Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why list domains for sale....

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess people list domains for sale at sedo and other places just fro exposure and potential clicks on their ppc pages by potential buyers.

This has now happened to me 3 times in the last 3 days.

I go to sedo and find godfather.com

Bid Thread for godfather.com:

2005-11-10 Desired Price: Make Offer
2005-11-10 Your Offer: 4,000 EUR
2005-11-10 Seller´s Counter Offer: 1,000,000 EUR

clearly some people have no intentions of selling as this name is not worth 1 million dollars.

It's a frustratiing process.

-=DCG=-

Domain Summit 2024

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, happens to me quite often, too. On the other hand, 90% of the offers I receive on domains listed at Sedo or comparable marketplaces are far below value and when I make a realistic counter offer the bidder drops out of negotiations... Frustrating.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dcristo said:
Most bidders are prolly resellers I'd say...

I agree but supposedly so are the sellers.

-=DCG=-

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
too many rookies there :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they want to park the names @Sedo but not offer them for sale it's easy: just a checkbox to tick... some are maybe unaware :cheeky:

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
About half of the offers I get on Sedo are $60 - $50 commision = $10.

Right, I'm going to sell RnR.com or Divorce.info for $10.

T

tekz999

One day when they become mature, they will realize their outrageous counter offer is a complete idiocy.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sometimes respond with 1,000,000 counter offers when the offer is 50.00 or 100.00 on a prime name, but 4k uero whats that about 5 or 6k usd is a substanial offer and counter should have been more reasonable i mean what did refinance.com go for 700k and that name is a thousand times better than godfather

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I understand why sellers counter-offer with such ridiculous numbers. On Sedo, there is no way to simply say "No thanks" to an offer without committing to a dollar amount, which is frustrating for buyers like myself. So the seller will enter $1,000,000 (and maybe adds a comment) which essentially puts the ball back into the buyer's court for another round of negotiations.

I've asked Sedo to implement a way for sellers to be able to reply to offers with a simple "no thanks" without entering a counter-offer, and they told me they'd "consider it at their next meeting". lol

I'm not sure what's more frustrating for a buyer -- making an offer on Sedo and getting no response, or making an offer and getting a ridiculous counter-offer. What do you folks think? Does a seller's crazy counter-offer indicate a willingness to at least enter into negotiations with you? Is it better to get some type of reply, or be ignored completely?

And oh -- and I just *love* when this happens -- I make a private offer on a name, and the seller replies with "I have turned down offers significantly higher than yours" without providing any counter-offer whatsoever. Umm, what does "significantly" mean?? lol

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
DotComGod I totally agree! It's so annoying. Also when you put a domain for a certain price and they bid the lowest they possible can.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess the bottom line is that the owner can ask whatever
they want. When you get an offer, you don't know if you're dealing
with Joe Blow at home on his laptop, or MGM studios. To big corporations
a million dollars is nothing, look how much is spent on movie promotions,
advertising, etc. In this example, "godfather" makes most people think
of the movie series, and isn't there also a restaurant chain or something
like that with the same name? Who knows what company out there
might be developing a new product or idea around the same name as
your domain. I think many corporations still haven't grasped the power
of a good domain, they are like the sleeping elephant, and when they
wake up watch what happens to premium domain prices. Compared to
the automobile industry, domains are still at the "hand crank start engines"
stage. What will premium domain prices be in 5 years if they increase at
the same percentage as the last 5 years? The only thing that screws
up this theory is if the internet goes away, or someone invents a way
for people to find websites without domain names, but I haven't heard
of anything like that yet!

DomainQuay

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I put fixed prices on most of my Sedo listings, but it doesn't seem like very many sellers do that, and I'm not sure why not.

If you know what you will take for a name, why not tell people so they can decide for themselves whether or not they want to pay that amount?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol

$86K for a 2 number .org @ sedo!

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DCG, the name is worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay. So you can say, the name is not worth 1M to you, but somebody else can say it is, and then it is. The probability that anyone pays 1M for is close to zero, but it is not impossible. Anyway, I don't think that the seller doesn't want sell it. He wants, he is just stupid (as E-Promote already mentioned). He does not intend to develop the website or the TM, and the traffic is not worth 1M, and it is not worth even 500K. Unlike the bradability (and the entire value) of the domain name, the value of (type-in) traffic can be determine quite precisely...

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
I guess people list domains for sale at sedo and other places just fro exposure and potential clicks on their ppc pages by potential buyers.

This has now happened to me 3 times in the last 3 days.

I go to sedo and find godfather.com

Bid Thread for godfather.com:

2005-11-10 Desired Price: Make Offer
2005-11-10 Your Offer: 4,000 EUR
2005-11-10 Seller´s Counter Offer: 1,000,000 EUR

clearly some people have no intentions of selling as this name is not worth 1 million dollars.

It's a frustratiing process.

-=DCG=-

If you bought it what would be your asking price afterwards? I list names I have no plans to sell at those places along with my other domains and ask crazy prices when inquired upon. Lord knows I've seen crazier actual sales prices and you never know who might come along with a desire to own it much greater than yours.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. As Dominator put it : it depends on what a buyer is willing to pay.... and what a seller is ready to hold out for.

Perhaps GF is worth more than EU4K (I think so) but perhaps not 1M... perhaps it is worth MORE than low 6 figures to the right buyer with a business plan raring to go along with confirmed financing for that plan
?

This is not really specific to SEDO. Back in teh .com days (95-00) we listed a LONG domain for BIN at $400 at a site,... accepting offers. The site was designed such that when an offer was placed, the BIN was no longer applicable.

The buyer offered $200. We countered at $700 and they accepted.

This was for a domain with over 20 characters and not keyword whatsover.

Today, that same name has been regged in many TLDs...

I agree though... it is a bit insulting to have a solid four figure offer being countered with 1M (!) .... I would counter at say 5K.... and stop there.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom