Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why list domains for sale....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, the one thing that annoys me about Sedo is when someone offers you money for a domain, and it's too low, you can't just decline the offer. You have to give a price as well. Sometimes I list domains just to field offers, but I don't necessarily have a price in mind, so it's hard to be sure what to counter with.

I've turned down some considerable offers before (not through Sedo, but from an email sent to my email in WHOIS) and simply said the domain is not for sale. That gets people equally as annoyed, but I think that as the domain owner, if it's worth more to me than to someone else, why should I feel bad NOT selling it at their offered price, even if others would say it's a great price? It all comes down to personal development plans and future domain goals.

Some domains unfortunately fall victim to idiots who will never sell because they can never accept a price, and they have no plans for the domain. The thrill of the potential sale is sometimes more exciting than the actual sale for some people apparently. :-(

On the other hand, sometimes I email people and ask them how much they want for a domain, and it's a fair price. You win some, you lose some.

Domain Summit 2024

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is what sucks about the domain business. Noone wants to pay the asking prices for the domains you have.. Those that do sell pay for the high prices of the ones you want. lol But hey thats what makes the economy go'round..

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
..and I am the idiot that could have registered "Fishing.com" back in my hayday...in case some of you did'nt know that story... :(

people ask for 1 mill+ to encourage you to come back with a higher offer that you may not have made if not compared to that 1 million dollar ceiling...it's like changing the perception and raising the bar on the domains value...for instance...you decide you will pay $500 for a name you want...you offer me $300...I counter back at 500K..so you look at that and figure "wow must be better than I thought..maybe I am shooting too low" then of course you don't do anything crazy..but you most likely won't come back with a $500 offer...you might put in $1000 and have that "theres no way they will take that" feeling (since I asked for 500k) but it's all really just a ploy to get more money for a domain...and think about how many times you come back with another offer when they ask for a HUGE crazy amount...I have got 3 good sales this way and wound up getting imo at least a few hundred extra on my name each time...of course this is all relative to the domain and it's real value but remember that perception is reality for most people. Just my wooden nickel. :eek:k: Tell me if this makes sense!

Chris

Ps- you never know if you have a "whale" or a "minnow" on the line! Some people and companies simply HAVE to have a certain domain name, then if applicable and TM free, YOU set the price...you have to "ask for the money" to get it.

DomainQuay

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Chris, thanks for sharing your "wooden nickle"! And yes, it makes a lot of sense!

M

mole

Mocus said:
Some people and companies simply HAVE to have a certain domain name, then if applicable and TM free, YOU set the price...you have to "ask for the money" to get it.

New namespace is offering alternatives to people and companies to still have a certain name, when sellers quote an unrealistic price, it gives people another reason why they should explore a much more affordable alternative, and why SEO is what defines Internet success, not the name per se.

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HMMMMMM well i contacted the buyer of a 3 letter .info i bought recently. I was after him and he never came down below his price of high xxxxx, i went through sedo and got it for $1.5k

Yojimbo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I suppose godfather.com isn't worth a million $ but then again the names I see selling for five or six figures these days is pretty shocking. I think back at all the domains I just let drop because I didn't think they were any good and I see similar quality names going for 5 figures on the auctions. So, if the guy that own godfather.com waits another year maybe he'll get that million. That's a pretty good salary for a year wait.

FairThrough

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Honest question:
Why not just go through the whois contact info when you get such a brush off?

But at the same time, you of course agree that the name is worth well over the 4k you offered, right?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
other people will sit on names forever because they are hoping for that big buyer to come along and make them rich..most times it never happens..like the owner of touchdown com for instance, he won't take less than a mill no matter what..not even 500k, yet does nothing with the domain...go figure

its STILL pointing at a damn godaddy default parked page after all these years...and I have called him and everything..wont develop it either cause he says he doesnt want to "pollute" the domain...give me a frickin break...idiot should at least have it parked on sedo with an offer page.....I hate people that do this crap.

They should have their domains taken away for non-usage

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
give me a frickin break...idiot should at least have it parked on sedo with an offer page.....I hate people that do this crap.
They should have their domains taken away for non-usage

Why should the world do it your way?

I hate it when people talk this type of crap.

:-D

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny -- I had lunch with a guy trying to sell Touchdown.com for his friend at Pubcon Las Vegas 2 weeks ago...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
really? What did he say for price?

btw- I called the guy when his domain was in redemption like a year ago or so and kept him from losing it...he had no idea godaddy had outdated info and was a few days from losing his domain forever..

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
really? What did he say for price?

btw- I called the guy when his domain was in redemption like a year ago or so and kept him from losing it...he had no idea godaddy had outdated info and was a few days from losing his domain forever..

He didn't say, but I receommended he use Monte (at Moniker.com) as a broker. You might want to contact Monte to see if he's handling the deal. PM me if you need an email address for him.

DomainQuay

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's a bit below 1,000,000 Euros...

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if he countered with 100k, tha would be better. A counter of 1 million tells m he does not wish to sell at all. This may be untrue but it is my interpretation and since I am the potential buyer, I walked away.

-=DCG=-

RTM.net said:
Interesting thread. As Dominator put it : it depends on what a buyer is willing to pay.... and what a seller is ready to hold out for.

Perhaps GF is worth more than EU4K (I think so) but perhaps not 1M... perhaps it is worth MORE than low 6 figures to the right buyer with a business plan raring to go along with confirmed financing for that plan
?

This is not really specific to SEDO. Back in teh .com days (95-00) we listed a LONG domain for BIN at $400 at a site,... accepting offers. The site was designed such that when an offer was placed, the BIN was no longer applicable.

The buyer offered $200. We countered at $700 and they accepted.

This was for a domain with over 20 characters and not keyword whatsover.

Today, that same name has been regged in many TLDs...

I agree though... it is a bit insulting to have a solid four figure offer being countered with 1M (!) .... I would counter at say 5K.... and stop there.

Rob

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the end, he only cost himself money as I would have gone to 40,000 Euros.

We can all use this as a lesson, maybe our counter offers should be reaonable if we don't want to drive away potential buyers.

He didn't know who I was and just assumed I was some idiot bidder wasting his time.

Lesson learned!

-=DCG=-

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
It's a frustratiing process.

I'd like to see the "previous offer" bid threads open to the public, along with User IDs. Or make it a feature available with a paying membership fee, something like that.

90% of offers going either way (buy/sell) on SEDO are a total waste of time. If "end user" types are actually buying through SEDO as they claim then the kind of crap that goes on there will eventually drive them all away.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought everyone wanted $ 1 million..lol

After letting bs.net and bb.org go I have found most all counter offers for a LL in either extension to be so unreal and unrealistic they cannot possibly even take into consideration or care what the market value is.
I kid you not I believe most of these owners are holding out for a sucker. I sold bs.net for $15,100 and bb.org for $20,000, when XX net or org replies $150,000 all the way to a million I decided obtaining a name through a reseller is becoming more and more unrealistic. In my niche any way.

As a realtor I have found dealing with unmotivated individuals is a waste of time. Their idea of fair price never takes the market or comparisons into consideration and generally is laiden with greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom