to any degree. There are a few members that, even though we don't see eye to eye on every issue, can validate and back up their claims with facts.

Yes, it has become comic relief for me. Very little substance coming out of here. Just more of the same day in and day out.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Things I learned today:

Doc Com has 4,000 domains (!!!)
MejCdj is a woman (with an unpronounceable name, still)
-X- raided the LLL .mobi repository and made a killing
Maroulis like his popcorn inflamed
Predator needs a real haircut

As for me, I own one .mobi only and it forwards to my .com :D

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read that thread. What a mess that is.
I don't do TMs, but I won't tell some one else what to reg. Its just my personal pref.

Things I learned today:

Doc Com has 4,000 domains (!!!)
MejCdj is a woman (with an unpronounceable name, still)
-X- raided the LLL .mobi repository and made a killing
Maroulis like his popcorn inflamed
Predator needs a real haircut

As for me, I own one .mobi only and it forwards to my .com :D

LOL.. my name is initials.. not meant to be pronounced lol E1 calles me mej.. Im good with that lol.

Well I am really happy to learn that you have a mobi name. It means you are a little more open-minded than you seemed. Even one .mobi says you have a tiny bit of faith in it. Even if its a safety net for the just-in-case scenario. And it really does not matter where it forwards. You are using it and thats what matters. :)

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BTW acro.. I just looked at your site. Very clean :)
Are you going to offer mobile site design any time in the future?

The girl in the graphic on this page: http://www.acroplex.com/workFolio.php

She has very sad eyes. Just an observation.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
.mobi is not my niche and unfortunately my sole ownership of a .mobi name will remain as such :D

BTW acro.. I just looked at your site. Very clean :)

I'm up for a redesign soon; this one is exactly 2 years old. Thanks for reminding me :)

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi is not my niche and unfortunately my sole ownership of a .mobi name will remain as such :D

Thats too bad for mobile. Other extensions will want to go mobile as well... I really was not specifically talking about mobi :)

You have talent, acro. I can understand staying with something you like and are comfortable with.

Good observation. Probably that way because she read this thread;)

If I were a less patient person.. I might be frustrated to tears too lol

Hope admin replies soon. Its looking like the never ending thread.. it just goes on and on and on lol while we wait for an answer.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi is not my niche and unfortunately my sole ownership of a .mobi name will remain as such
Theo, being the design guru and programmer that you are, would you not sell a client on the concept or notion of a mobile presence?

Would you tell them that .mobi is not a worthwhile pursuit?

If they wanted a mobile site along with the primary site, what would you talk them into? WAP? another prefix or suffix? Would it be mobile compliant and still very fast loading or navigational?

Serious questions. As a designer, programmer, offering complete web site packages to clients, what would you offer? and what would you not offer?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I am not against mobile presence or mobile-oriented design; not sure how I left that impression. As domainer though, I am not into the .mobi extension or any new extension for that matter, that exists solely for the re-introduction of the same pool of keywords.

On the subject of development, detecting the device that accesses a web site and redirecting, for example, a cellphone's browser to different content is what retains traffic within the same domain realm.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not against mobile presence or mobile-oriented design; not sure how I left that impression. As domainer though, I am not into the .mobi extension or any new extension for that matter, that exists solely for the re-introduction of the same pool of keywords.
This I understand. And you bring up a very good point whether pro-mobi or anti-mobi...I can not see why anyone would be against a mobile presence or mobile web. Nearly 2 billion cell phones are not simply going to disappear overnight.
On the subject of development, detecting the device that accesses a web site and redirecting, for example, a cellphone's browser to different content is what retains traffic within the same domain realm.
Have you personally done this?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I am really happy to learn that you have a mobi name. It means you are a little more open-minded than you seemed. Even one .mobi says you have a tiny bit of faith in it. Even if its a safety net for the just-in-case scenario. And it really does not matter where it forwards. You are using it and thats what matters. :)

i have mobi names too

is my mind open also?

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have mobi names too

is my mind open also?

IMO, yes.
I am not saying that if you don't have a .mobi you are closed-minded. That would be very arrogent of me. I am just reacting to the fact that some of those who are so verbal against .mobi .. actually have a few.

I don't understand any of the animosity towards this extension to be honest. Its just a domain extension. Just some letters after a dot. Sure, it has a different (proposed) purpose than the others, but its still just a domain extension.

Instead of some of us having to defend it and why we invested in it, while others keep questioning its value/necessity, why can't we just let it be what it is and move on?

I have no desire to argue over somethng that none of us has a lick of control over. If its adapted and we do well, thats great. If it doesn't and we only make a few dollars per name and/or some rev from developed names, that's great too. Its really not got anything to do with anyone who has not invested, so why do we keep going around on this?

(Not you and I.. I am speaking in general with the supporters vs the non-supporters)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
My reasoning is, that unless you are a big player, or the registry itself, it's next to impossible to get hold of truly generic keywords that warrant traffic. It's the same story with every TLD introduced since the original ones. In other words, those who register every word combo under the sun hoping it will somehow work out, are lemmings in my book.

Also, .mobi was introduced with much fanfare as the central point for mobile/cellphone telephony-enabled web sites. Currently there is little indication that anything of that sort is either developed or accomplished. I've mentioned many times how the standard alternative seems to be the .mobi serving as a forward to a subdomain or subfolder of the .com

MejCdj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My reasoning is, that unless you are a big player, or the registry itself, it's next to impossible to get hold of truly generic keywords that warrant traffic. It's the same story with every TLD introduced since the original ones. In other words, those who register every word combo under the sun hoping it will somehow work out, are lemmings in my book.

Also, .mobi was introduced with much fanfare as the central point for mobile/cellphone telephony-enabled web sites. Currently there is little indication that anything of that sort is either developed or accomplished. I've mentioned many times how the standard alternative seems to be the .mobi serving as a forward to a subdomain or subfolder of the .com

I am at work, so please forgive the slow replies. I have to squeeze it in, but this is so much more interesting lol :)

Peronally, I believe they held those names back to ensure they were developed. Offereing the very best type-in names for auction will surely cut a lot of the domainers out and allow the generics to be developed. With The 6 month development requirement, that makes the most sense to me. I do not mind that at all, because in the end, it will create a better mobile web with more content. Rather than finding a parked page, they will find valuable and relavent informatin, thus making the mobile web more interesting and satisfying, which should, in turn, make the names we hold a little more valuable and useful.

With regards to being the central point for mobile, I believe they have accomplished quite a bit in that area in the short time the extension has been available. They have free tools to help teach us how to develop using their best practices.. which are best to ensure your site is veiwable to all phone types. New apps are being created every day.This is a very new place for all of us to be. Not dissimilar to the original internet when everyone was struggling with building the first websites. They were very basic at that time.. and for quite a while after inital domain name releases.
The biggest differences are, that the original extensions were created for the PC, one type of format was needed for all PCs. We are in a different arena here having to make sure that many different types of devices will view our sites properly. The catch is, that with the original websites, there was not nearly the amount of readily available information to assist in building sites back then. Today, with the mobile web, we have tons of places to go and seek information. The problem seems to be, that many are baffled with the mobile web's different needs and that is delaying a faster growth at the start.

Regarding forwards, the main idea behind .mobi was to allow consumers a sure-bet extension that will always end up with a satisfying experience. All sites will resolve on all phones using .mobi guidelines. Anyone can make a mobile website using the same guidelines under any extension, but .mobi is the only one that 'requires' it. So, using .mobi to forward to a mobile compliant site will only help everyone. It helps you, as consumers are becomming more aware of .mobi and will, likely, use .mobi often. As long as the mobile site that the extension forwards to is using the requrements .mobi as set out, It should not matter at all if it's a forward or a redirect.

We all should understand that in a few years, many phones will have all adapted similar browsers and created their own apps and guidelines that make it possible to reduce or eliminate the .mobi requirements. When this happens, we will have a successful mobile web with billions of surfers who will be able to see any site in many more formats. But for now, right now, it's just beginning and we need these requirements and restrictions to ensure that the mobile web is accessable to everyone.. not just those who can afford the high priced phones. Right now, we need to show the consumer what the mobile web can do, and the only way to do that is to give them some sites to visit with content. that will create the demand for better plans and better phones and that will allow more bandwidth and better accessablility.. making it more profitable for all extensions to 'go mobile'.

Thats how I see it.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Peronally, I believe they held those names back to ensure they were developed.
Personally, I believe they held those names back to ensure they were developed sold to those with deep pocket$$$$$ :)
Besides, premium names like flowers.mobi are still parked.
The biggest differences are, that the original extensions were created for the PC
Well no. The original extensions were not created for some specific device. The web was build on device-independent model or browser-agnostic design if you prefer.
.mobi only creates confusion and breaks the model.
Also it is important to remember that domain names have been around since the mid-80s and the web did not even exist then. The mail protocols even predate domain names.

PS: the way you put it, you seem to depict .mobi as a transitional facilitator to a fully-fledged mobile Internet somewhere in the future. In other words this seems to dilute the value of .mobi domains as I would not love to invest in names that are not future-proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom